PDA

View Full Version : broken 2245

Thom
08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
I recently received a broken 2240 on a 2245 frame. It looks perfect but the voice coil is stuck all the way in. Is there any way to know if it's a shifted magnet before taking it apart? In fact how do you determine whether the VC is jammed because it's destroyed or because the magnet has shifted (yes I know, and destroyed the VC.) my reason for asking is that I believe it makes quite a difference in the value of the frame. It's probably not worth very much if the VC is what is bad and nothing if the magnet has shifted. Thanks for the help. Pay pal got me back $200.00 of my $257 and if the frame is good I think I'm OK.. If the magnet is shifted I think I still got shafted.

subwoof
08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
remove the rubber magnet tire. In some of these damaged magnets you will see a crack that goes all the way around or one surface will be moved over a bit.

you can also remove the dustcap and look for a shifted pole piece.

If either scenario is present, you have a doorstop.

THEN you can do this:

Get a collection of flat blade screwdrivers ( and a hammer ) and tap a small one between the surfaces that have shifted. Follow with a really large one and continue all the way around. Increase the separation to about 1/2 inch and you can pull off the rear part by hand.

Now you have a nice big passive radiator with the correct mass for a 2240. And if the magnet isn't damaged, one helluva nail-picker-upper for the shop.

:)