PDA

View Full Version : Woofer for Altec A7?

allen mueller
08-16-2007, 03:36 PM
What Altec woofer would best be suited for my A7 cabinets. I am currently looking to get something form GPA, and there are many choices. I went to the library and I see that Altec used a few different woofers in that cabinet.

I have tried 421A's and 421 LF's. Curently I use B&C woofers, but i want something a little more open sounding.

I am leaning twards the 515-8LF at the moment.

Allen

Tom Brennan
08-16-2007, 04:12 PM
IME&O best bass was with 416s, best midrange was with 515Bs. So I used 515s and big subs, Hell, you should probably use a sub with 825-828 cabinets regardless of the woofer used.

scott fitlin
08-16-2007, 04:15 PM
What Altec woofer would best be suited for my A7 cabinets. I am currently looking to get something form GPA, and there are many choices. I went to the library and I see that Altec used a few different woofers in that cabinet.

I have tried 421A's and 421 LF's. Curently I use B&C woofers, but i want something a little more open sounding.

AllenI have two of bills GPA Altec 515-8LF,s in right now, they are good, very efficient through the midband, but not really bottom heavy sounding. Crack of the snare drum is good. Vocal range is good.

I also tried two of Bills GPA Altec 416-8C,s. WOW, the bottom end is HUGE, very clean and detailed, you hear every note. Midrange is slightly less, and I mean slightly, from the 515, but VERY open sounding, transient snap is fantastic, crack of the snare has that transparency, its killer. Drums are so clear, each note in its own space, and clearly defined, same for basslines. Vocals sound so smooth, yet, its all there. Bass is LARGE, you hit a bass transient, you get some oomph out of these. And, I have 421,s, and let me tell you, I found I LOVE the paper dustcap with the little hole and screen in the center, and Im not missing the aluminum dustacp from the 421 at all.

I have all Altec horn cabinets, I had the 416,s in an 817A which is a vented basshorn, and I have the 515,s in the same 817A.

The 515 is slightly more efficient, but in the midband not LF! The 416 made a much fuller sounding bass IMO, and even at a 97db sensitivity rating, I find them to be extremely efficient.

Or let me put it another way! I have been looking to go back to Altec for a while now. I tried both that 515 and the 416, I ordered 14 GPA 416-8C,s. In the next few weeks, they should be here, and I will put em when they get here. The 515 is good, the 416 is better for what I want to hear. The 416 seems to give alot more low end, the mids are there, its not lacking at all. The tonal balance for me is really good, and you save a few dollars with the 416, as the 515-8LF is a bit more expensive.

louped garouv
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
416-8B or 416-8C for more lows

I really really like 515Bs too....

not to sure on the breakdown of the pros/cons of the other variants...
but there are a few documents floating around that talk that...

look for the Jim Dickinson VOTT modification articles that appeared in Sound Practices....

have you visited
http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/forum/f/3729

it's the Todd White Altec users board.....

scott fitlin
08-16-2007, 04:29 PM
416-8B or 416-8C for more lows

I really really like 515Bs too....

not to sure on the breakdown of the pros/cons of the other variants...
but there are a few documents floating around that talk that...

have you visited
http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/forum/f/3729

it's the Todd White Altec users board.....Yeah, 515B,s in the BIG Altec basshorns, yes, but in an A7 the 416 is a better choice, I think. Especially in smaller room for home use.

The 416-8B is regarded by many, it has the alnico magnet, but I didnt want to search and piecemeal, have to send em back for reconing and recharging, so I just bought brand new ferrite 416-8C,s from Bill. Truthfully, I didnt know what to expect, Bill thought I would like the 515-8LF better, but I just listened, and when I heard the 416,s I LUVVVED what it did. The bottom end was huge, the mids are there, so present sounding, yet mellow too. Instruments, well you hear every little fret buzz, percussions buried in the mix, etc.

The 515 doesnt sound quite as open and transparent to me, it has very good vocal range presence, but the bottom end isnt as big, or deep sounding as the 416 to my ears. Oh, and even with just two of the 416,s in my room, my volume control became VERY sensitive, so imagine what the room will be like with the whole midbass range loaded with the 416,s?

Both you and Allen play dance music, as do I, I really cant see you NOT liking the 416, its sweet.

:)

allen mueller
08-16-2007, 05:59 PM
I just placed the order for two 416-8C's off their ebay store. The sound you describe scott is what i'm going for. I can't wait to get them in.

I bet your place is going to sound crazy with all those new altecs in.

allen

scott fitlin
08-16-2007, 09:06 PM
You should adore them. Allen, what amp do you plan to use? These dont need alot of power.

allen mueller
08-17-2007, 03:05 AM
I have a crown PS 400 (165 a channel) that i plane to use. I have a PS 200 that i use to drive the hf section.

allen

Russellc
08-17-2007, 06:40 AM

Allen
If interested, see my listed Altec 515 8G in "marketplace" or PM me.

russellc

Russellc
08-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Yeah, 515B,s in the BIG Altec basshorns, yes, but in an A7 the 416 is a better choice, I think. Especially in smaller room for home use.

The 416-8B is regarded by many, it has the alnico magnet, but I didnt want to search and piecemeal, have to send em back for reconing and recharging, so I just bought brand new ferrite 416-8C,s from Bill. Truthfully, I didnt know what to expect, Bill thought I would like the 515-8LF better, but I just listened, and when I heard the 416,s I LUVVVED what it did. The bottom end was huge, the mids are there, so present sounding, yet mellow too. Instruments, well you hear every little fret buzz, percussions buried in the mix, etc.

The 515 doesnt sound quite as open and transparent to me, it has very good vocal range presence, but the bottom end isnt as big, or deep sounding as the 416 to my ears. Oh, and even with just two of the 416,s in my room, my volume control became VERY sensitive, so imagine what the room will be like with the whole midbass range loaded with the 416,s?

Both you and Allen play dance music, as do I, I really cant see you NOT liking the 416, its sweet.

Agree with your assesment of the 416 8C, which is what I am currently using in my A7s....while they do seem to have a little more bass than the 515 8G in the same cab, I wouldn't say the Bass, while "Huge" maybe, isnt really that deep. Just an A7 characteristic!

russellc

scott fitlin
08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Agree with your assesment of the 416 8C, which is what I am currently using in my A7s....while they do seem to have a little more bass than the 515 8G in the same cab, I wouldn't say the Bass, while "Huge" maybe, isnt really that deep. Just an A7 characteristic!

russellcWell, I had them in an 817A, which is a double 15in cabinet, and a bit bigger than an A7, and the bottom was huge sounding.

Knowing the cabinet and woofer, I agree, IT ISNT as deep as people think it is, but it sounds like goes deep. I played one track off CD, Love and Happiness by River Ocean, the intro has a deep organ note, I havent heard a rumble and growl like that since I last had Altec woofers in my system. Standing 25ft away from this particular stack with the 416-8C/817A as the midbass component, the low end lands on your chest and sounds deep, and underlying bass type of sound. The beat of the kick drum is centered on the strike of the beater and nicely damped, and very clear, sounds like a kick drum. Then you get some harmonics that make it sound like it goes deep, deeper than it really is, BUT I LOVE THAT SOUND!

Whether or not the 416 really goes deep in an A7 wasnt the point, it will sound audibly deeper in a proper cabinet than the 515, I hear it. I have two 515,s in right now, good midrange, nice transient snap, shallow sounding bottom end. The 416 is not quite as sensitive in the mids, but the bass is alot more than the 515.

Again, the A7 is considerably smaller than my 817A cabinet, although my 816A,s are smaller than A7,s, but all of the above mentioned cabinets make a really nice sounding, punchy bottom, with good underlying bass, and I know it isnt truly deep, but it sounds proper to me, and even sounds deeper than I know it really is.

Jus my opinion, :)

scott fitlin
08-17-2007, 12:15 PM
I have a crown PS 400 (165 a channel) that i plane to use. I have a PS 200 that i use to drive the hf section.

allenPS400 should be a good choice for your woofers, just dont overdrive them. This will make a nice sounding bottom end.

Russellc
08-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Well, I had them in an 817A, which is a double 15in cabinet, and a bit bigger than an A7, and the bottom was huge sounding.

Knowing the cabinet and woofer, I agree, IT ISNT as deep as people think it is, but it sounds like goes deep. I played one track off CD, Love and Happiness by River Ocean, the intro has a deep organ note, I havent heard a rumble and growl like that since I last had Altec woofers in my system. Standing 25ft away from this particular stack with the 416-8C/817A as the midbass component, the low end lands on your chest and sounds deep, and underlying bass type of sound. The beat of the kick drum is centered on the strike of the beater and nicely damped, and very clear, sounds like a kick drum. Then you get some harmonics that make it sound like it goes deep, deeper than it really is, BUT I LOVE THAT SOUND!

Whether or not the 416 really goes deep in an A7 wasnt the point, it will sound audibly deeper in a proper cabinet than the 515, I hear it. I have two 515,s in right now, good midrange, nice transient snap, shallow sounding bottom end. The 416 is not quite as sensitive in the mids, but the bass is alot more than the 515.

Again, the A7 is considerably smaller than my 817A cabinet, although my 816A,s are smaller than A7,s, but all of the above mentioned cabinets make a really nice sounding, punchy bottom, with good underlying bass, and I know it isnt truly deep, but it sounds proper to me, and even sounds deeper than I know it really is.

Jus my opinion, :)

Oh, I missed that small point, I thought you were talking A7! I understand what you mean about the bass...most slamming for what is there, and what is lacked in deep bass is made up with bass punch. In those large cabs, with the 416 8C I am sure you are getting better low bass than the A7s do.

russellc

Zilch
08-17-2007, 03:14 PM
Tom Danley got 1/2+ octave lower out of A-7s using 2226H and retuning them, he claims:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=82503&r=&session=

Sacrilege!!

[But worth considering, perhaps.... :yes: ]

scott fitlin
08-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Tom Danley got 1/2+ octave lower out of A-7s using 2226H and retuning them, he claims:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=hug&n=82503&r=&session=

Sacrilege!!

[But worth considering, perhaps.... :yes: ]Yes, you can use different woofers and get lower in frequency response, and I HAVE had 2226,s in my Altec cabinets, and I DO NOT LIKE how they sound in these types of cabinets. To my ears, the bass sounds hard, and like a knocking sound using 2226,s in Altec basshorns, and you lose the critical low mids the Altecs do so well. Altec woofers make a musical sounding bass in Altec cabinets, what MY ears tell ME is that the Altecs work well in Altec cabinets because they load correctly. The loading IMO, is not proper for a JBL 2226 woofer.

Tom Danley makes some good cabinets, and Im sure with retuning the A7 it probably does work, but Im fairly sure they wont sound like an Altec, and Altec is the sound I love best. I know I may get shot for saying this, BUT, I dont really care for JBL midbass. I love their tweeters, comp drivers, and 18,s, but I just dont care for JBL midbass. OK, I said it, shoot me now!

Conversely, I like JBL 2226,s in scoops, and in ported quad boxes. The way I would do things using the 2226, is a four way full range, consisting of ported quad cabinets loaded with 2226,s, horn loaded 2020H,s, the horn/driver combination of your choice, and a tweeter, of whatever the systems designer finds preferable!

allen mueller
08-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the great responses guys. I was away over the weekend and had no computer access. The drivers should be here on thursday.

I have been using the cabinets for a couple of months with out a sub and have been happy with the bass response so i am not to concerened with using them with out a sub. I love the effecency i get out of the system as a whole. Normal listening levels the signal lights on my amps hardly ever light up. Getting the altec drivers back in them sould be a good move.

allen

scott fitlin
08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
You will be quite surprised at the sound you get with the 416,s. The ease they have with the low mids, and the sweet sounding bottom, will be amazing. I really dig the tonal balance of this woofer, it just sounds so smooth and open.

When you get them, you look at the quality of construction, I swear they are works of art. The cone has such a nice look and feel, they sound great. Nice big mounting gasket around the front rim of the basket. The only little thing I dont like are the screw terminals instead of push terminals, but, oh well, you put em in once, and thats that! But, they are well made, "American Made" in a world of "Made In China" these days, and it shows! It really does.

These have the magic, that is what we all thought, my oldest employee, Rob, who has been here almost since the place opened, said that sounds the way the speakers we used to have sounded! I told him, basically they are what we used to have, only brand new.

Altec is my favorite sound. And these are special, they have it! Mine will be coming along in a week or two.

Storm
08-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Wow, funny you say that.

My dad blew one of his 416's and instead of throwing it away, he gave it to me. I have it in my living room as a show piece. Even though I listen to JBL, I cannot forget what turned me on to great music -- those sweet sounding 416's.

I even have it leaning back on a speaker stand. I know, I am pitiful.

LOL.

;)

-Storm

When you get them, you look at the quality of construction, I swear they are works of art. The cone has such a nice look and feel, they sound great. Nice big mounting gasket around the front rim of the basket. But, they are well made, "American Made" in a world of "Made In China" these days, and it shows! It really does.

louped garouv
08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
you should send it to GPA for a rebuild and make a mono system Storm....

it could be pretty fun...

hope all is well...

SMKSoundPro
08-24-2007, 11:18 AM
In the "ZilchLencia" project, I worked with 416-16 ohmers, and understand their appeal.

That little box had a pretty good kick to it, that I started to really like, as compared to my L200b's with 2235's.

If Scott's mind is made up on the use of these New 416's, maybe I can use them for my own pair of ZilchLencia's, but this time with my 511 horns.

Happy B-Day Scotty! Hope all is well!

Scott.

scott fitlin
08-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, Im a die hard Altec fan from as far back as the beginning of my frantic LOVE AFFAIR with audio!

I know there are other good products out there, and properly loaded they do work, BUT, only Altec sounds like Altec, in the same way that ONLY JBL products sound like JBL.

The 416,s have that kick, but also an openess to the mids I cant achieve any other way. Presence they used to call it. I love it.

Not only did I commit to going back to Altec, the woofers are paid for in full. Something special about the way the 416 sounds. Something Altec.

Brand new GPA Altec 416-8C,s were my birthday present to myself!

:D

SMKSoundPro
08-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I just went to GPA's site, and was unable to see or read any info on their new 416 -8.

Can you share a price per unit?

scott fitlin
08-24-2007, 11:46 AM
I just went to GPA's site, and was unable to see or read any info on their new 416 -8.

Can you share a price per unit?$280.00ea, plus shipping. I consider this reasonable in this day and age.

scott fitlin
08-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Whats going to be good reading, is when forum member Allen Mueller gives us a reveiw of his newly recieved GPA Altec 416-8C,s.

Its one thing to hear what I have to say, Im 45, sort of set in my audio ways, and like listening to the sound I always had growing up and throughout my teen and young adult years.

Better to hear what the fresh ears of a young man, who has been introduced to the Altec sound via forums like these, but was taught very differently, has to say.

SMKSoundPro
08-24-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm also 45, and understand your point.

I know what I like in audio world, and will wait to read what younger men have to say.

Just hope it doesn't contain the phrase: "ipod this or ipod that."

Rock on!

scott fitlin
08-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Just hope it doesn't contain the phrase: "ipod this or ipod that."

Rock on!No, no ipods in this equation.

Mr. Mueller is into his audio gear.

CONVERGENCE
08-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Can you share a price per unit?

You can find it on their EBAY web site.

http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Plains-Audio

scott fitlin
08-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Those specs have been edited, they used to have the T/S parameters too.

qTs- .26

vas- 22cu ft.

I know I loved the bottom end of these things! Thats for sure. :applaud:

intotubes
08-24-2007, 08:09 PM
I have been reading this thread while listening to 416's in my 19's and brothers, I agree wholeheartedly with what's been said - especially by Scott.

What is your club called? I would love to come have a listen if I am ever in your part of the country.

I am 48 yrs old and my ears aren't what they used to be but I know good sound when I hear it. My little sound system is the best these ears have heard and I am quite happy.

Great thread!

scott fitlin
08-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I own and operate The Eldorado Auto Skooter in Brooklyns Coney Island.

We are a bumper car ride, and riding in here is like riding around a nightclub. We got into large sound with the advent of Disco in 1976, although we opened up in 1973 with a small system four A7,s, music has always been an integral part of our ride. As our sound system grew, and get better, we have tried many, many things. Back in the days when there were no HUGE amounts of power available Altec was some of the most efficient speakers available and sounded great. When big power and high power handling speakers did become available, we tried some different things, but Altec still sounded the BEST! So, we kept Altec.

Even today, I have endeavored to get into more modern speakers, and amplifiers, all to no avail, they just dont sound proper to me.

We always used the 421-8LF woofer in our Altec basshorns, but, these days with the amount of HF energy present in todays digital recordings the aluminum dustcap gets too ringy. I tried to go JBL, TAD, B & C, the B & C high efficiency woofers work decently in basshorns, but it doesnt sound like Altec, nor do they have the bottom end of a GOOD Altec woofer.

I tried two of GPA,s 416-8C woofers, H_LY SH_T, I was blown away, they are so efficient, they are so clear, they make GREAT bass, and they make recordings sound REAL. Best of all, digital sources, downloads and CD,s sound to me, the way vinyl used to sound, big, warm, realistic, etc. Couldnt believe it, but my CD,s sound terrific now. Very much like a good record, depth and dimension and transient response is excellent. And they do it with relatively little power and sound so sweet, they dont hurt your ears. You hear things in your recordings you never knew were there. I am once again, Altec midbass, and I am loving it! They put out so much sound, so effortlessly, and such sweet, realistic sounding low mids and bass, they are INCREDIBLE! They sounded so good I ordered and paid for TWELVE more.

I also tried two of GPA,s 515-8LF woofers, good midrange, somewhat shallow sound low end, compared to a 416 or 421, so I preferred the 416.

I use vintage JBL 18,s, vintage JBL compression drivers and horns, Altec woofers in Altec VOTT cabinets, and vintage JBL tweeters, and vintage Crown amps, and NOTHING sounds better to me in my room. I have modern comp drivers, newer amps, modern crossovers and EQ, but I like certain older technologies, it just sounds good. I dont really care if my room is the ultimate in SPL, but IT MUST SOUND LIKE MUSIC, if it doesnt nothing else matters. I, so far, have always only been able to achieve what I like with Altec midbass in this room. Oh yeah, I am also using eight NEW ported JBL 2242,s and I have some new Bassmaxx Duece 12in folded folded horns.

Wait till we hear what Allen Mueller has to say about his new GPA 416-8C woofers. And this is a young man, not raised in the Altec era!

ALTEC, and Eldorado, its a winning combination!

If your ever in NYC, by all means come down and HEAR the MONSTER!

:bouncy:

00Robin
08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
okay,now I figured out the GPA reference and had a looksee. I BET that is the man who bought my original 1958's in 1995 when I blew one. OKlahoma,huh?
I would LOVE to hear what you are blowing at your bumper car place and at home. I bet they come JUST for the good music and sound,or definitely come back again for it! I'm 49 and I'm stuck on Altecs Nothing has compared yet for me. Nothing. I've been listening to them since the late 70's. Sorry,I'm, hooked. And that is how it is,exactly the way you said it Scott, "they just dont sound proper" and thats just what I mean to. Nothing else sounds proper.
But I do have a slight curiousity about listening to some good JBL's,just to compare....

allen mueller
08-25-2007, 01:36 PM
First I'd like to thank everyone who replied and gave me advice and shared their experience with me. About a year ago I visited Scott's place and was amazed by the sound. We have similar taste in sound and his opinion means allot to me. I have tried a few things since than and am very happy with the Altec box with GPA driver combo.

I have had the woofers in since Thursday and continue to be amazed at the sound. They are more efficient than the B&C's than i was using. The sound is very dynamic, open, and at the same time the notes have weight to them. The listening experience is very enjoyable. Like Scott says they sound like real music.

Once again thanks to everyone.

Allen

scott fitlin
08-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Yes, Robin, The Eldorado is famous for our sound system, our music programming, and our FASST bumper cars.

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP YOUR ASS OFF, thats our slogan, and what you hear in our digital announcer from the ticket box on the street.

Altec is also the only one thats ever done certain things for us, as well. I love vintage JBL compression drivers, horns, tweeters and 18in woofers. I also like Gauss, and Altec 18,s too.

My system is a dance club/entertainment system, its voiced to be clean, but has certain colorations and exagerations that we love, DISCO they called it.

The room contains sixteen JBL 2402 bullet tweeters in arrays of four each, hanging down the center of the room.I have six stacks of speakers around the room in an inverted W stereo pattern, so you get stereo everywhere. Each stack is made up of a JBL 2404 bi-radial tweeter, a JBL 2395 lens horn w/2441 comp driver, Altec double 15in VOTT cabinets, and a double 18in horn loaded sub. The corner stacks have custom made upsized version of JBL scoops 2240 loaded, the center stacks have small W bins, Eminence loaded, I have additional custom made ported subs, 4 double JBL 18in 2242 loaded on the sidewalls.

I use a Urei 1620 preamp/mixer, a pair of White 4200A EQ,s, a Richard Long X-3000 crossover, of Studio54 and Paradise garage fame, a heavily modified Urei 525 crossover, or a pair of crown MX-4,s I have as well three crown PSA-2,s three crown DC-300A,s, one Crown D-150A, three Crown Power Line 2,s ( enhanced D-75,s ) and two crown Macro tech 3600,s. I have DSP, and went back to all analog processing, just sounds better to me.

I still have two Technics 1200 turntables, two Denon S-3500 CD turntables, one Denon D-6000 dual CD player, and we are getting into using Rane Serrato, and an Apple G4 for spinning downloads. This last item is interesting, I buy primarily WAV files, and the two Denon S-3500 CD turntables are hooked up to a special interface, and you use to specially encoded midi discs to play files like playing a CD or record. You choose your music selection on the laptop, and the encoded disc allows you to cue up the file, and spin it like as if your mixing CD,s and the Serrato package also comes with two vinyl discs, you would hook your TT,s up to the interface, and you can spin files like records! The download technology is still in its infancy, but its usable, and getting better as time goes on. If one wants to spin dance music, you have to get into this technology, as much dance music is no longer available on vinyl, and not as available on CD either. But the WAV files sound fairly good, better than MP3, and I am also using a Summit Audio DCL-200 tube compressor to make the digital source sound better. It works. But, the nice surprise was how good CD and downloads sound through the GPA Altec 416,s, music just sounds good through the, cant wait for all of them to arrive and install them, and complete the room.

This place rocks, but sounds sweet, and with a GOOD recording sounds outstanding, very real, tons of presence and super clarity. Yet, sweet and tame sounding too! The bass is ferocious, it kicks, and growls, and shakes the building. The mixer I am using is my original Urei, and was modified by Richard Long, and sounds amazing, a bit leaner on the bottom than a stock urei, but really centered on the strike of the drum, with an underlying bass that growls, not muddy sounding. The low mids are full sounding, the upper mid has no glare ( recording dependent ) and the highs are sweet, soft, detailed, but not overly top heavy. My bottom end sounds clear and detailed, lots of resolution, and its very visceral, YOU FEEL IT! She KICKS!

I have been through everything, JBL, TAD, B & C, and some others, I HAD to return to Altec to make what I want happen! Its a system that surprises many, I play classical and jazz when I want to really hear the systems qualities. John Eargles, Eargle on Everest is a favorite demo CD for me, track #6, the violins sounds so real, and never screechy. Piano sounds like piano, vocals sound real, and holographic. Because Im almost totally horn loaded, transient detail is startling, macro transients are outstanding but my micro dynamic resolution is also fantastic as well. You can hear the breath of a singers voice. Drums sound really grand, you can hear the stick hit the skin, the crack of the snare, and the reverb around the note, and the decay of the sound.

I also have some of our original Altec horns, drivers, and tweeters too.

Now, with the return of the Altec woofers to my system, magnificent is a mild description, IMO, but Im prejudiced in this rooms favor, LOL!

I am an Altec fan for life! And have been listening to Altec since 1973.

00Robin
08-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes,AGAIN,the intake of a quick breath in a mike,the slide of the fret the resonsance of some catgut on the cellos that make you turn to see whose in the room playing with you. Hows about that palmy swipe down the upper manual on the B3? A good poke on the Leslie just in time to accentuate that swell for the build? Either its those Altecs of Robin's or her B3 and Leslie at it full tilt boogie.
Music feeds my soul. And it sounds like there are many souls to feed here. The feast is on and let the games begin!
Good music produced through the best equipment is an addictive experience more people need to CHANGE THEIR LIVES. I'll never grow up and I don't care. The music will feed my soul throughout eternity. By way of Altecs.

scott fitlin
08-25-2007, 02:34 PM
Music is my life, gotta keep on dancing!

And music through Altec keeps ya feet movin!

scott fitlin
08-25-2007, 02:40 PM
:banana::banana::banana::banana::dj-party::banana::banana::banana::banana:

johnaec
08-25-2007, 03:09 PM
My system is a dance club/entertainment system, its voiced to be clean, but has certain colorations and exagerations that we love, DISCO they called it.:useless:

:D

John

scott fitlin
08-25-2007, 07:17 PM
First I'd like to thank everyone who replied and gave me advice and shared their experience with me. About a year ago I visited Scott's place and was amazed by the sound. We have similar taste in sound and his opinion means allot to me. I have tried a few things since than and am very happy with the Altec box with GPA driver combo.

I have had the woofers in since Thursday and continue to be amazed at the sound. They are more efficient than the B&C's than i was using. The sound is very dynamic, open, and at the same time the notes have weight to them. The listening experience is very enjoyable. Like Scott says they sound like real music.

Once again thanks to everyone.

AllenYour entirely welcome, Allen. I take great pride in my place, and I also take great pride in turning others on to what I feel is THE sound. Listening to music is wonderful through the right system, knowledge and information should be shared, it keeps it alive.

I want you to come down once I have all the 416,s installed. Should be nothing short of outstanding.

allen mueller
09-03-2007, 04:25 AM
I've had the woofers for over a week, and am still very happy. I though i'd post a couple of pictures.

mwaldron
09-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Very nice looking refurbishment!

Can you share information about the horn / driver combination you are using?

Thanks,

Mark