PDA

View Full Version : LH Fundraiser: L100 Grilles

Titanium Dome
08-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Whether you love them or hate them, there's no denying that the L100 speaker established a benchmark in modern grille design with its Quadrex grille. It was the hallmark of innovative, modern design when it appeared. This distinctive and great design signature slowly faded from view as the original grilles became brittle, began to disintegrate, and eventually crumbled to powder.

Whether we chose to make do with the durable but uninspired Radio Shack replacements, went with the JBL cloth replacements, or just left the grilles off, we lost an important part of the L100's magic when the Quadrex was gone and the stunning Ultra Blue, Burnt Orange, or Chocolate Brown hues vanished from the fronts.

Recently, we have had the chance to buy some very good foam grille inserts that came close to the colors and textures of the originals, and a number of members have enjoyed seeing their L100s reborn in this manner. However, none has ever quite matched the visual, textural, and tactile feel of the original foam inserts, until now.

And while many of us have decided for financial or other reasons not to purchase the grille inserts that have been available heretofore, there is no longer any reason to hesitate, because now you will have a chance to enter a drawing for a pair every time you donate $10 or more to the LH site.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is for the foam grille inserts only, and not for the grille frames. You have to supply your own grille frames.

Take a look:

Titanium Dome
08-25-2007, 11:24 PM
I recently received a pair of these Ultra Blue grille inserts for the purposes of this fundraiser. They are a part of the Collector's Series by forum member indycraft. This is the follow up to his successful Lite Series, which looks good and is more sonically transparent than the original grilles. The Collector's Series is a real back-to-the-roots effort to produce "a look that is close to the originals and captures the spirit of that look."

After showing them to two of my grown children (30 and 32), who helped with their grimy little hands to destroy my original grilles many years ago, the look and feel is amazing. These grilles are easily worth $200 in today's market.

Once this raffle is over, the Collector's Series will be introduced to the public. However, indycraft is donating a pair to this fundraiser prior to their general release, and the winner will get to chose from any of his available colors, and shipping will be included as well.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is for the foam grille inserts only, and not for the grille frames. You have to supply your own grille frames.

Titanium Dome
08-25-2007, 11:25 PM
To keep this as simple as possible and to generate maximum benefit to the Lansing Heritage site, here are the rules:

1. For every $10 contributed to the LH site, one entry will be awarded. A $50 contribution will yield six entries. Additional incremental incentives will apply (see below *).
2. ONLY contributions received during the entry period (12:01 AM Sunday, August 26 through 11:59 PM Saturday, September 15) will be recognized for this event. (see below **)
3. At the end of the entry period, the LH treasurer will send the drawing coordinator (Titanium Dome) a simple spreadsheet showing who donated what. (see below ***)
4. The drawing coordinator will figure the number of entries per entrant, assign a number for each entry, and generate the necessary number of winning numbers using a random number generator.
5. There is only one prize.
6. The winner will be announced in this thread on September 16 or as soon as possible thereafter and will have 48 hours to send a mailing address via private message to Titanium Dome. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in forfeiture of the prize, and a second winning number will be selected at random.
7. The drawing coordinator will notify indycraft of the winner in the agreed upon format, and indycraft and Titanium Dome will coordinate the shipping, depending on the color choice of the winner.
8. In case of dispute, the decisions of the LH Treasurer and the drawing coordinator are final.

*$10=one entry, $20=two entries, $30=three entries, $40=four entries, $50=six entries, $60=seven entries, $70=eight entries, $80=nine entries, $90=ten entries, $100=twelve entries, $110=thirteen entries, and so on.

**NO CONTRIBUTION REQUIRED. Alternate method to obtain an entry: any member or nonmember wishing to receive an entry without making a donation may receive a single entry by sending a private message to Titanium Dome with a request to be assigned a random number (site registration required).

***For the purposes of this event, "Titanium Dome" is the moniker of Doug Semark, a resident of the State of California. The principals of this nonprofit site are located in Maui, Hawai'i, USA; Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; and Long Beach, California, USA.

Titanium Dome
08-25-2007, 11:25 PM

And before you ask, you have to supply your own JBL badges, too.

:yes:

John
08-26-2007, 01:09 AM

And before you ask, you have to supply your own JBL badges, too.

:yes:

Hey what about the L200 guys??? :(

JBLRaiser
08-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Whether you love them or hate them, there's no denying that the L100 speaker established a benchmark in modern grille design with its Quadrex grille. It was the hallmark of innovative, modern design when it appeared. This distinctive and great design signature slowly faded from view as the original grilles became brittle, began to disintegrate, and eventually crumbled to powder.

Whether we chose to make do with the durable but uninspired Radio Shack replacements, went with the JBL cloth replacements, or just left the grilles off, we lost an important part of the L100's magic when the Quadrex was gone and the stunning Ultra Blue, Burnt Orange, or Chocolate Brown hues vanished from the fronts.

Recently, we have had the chance to buy some very good foam grille inserts that came close to the colors and textures of the originals, and a number of members have enjoyed seeing their L100s reborn in this manner. However, none has ever quite matched the visual, textural, and tactile feel of the original foam inserts, until now.

And while many of us have decided for financial or other reasons not to purchase the grille inserts that have been available heretofore, there is no longer any reason to hesitate, because now you will have a chance to enter a drawing for a pair every time you donate $10 or more to the LH site.

Take a look:

Thanks to all responsible for this. I'll be making a donation today.

hjames
08-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Hey what about the L200 guys??? :(

Hey - I'll second that!
Another request for a chance at L200 grill foams!!

Fred Sanford
08-26-2007, 02:02 PM
I'm in! :bouncy:

Make mine blue, please...:applaud:

As always, a thanks to all involved in the donation/administration.

je

Titanium Dome
08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Glad to see some interest here.

This is a bump up, and it is a request to Bo or Rob or Widget or Scott or HP or someone to make this a sticky.

At the same time, can you unstick the Eargle on Everest thread, please?

glen
09-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Good cause, seductive prize, pledge-drive sized graditude for this site
:hyp: I am drawn like a moth to your burnt-orange Quadrex flame! :hyp:
(meaning I donated, count me in!)

Titanium Dome
09-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Glen.

Come on, everyone. Even if you don't need them, you know someone who does. :yes:

There are only eight days left!

indycraft
09-10-2007, 08:34 AM
A classic is always in style.

Thanks to Roger for such a great photograph. Please read this thread to find out how you can have a chance at winning a pair of these foam inserts in your choice of collectors' colors.

Please note the frames on Roger's L-100s are his reproductions which are perfect in every way......right down to the cloth backing!

Best Regards

Bart

indycraft
09-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Freshly painted Collectors' Series in Burnt Orange. They could be yours.

Actual colors apprear differently in photos.

Titanium Dome
09-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Someone is going to win a pair of these amazing grilles. It could be YOU!

This is a genuine "They don't make them like this anymore" moment that came back to say, "Yes they do."

Donate today!

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Ok, time to re-up this thing. Come on guys and gals, make your donation today, and get a chance on these super foam grilles.

You know you want to.

Aren't you tired of this?

Credit to Design Concepts Company

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 11:44 AM
This is NO better. The RS replacement foams just do not cut it.

hjames
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
This is NO better. The RS replacement foams just do not cut it.

I didn't think they were even available, but they're certainly NOT acceptable looking for such a Classic speaker!

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Or maybe you got the brown cloth inserts or did your own in gray. Yeccch! :barf:

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Or maybe you make 'em go nudie rather than show off those gross grilles you have. No, NO, NO! :no:

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
THIS is the look you must seek, and snagging a pair of gorgeous reproductions from a simple donation to LH couldn't be sweeter. One lucky donor is going to win. It could be you.

Seriously, DO IT NOW!

Titanium Dome
09-12-2007, 11:57 PM
Time is running out. Don't be like these guys and live the rest of your life with regret.

indycraft
09-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Hmmmmmmmm dohhhhnuuuuuuuu er chooooooocolate brown.

Collectors' Series Chocolate Brown. Colors appear differently in the photos.

Titanium Dome
09-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Yummmm.

Everyone loves chocolate!

Titanium Dome
09-13-2007, 05:42 PM
This is getting frightening! Time is almost up! Donate today!!

Don't let this happen to YOU!

Titanium Dome
09-15-2007, 07:37 AM
Get your donations in by Midnight, California time.

We'll announce the winner as soon as we wrap things up.

Good luck everyone, and thank you for your contributions.

johnaec
09-15-2007, 08:06 AM
OK, OK, you ol' badger! ;) (It's not like I haven't recouped my donation several times over due to this site... :) ) If I win, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank after I sell 'em, (no L100's here...)!

John

00Robin
09-15-2007, 11:48 AM
that baby orangutan does NOT look happy.....him wants the chocolate...now.

indycraft
09-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Just a few hours left. You still have time to get in or upgrade your chance to win!

Thanks to all of you for supporting the Lansing Heritage Website.

Respectfully,
Barton A. Love

Titanium Dome
09-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Exactly three hours to go.

Titanium Dome
09-16-2007, 01:38 PM
The fundraiser is officially closed, of course, but we may need a little while to get the winner's identity confirmed. Globe-trotting Bo will get me the donation list as soon as he lands on his feet for more than an hour, then I'll post the name/moniker of the lucky member shortly thereafter.

Sending me a PM won't change a) the speed of the announcement, or b) your chances of winning. :)

Thanks again to Bart for supplying the Collector's Edition grille inserts for this fundraiser. :applaud:

Titanium Dome
09-16-2007, 03:58 PM
Lansing Heritage member Glen! Congratulations, Glen. PM me to let me know what color you want, then we can arrange shipping to you.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Titanium Dome
09-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Thanks to Bo who took the time from his travels to forward me the information. Here are some key facts:

Donations totaled $460 ($441.86 after fees).

There were 12 donations altogether.

The largest donation was $100.

There were 54 chances assigned to those who donated and those who exercised the alternative entry method.

Chances were assigned randomly.

Chance #29 was randomly generated as the winner by http://www.randomizer.org/form.htm

Glen was the holder of chance #29.

------------------------------

Bo Putnam provided the donation spreadsheet and names for contributors and Doug Semark provided the names for those requesting alternative entry. All names and amounts are confidential. Doug Semark assigned the number of chances, assigned the random numbers, and entered the relevant data into software to generate the winning number.

Neither Bo Putnam nor Doug Semark were entered or eligible to win.

Barton Love provided the prize and the cost of shipping at no charge to Lansing Heritage.

Don McRitchie approved this fundraiser.

---------------------

Okay, let's all take a break. :cheers:

Fred Sanford
09-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks again to everyone involved, all donations (foam, shipping, money, time, administration, advertising, etc.) are for a great cause.

je

glen
09-18-2007, 12:59 AM
Thank you Bo Putnam :)
Thank you Doug Semark (Titanium Dome) :)
Thank you Barton Love (indycraft) :)
Thank you Don McRitchie :)
Thank you Lansing Heritage! :)

About a month ago I got a pair of L100s that came with perfectly good cloth replacement grilles (my first L100s). As much as I was tempted by indy's wonderful quadrex grills I couldn't really justify buying a pair, but I couldn't shake the vision of these speakers with the restored grills sitting in my living room.

Then I saw Dome's announcement of the fundraising raffle in this forum. It seemed like the perfect answer: stoke my chances with a donation to a good cause and leave it in the hands of fate.

Of course when I saw that the raffle ended on my birthday I thought fate was on my side. But once you start to believe in luck you start to fear the jinx, so I didn't mention my hopes for a Lansing Heritage birthday present to anyone.

Thank you all for making my birthday wish come true :o:

glen
09-18-2007, 01:06 AM
Just thought I would post a few pics of L100s with their plain cloth grills, grilles off (no pushed in domes), and in my living room.

I'll post more pictures when they get all decked out in their new burnt orange quadrex duds!

Fred Sanford
09-18-2007, 05:31 AM
OK, then, I don't feel so bad losing to the birthday boy- congrats, Glen, sounds like it was meant to be, let's see the "after" pics!

je

:birthday:

glen
09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Got the beautiful quadrex foam inserts yesterday with best birthday wishes from Bart. :p

But now my cloth grills are refusing to go quietly into the night.

While one of the cloth inserts is simply pressed snugly into the frame and pops out with only a little prying, the other stubbornly refuses to budge, I can barely pry up one corner :banghead:

I don't see any attachment screws on the backside, so I'm assuming that someone thought this grill needed a bit of glue to help it stay put.

Does anyone have some tips on getting these suckers to let go and make way for the burnt orange beauties wainting in the wings? I am very afraid that I will get overenthusiastic in my prying and shatter the fragile grill frames :(

Can wait to get these guys into their new suits! :bouncy:

rww1951
09-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Glen those old replacement grilles have a soft wooden frame. Try taking an awl and stick it into the side through the grille cloth (stay away from the walnut band edge) and tap on the side of the awl to pop it out of the frame. If everything goes bad I have some great replacement frames just ask Bart. Hope this helps as I have used this method on my frames with stuck inserts.

indycraft
09-28-2007, 05:56 PM
YES, they are great reproductions fashioned by a true craftsman.

glen
10-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I temporarily mounted the foam inserts into the frames
(just couldn't resist) though I don't have JBL badges for them.

They're beautifully made and it's just awesome to see them sitting there! :o:

Here's a thread about how I attached the inserts using velcro:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18503