PDA

View Full Version : Vintage JBL / Altec Ads

ARRAY
08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
For the groups' perusal...

I took the time to sort through some old electronics hobbyist magazines last weekend and came across a few interesting ads. Many of the magazines were from early to late 1950's. A few of the ads are presented here for interested members of the group.

(hmmmm is that happy camper in the picture Keith of Kickwood?) :)

jblwolf
08-24-2007, 06:52 AM
I also have many ads but I have a few posters,IM sure youve seen the "are those my JBL's",the rarer ones like-2 for stereo is 2'X3' and do it yourself is a little smaller both I got from a local JBL dealer that is now long gone and they are still in the shipping tubes.sorry about the size but I didnt want to take up too much space.

00Robin
08-24-2007, 09:11 AM
I LOVE all the old ads. I remember when I got my first set of Altecs in the cabinets I still have and use with the "newer" old Altecs in them now. The evil step-father-in-law I got them from explained how they were popular kits to DIY back in the late 50's. He built them himself. I almost did not believe him because being only 18 at the time (late 70's) I had no conception of the whole build your own stereo dreams at home idea. It was buy a big ole Sony system then. Boy was I the fool. Until I HEARD them and married his step son and "somehow" I wangled the speakers and cabinets and the receiver because no one really paid any attention to them but ME! HA! Me still have and love them more and more and more.....The second set I bought has the original folder of paperwork but its not quite what I'm after,its what someone who knows what is about can use.
I LOVE the old diagrams,the cabinet building diagrams,all of it! I just wish I knew what all the things were in there and what they are all about. Anyone know the real book on them? One thats readable? I can replace them and hook them up properly,but I want to KNOW what all that stuff is and what its for. Not just be able to wing it.

ARRAY
09-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I also have many ads but I have a few posters,IM sure youve seen the "are those my JBL's",the rarer ones like-2 for stereo is 2'X3' and do it yourself is a little smaller both I got from a local JBL dealer that is now long gone and they are still in the shipping tubes.sorry about the size but I didnt want to take up too much space.

Thanks for sharing yours Wolf...

ARRAY
09-03-2007, 09:33 AM
I LOVE all the old ads. I remember when I got my first set of Altecs in the cabinets I still have and use with the "newer" old Altecs in them now. The evil step-father-in-law I got them from explained how they were popular kits to DIY back in the late 50's. He built them himself. I almost did not believe him because being only 18 at the time (late 70's) I had no conception of the whole build your own stereo dreams at home idea. It was buy a big ole Sony system then. Boy was I the fool. Until I HEARD them and married his step son and "somehow" I wangled the speakers and cabinets and the receiver because no one really paid any attention to them but ME! HA! Me still have and love them more and more and more.....The second set I bought has the original folder of paperwork but its not quite what I'm after,its what someone who knows what is about can use.
I LOVE the old diagrams,the cabinet building diagrams,all of it! I just wish I knew what all the things were in there and what they are all about. Anyone know the real book on them? One thats readable? I can replace them and hook them up properly,but I want to KNOW what all that stuff is and what its for. Not just be able to wing it.

Hi Robin, glad to hear you are also a fan of audio ephemera. Are you asking if there is a book available on DIY Hi-Fi loudspeakers?

00Robin
09-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Hi Robin, glad to hear you are also a fan of audio ephemera. Are you asking if there is a book available on DIY Hi-Fi loudspeakers?
Actually,yes. I have a rather long way of saying alot of stuff but never getting to the point.
Yes,I would like to know about books available for DIY AND how they work and what all the things are for. I can replace the speakers correctly and wire them as I did do once,but I want to UNDERSTAND it all. All of it.
Could you direct me? I would be forever very pleased for the help.