PDA

View Full Version : Diffracted wavelenghts

richluvsound
08-22-2007, 03:37 AM
Hi Folks,

I am well on the way with my 4333a refurb. I cut the lip off the front baffle.

I would like to leave it off . I'm concerned about possible diffracted wavelengths. It did spring to mind that DW was compensated for in the original crossover design. Can anyone advise me on this please.

Rich

Andyoz
08-22-2007, 04:08 AM
Interesting, I would like to know what sort of compensation was used for it in the crossover.

I suspect that taking the lip off is only part of the solution, you really need to seriously round off the baffle edges to start attacking the problem and even then it is only the high-frequencies and I wonder if it's worth it given the directivity of the horn. My 250's are a different kettle of fish with dome mid and I really think that the 250's weird asymmetrical upper shape and curved edges helps diffration 100%.

I will be interested what everyone else has to say.

p.s. they are looking great...are these going to Canada with you (and YES, it's a leading question..:))

richluvsound
08-22-2007, 05:17 AM
......is the answer to your leading question. I would like to enjoy them for a while and find them a new home.

I thought about a radius on the edge. But ,apparently it would need to be more than 20mm to make any difference. I would have to rebuild from the inside out. My conversations with Rick ( reissen ) lead me to believe for resale purposes I'd do better to fully restore them to original walnut look.
I tend to agree. They will be offered to forum members at a reasonable price.
If I can recover a good proportion of what I put into them I'd be more than happy.:)

Rich

Andyoz
08-22-2007, 05:46 AM
I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Just keep them as original.

All this talk about diffraction should really be left to the audiophiles...you know, the ones that rave about 2-ways with 4" woofers. :D

richluvsound
08-22-2007, 06:42 AM
Andy,

I hear you.... Besides, the veneer just arrived and that is something I aint done before. Where the devil is the Chicago Maestro when you need him. :banghead:

The DW issue is best left to the next project. Mystic Merlin and Genius Guido can sort that lot out.

Rich

merlin
08-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Rich,

I believe you need an edge radius of at least 2" to effectively combat the diffraction issue so I wouldn't worry too much. Looking good. Stick some 1500al's in there - that'll perk 'em up :D

richluvsound
08-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Hi Merlin,

I was thinking that. Just to try em out for the weekend. :D I could'nt justify leaving them in there. I need those for you know what. But, they would help while the 2231's are in Germany.

Answer your bloody phone ! You have no time for women , we got speakers to build.

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
08-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Too many loudspeakers...not enough time!

merlin
08-22-2007, 03:18 PM
He's getting "all high and mighty" Ian. 4345 not good enough for him :banghead:

Ian Mackenzie
08-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Merlin,

I think its natural to consider and talk about these things as part of your journey. As a hobbie it is meant to be fun. There was a time when what you guys are saying was more or less unprintable.

Whether is helps or not is besides the point for the most part.

Ian

richluvsound
08-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Merlin,

I never said that. What I did do, was to point out concerns .
After I have finished your cabs I'm gonna make you a WOODEN SPOON. Although ,I will admit to suffering from the NIRVANA syndrome. And, I aint talking Seattle grunge either ! Perhaps when I have had some driving lessons I will settle down. It is kinda like getting having a Ferrari for my first car !

Its the same with everything I make. I want to do better. The why I'm an Artist. :banghead: The blessing, the curse. Wo tis me .I'm so misunderstood !

The Genius in his own mind:barf:

macaroonie
08-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Almost a EU only thread---------- nice one Rich
DW -- you gots to make em skinny as in my 4315's works a treat though.
Try rounding off the inner front lip of your grilles - wont hurt:D