PDA

View Full Version : Mod my L-112 and L-46 enclosures?

WifesPissed
08-15-2007, 07:36 AM
I love my home theater JBLs already (even though it isn't done yet). I am big fan of black though, so being fairly handy I was thinking that my L-112 and L-46 enclosures might look more contemporary if I did the following:

1. Ease the square edges to a 1/2" radius round along the depth (not the back or front edge)

2. Ease the grill corners to the same 1/2" radius to flush up to the case
3. Finish the enclosures in "glossy piano black lacquer"
4. Re-fabric the grilles in a semi-transparent black fabric

Sacrilege or Genius? Let's hear you.

majick47
08-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Sounds like your looking for advice ferom LH members. I'v seen pictures of some JBL's that were stained or painted and in the "right" setting they fit perfectly. Just my opinion, the rise in demand/prices for vintage JBL speakers, L112 and L46 included, isn't based on the sonic quality alone. I have a audio/speaker annual magazine dateing back to around 1980 and almost every JBL speaker listed the reviewer/author would make a big point of the quality/design/strikeing appearance of the cabinets and grills. Back then they stood out from the pack and no doubt today a pair of L100 with reproduction JBL blue foam grills would make a very strong design statement along with a vintage Mac with big blue meters. Wish I kept the photo from Ebay that had a pair of Ames style chairs, I also have the same exact chairs. The home was vintage 1970s, looked untouched, very highend seaside home in CA. Guess what was in the background? A pair of L200 or L200b. I'm sure many an interior designer has picked out an excellent vintage pair of JBLs for their clients retro interior design. I'd keep them original to preserve their value, once stained/painted etc no matter how well they will be depreciated.

WifesPissed
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
guessing it would substantially weaken the joints and make a mess going through the
veneer and into the particle board, that then might make for a lot of work to cover nicely
with paint. Then again, fewer stock cabs, value of mine goes up (my kids may care
one day :)) -grumpy

Pretty sure they are solid, not veneer.

macaroonie
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
If you were to embark on such a project I would suggest that you rebate a piece of close grain hardwood into the edge that you want to radius and then apply your radius.
The minute you touch that particle board you will go 'OH f*** ' a world of filling and smoothing.

briang
08-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe...find a local cabinet maker to match the volume and port size in a shape you seek? Then swap everything over. Keeping the stock cabs for posterity...