PDA

View Full Version : BOGUS woofers

SEAWOLF97
08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm starting to make progress on moving the backlog of speakers in storage, so....I haul out some old LARGE ADVENTS. Never had really looked at them , just bought the pair and straight to the shed.

Pulled the grilles and thot.."kinda weird" looking.....reverse surrounds and a funny woodgrain piece. pulled the woofers and started looking closer....yeah, standard 12 in basket, BUT a 10 in cone.

The woodgrain thing was a shim or extender that reduces the opening from 12 to 10. The foam is glued to the UNDERSIDE of the extender. So I followed their lead and glued the 10 in a 12 basket to the underside. Then with the shape of the cone I noticed that there was no lip to glue to as the factory did it.....ended tucking the inside edge of the foam under to the backside of the cone, like we all do.....mind you that this is while the foam is in back wards..

Anyway, it came out good and sounds fine , tho I hope to never do one of these again.:o:

edgewound
08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
The Advent 10" takes a flat lip attach surround.

It is a pain to prep the woofer cone for a new surround...the original location is the front of the cone.

But...if they work for you....good job.

As ugly as those drivers are...they have a nice sound quality. They sold mass quantities of that model. The thinking for that woofer was to isolate the cone from the frame.

Years ago....I had a customer that wanted to "beef up" the system....so I trimmed out the inside edges of the mahogany and shoehorned in a 2213. He loved it.

opimax
08-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Check Dahlquist speakers also, these are in the either the DQ-20 or 10 depending on the actual drivers, tell by magnet color clear (silver)10 , bronze 20 also use these. DQ-10 1 of the top 100 speakers of all time in many peoples eyes.

Mark

RKLee
08-17-2007, 11:28 AM
I remember these Larger Advents in it's hey days. It was very highly rated by the critics they also mention the same thing about a 12" with a 10" cone, such as Consumer Reports. I bought a 3-way 10" AR2ax because I like the sound a bit better. After all of these years, my 10" AR woofer's foam surround is all cracked and need a refoam.

SEAWOLF97
08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
The Advent 10" takes a flat lip attach surround.

It is a pain to prep the woofer cone for a new surround...the original location is the front of the cone.

But...if they work for you....good job.

As ugly as those drivers are...they have a nice sound quality. They sold mass quantities of that model. The thinking for that woofer was to isolate the cone from the frame.

Years ago....I had a customer that wanted to "beef up" the system....so I trimmed out the inside edges of the mahogany and shoehorned in a 2213. He loved it.

I always try to follow the manufactures example , even if it is contrary to the current line of thinking....they knew more than I for sure...with the angle of the cone it just worked out better to put the foam on the backside.......been running them for a week, very nice sound , well built cabs,, not impressed with the construction of the LF, but it works well, very nice highs.

This morning I pulled the Advents off and put up the nearly completed Yamaha NS-690ii's . These are essentially NS-1000's w/o the BE HF. The buggers are the size of L100's but 10 pounds heavier. Baffle is veneered and they are really quite nice looking , finishing up the grilles today.
The Yams are very foreword and punchy.....after the refoam , replacing binding posts , refinishing the veneer and new cloth,,I think they will replace the 4412's in the LR and the more expensive JBL's are for sale.