PDA

View Full Version : 4301B big brothers

tweeter
08-20-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi,
what are the differences between these speakers?
Do they sounds equal or similar?

B.R.

tweeter
08-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Hi,
what big brothers of 4301B sounds equal (and better)?

B.R.

soundboy
08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi,
what big brothers of 4301B sounds equal (and better)?

B.R.

Better is a relative word...in what way? Dynamic range? Output level? Power handling?

All of the bigger 43XX play louder than the 4301B. But in my experience, whatever it's worth, the 4301B is a magical little 2 way, with great imaging and frequency balance, only really lacking in the utimate top frequencies...but it is so "musical" sounding, a person might not care, or miss that. Mine certainly don't lack "sizzle" on the top, especially after some simple crossover parts changes...

If you want louder, better, whatever...I certainly wouldn't sell the 4301's and "move up"... keep them and search out some big brothers....because, I don't think that they sell for what they are really worth in musical enjoyment anyway, and you will miss them......but I feel the same way about the L96...
To me, the L96, or better yet, the 4313B, is worth twice what I have seen them sell for on the market....compared to other "vintage" speakers...but the "collectors" want the big guys, 4315, 4333, etc...
Another way to put it...."better" at what cost? They all can sound great with the right setup and equipment...
Just my two cents...

soundboy
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Hi,
what are the differences between these speakers?
Do they sounds equal or similar?

B.R.
Do a search for these on here...there is a ton of reading here about this subject...
Very similar design, except for a few crossover parts differences, and a different tweeter, that give the 4313B a smoother response in the midrange, and more top end..

Inspector34
08-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Obviously, if you have th space, the bigger, the better, what don't you like about the 4301B besides they're relatively low efficiency for your amp?? Granted they are small speakers, but I found the bass satisfying, the mids very musical and well presented with a decent "sizzle" to the highs with most recordings... For a small 2-way speaker I am not sure what more you can ask for..

If you want a small upgrade and want a 2-way, the L26 is a step up bass wise, I'd imagine the rest of the sound to be similiar.. I have been mightily impressed with a forgotten little 3-way, the L36... The mids are a bit "in your face", but are VERY satisfying...

It all depends on the type of sound reproduction you are looking for, your room size and your listensing tastes. Without know what your intended use is or your preferences (ie. the type of speakers you have enjoyed listening to in the past), its hard to say what would be "best" for you...

If I were you I'd enjoy the speakers you have for now assuming they are working properly... They might surprise you with a little listening :D.

Inspector34
08-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Can we take it you are not happy with the 4301B's?? If so, what don't you like about them?

SEAWOLF97
08-21-2007, 04:52 PM
If you want a small upgrade and want a 2-way, the L26 is a step up bass wise, I'd imagine the rest of the sound to be similiar.. I have been mightily impressed with a forgotten little 3-way, the L36... The mids are a bit "in your face", but are VERY satisfying...:D.

I've stated before and each time many agree with me that: L26's are really nice while L36's seem to be a downgrade - somehow adding the mid to the 26 to make a 36 really didnt work out very well............. IMHO

tweeter
08-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Absolutely no, I´ll never sell my beloved 4301b´s. I´ve been looking for a long time and finally I found it. After, I spent so much time for restoring.
They are perfectly matched with my MF tripleX as "B equipment" and the sound is wonderful.
For my "A equipment" I´m searching a big brothers with similar sound but more efficiency because the low power delivery of the amplifier.

B.R.

majick47
08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
Any of the 4301b "big brothers" are going to put you back in the same boat re the amp you intend to use. For the best performance they (4301b and the big brothers) need plenty of clean very high quality amplification, period. Right now I'm listening to my 4301b powered by a Yamaha MX-2000 amp (130 watts x 2), little brother to the rare and legendery Centennial Yamaha MX-10000 amp (250 watts x 2) and the performance is KILLER/SUPERB. In fact I'm just as happy listening to these as my primary system JBL L300, that's just how good the 4301b are.