PDA

View Full Version : JBL VP Series

boputnam
08-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Congratulations to JBL for the nomination of their VP Series (http://www.jblpro.com/installedsound/vpseries/index.html) as a candidate for TEC's Technical Excellence & Creativity Awards (Outstanding Technical Achievevment / G. Sound Reinforcement Loudspeaker Technology)!!

I haven't heard these, but know of good reviews of them.

Competiting nominees in this category include EV Phoenix, Meyer M'elodie, NEXO GEO-D, QSC ILA and Turbosound Aspect TA-500.

If you are a MIX subscriber, and know these VP's, give them a vote (http://www.votetec.org/)! :applaud:

Andyoz
08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I was looking at the VP7212 just the other day (not in the flesh though). Look very, very good.

Out of interest, are the brands L-Acoustics and d&b audiotechnik getting much exposure in the US?

Europe is full of their gear now. Most music venue refurbishments here seem to have those two brands down as their dream system (very "band rider "friendly).

richluvsound
08-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Hey Andy,

I have heard all three recently. http://www.opusaudio.com/index.html . I'm seriously considering buying this rig myself. Brilliant product, great people.

each stack , 4 x beyma 18's (based on the 2245 ) 4x beyma 10's , 2 x radion horns- Tads optional.

these babies do it all with finesse. 5k of sweet , sexy and clean. I love JBL ,but respect where respect is due. :applaud:

All 8 stage monitors were JBL VP , the muso's were full of compliments about the monitoring. Also , the OPUS crew obviously rate them .To have included the VP in the backline set up by company in direct compitition with JBL pro is high praise indeed.

richluvsound
08-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Andy,

we have all that to look foward to. We had a photographer running around.

We did set up the rig shooting down the length. There was'nt enough room the other way; One act had twelve members. In the future we will use a smaller rig and more filler sound .

Anyway, mate this is bo's thread . I dont want to highjack anymore. I will start designated thread when I get more visuals.

Rich

johnaec
08-14-2007, 10:03 AM
There was a pair of the deluxe networked versions of the VP 15" 2-ways on eBay a few months ago that went for an excrutiatingly low price - apparently, few knew what they were at the time, and I wasn't in a position to go for them... :(

John

mikebake
08-15-2007, 08:16 AM
There was a pair of the deluxe networked versions of the VP 15" 2-ways on eBay a few months ago that went for an excrutiatingly low price - apparently, few knew what they were at the time, and I wasn't in a position to go for them... :(

John
Dude, lemme know next time! if you don't go after them, of course.

boputnam
08-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Gents...

We inadvertently hijacked this thread, intended to acknowledge JBL's VP Series. :applaud:

So, I moved the OT posts here where a similar, concurrent L-Acoustics discussion was going on. See ya there... :scoot:

boputnam
04-14-2008, 03:22 PM
I was looking at the VP7212MDP just the other day (not in the flesh though). Look very, very good.Well, I finally got my hands on one of these wedges and ran some tests.

I elected to run the tests at the artists' position, ~8-ft from the wedge with the mic positioned at the place of a standing singer's head.

First image: RTA using Pink Noise, no EQ. This is right out of the box - true "plug-and-play".
- Blue trace is Pink Noise input (reference)
- Green trace is measured

Second image: FFT (Magnitude) using Pink Noise, no EQ. Again, "plug-and-play".

Third image: FFT (Magnitude) using Pink Noise with modest EQ.

These are REALLY great sounding wedges. I tried all manner of program material, and these sound phenomenal - even with no EQ.

I ran these up to high SPL to check for SPL-related cabinet resonance - I heard none and measured none.

JBL has done a very fine job on these.

johnaec
04-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Those seem pretty nice, especially the power/weight ratio, (45.5 lbs, including power amps!). I guess you do get what you pay for...($3299 list! :( ). How do they compare to your SRX712M's?

'Love to have a few!

John

boputnam
04-14-2008, 06:25 PM
How do they compare to your SRX712M's?At least as good - really better, since the SRX is passive and the VP series have pretty sophisticated DSP in the signal path. That said, I run the SRX passive and they do not require much EQ.

JBL don't provide raw transducer response for this configuration - it would be interesting to know what JBL did, and where, but as-is these are pretty uncomparable.

They are pricy, but the SRX are +$1,100 a copy, and each need a 2-channel power amp to run bi-amped. The price of the VP7212MDP seems quite reasonable - afterall, I've saved at-least 8 RU space with this approach! What price do you put on saved RU...!! :rotfl:

mikebake
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
The price of the VP7212MDP seems quite reasonable - afterall, I've saved at-least 8 RU space with this approach! What price do you put on saved RU...!! :rotfl:

Quite a bit, actually!!!

johnaec
04-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Are you also using those special cables that run signal and power together?

John

boputnam
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
($3299 list! :( ). I had a quote from Full Compass significantly better than that. Check around...

Are you also using those special cables that run signal and power together?No. AC is through the Neutrik "Powercon" AC plug; signal comes in via XLR. Both can be daisy chained to adjacent wedge...