PDA

View Full Version : 2214H's in L-150's?

Regis
02-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and having inherited a pair of L-150's, I have a question. The former owner (obviously not very smart) replaced one of the 128H woofers with a no-name junk speaker. I've owned three pair of different JBL speakers in the past 25 years and I sure don't want this swap-meet junk in my cabs. I'm also replacing the heavily damaged 033's with the recommended 034's (per the JBL L-150 Tech sheet).

The problem is the 128H's are nearly impossible to find. Can I use the 2214H's in place of these? Most of the T/S parameters seem to be pretty close, with the exception of the LE and Xmax. A knowledgeable JBL tech says it should work, but may need some x-over mods if it doesn't sound satisfactory, but he's confident it will. Your thoughts?

boputnam
02-19-2004, 02:50 PM
:scold: that moron that swapped-out a 128H... Keep looking, and be patient.

To your question, why not model the performance of the 2214H on that cabinet, and contrast it to that of the 128H, same-same. 'course the critical area will be the crossover to the LE5-10. Surely someone here knows how that hand-off between the 2214H and LE5-10 is likely to be. Giskard!!?? I know: "Won't work", but... :hmm:

Some great freeware, if you've not got BBPro, is WinISD - Link (http://www.linearteam.dk/) which I've used for years. Plenty capable and great imbedded Thiele-Small database for most of the industry.

Now, since we've got you sorted, don't leave us hanging - post images of the response curves your modelling produces! :yes:

Regis
02-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately, I can't download any of that software on my pc at work. The home PC is out of the question, as I'm separated from both wife and PC (she still has the pair of big JBL Cabaret series (4328's?)I talked her into buying two years ago. God do I miss them!) I hear you about the crossover handling, but if someone out there can be so kind as to run this on some kind of software and see what possible X-over mods I may have to make to pull it off.

Naturally, I'd be happy to compare the two once I install one of the pair I plan on buying into the cab and give an objective listening to. Any help is appreciated on this! Modeling curves anyone?

boputnam
02-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Regis
...she still has the pair of big JBL Cabaret series (4328's?) Maybe the road-worthyy 46xx-series? Er, the Cabaret, not the wifey... :slink: Hell :mad: We need a night crew here on the Forum to retrieve JBL gear lost in property seperation "arrangements". Seems like a worthy Forum Cause... :yes:

What were you using the Cabaret's for?

Regis
02-19-2004, 04:39 PM
You're absolutely right. They're the 4628's. I had a sudden jog of memory after I researched the Caberet series on this site and went to the JBL Pro Obsolete PDF's. I found them for $600 in excellent condition! Recently reconed and pretty good shape.

They're actually "home" speakers. Can't have too much, right? A NAD pre-amp puts a signal to a newer Carver 400w amp. There is a very small hiss/buzz during silent sections of the music and I'm not sure where that comes from (the amp isn't the best, but it's big enough to drive these relatively cleanly.

Someone in another Cabaret post said that the E145's lacked the real low bottom end, but were excellent in what they did. I have to agree. The super lows aren't there, but what is, is really good.

The 8 inch mids are very powerful and the baby-b*tt tweets are pretty good. They were designed to be "Keyboard reinforcement speakers", but they seemed to work pretty good at my house for just about anything I cranked through em. Am I crazy for having these things in my home? Black cabinets, metal handles and reinforced corners and of course the jumbo plastic JBL logos on the grill!

Guido
02-19-2004, 04:53 PM
I might be wrong but I think there was a 150xy that had the 2214 inside.
The network of this should work.

I'll do a search

Guido
02-19-2004, 04:59 PM
:( I was wrong. It was the L100T.

Maybe I find time to model it in BBPro this weekend.

boputnam
02-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Regis
Am I crazy for having these things in my home? Black cabinets, metal handles and reinforced corners and of course the jumbo plastic JBL logos on the grill! Cosmetics are one thing, but I've found my attempts at immigrating my pro road gear into the home not worthwhile. Everything has such high power tolerances and long-throws, I find the sound not as smooth or coherant in small listening areas. Hell, it also is a great excuse to have more gear... :rotfl:

If you've got the energy, you might try and tastetest some of the higher 43xx series, or 44xx series. You will be stunned and changed, for life. ;)