PDA

View Full Version : 2235H is back and...

Rolf
08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I noticed that the color of the cone in much darker than the older one. Is it normal that the cone gets much more grey over the years?

Is it just the "paper" changing color, or is something "coming off" over time.

Does this have a influence to the performance of the woofer?

edgewound
08-10-2007, 01:30 PM
As long as it's a factory cone kit....no worries.

Could be differences in production run colors...and yes...they do fade over time.

Rolf
08-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Of course it is original JBL kits. Do you think I would use some scum parts?;) Reducing the value, not to forget the performance? No.:D

edgewound
08-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Of course it is original JBL kits. Do you think I would use some scum parts?;) Reducing the value, not to forget the performance? No.:D

:applaud:;):)

Guido
08-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Here is a pic of my 4435.

Right is a brandnew cone, left is a bit older.

Oh, and both are original.

John
08-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I know the older cones had a dark black color but then they started making them with a slight hint of purple in the cone if viewed in daylight???:blink:

boputnam
08-10-2007, 02:33 PM
Could be differences in production run colors...The 2245's are just the opposite, with the original (L) and newer (R)... :dont-know

Rolf
08-10-2007, 11:25 PM
OK. After what I can make of this, some are greyer and some are darker, and there is no real answer to what is what for sure.

Anyway, my system plays again, and I guess what happened (that the yellow spider come loose) will not happen again.

I wonder what is the price for a re-cone job at a professional JBL store in the US? Here in Norway the price is US$ 472,00 (today's exchange NKR>US$) witch include all work and taxes. Freight to and from the importer must be added.

Just wondering.

John
08-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Lowest price I heard of 6 months ago was around $175 installed by USA dealer :blah:

Chas
08-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Rolf, it's about C$300.00 here in Canada by an authorised dealer. U.S. / Canadian dollars are getting close to each other. :)

Thom
08-11-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm not trying to pick scabs or suggest that people buy other than factory parts so before the hate mail please read that part again. Also, I'm aware of the factory tie in to this forum. I always hear that aftermarket parts are trash and I'm sure that some are and I'm not sure that any aren't. But with the factory putting out replacement parts on their own schedule I would think a second source would be desirable. Also it wouldn't be that far fetched to think the factory might like the "nuisance" business to go elsewhere, unless of course they have said so. Does JBL make their cones? It seems silly to say that nobody else could make as good a cone so is the theory that only they have the specs? Then how about the drivers where the old specs are liked better than the new ones? Or is the theory that other company's aren't putting their name on it so they don't have the same interest in making sure every is right? Please I'm not advocating anything. Don't waste your hate mail on me I think it's fine to buy only JBL I just have these questions. Also how about the hemp cones? If I get a bunch of hate mail over this it will just mean that someone needs to get a life. Thank you.

Just collecting information Thom

If you put a 2245 surround on a 2240 could you expect it to act like a 2245 as long as you stayed inside 2240 xmax?

I got and am trying to return on Ebay a 2245 frame with a cone with double m surround. This isn't like my 2240's. What cone is it. Speaker was packed wrong so is academic but am curious.

toddalin
08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I wonder what is the price for a re-cone job at a professional JBL store in the US? Here in Norway the price is US$ 472,00 (today's exchange NKR>US$) witch include all work and taxes. Freight to and from the importer must be added.

Just wondering.

This is the price list for Orange County Speaker in Santa Ana, CA. They are factory authorized to do JBLs and I've had several done there. They also do the other major brands.

My last were three 2205s reconed as 2235s in Dec 2005 for $178 each + 7.75% sales tax (now $180 each + tax).

They also sell refoam kits, even through evil-bay.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

speakerdave
08-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Thank you. Just collecting information Thom

You didn't hear the one about moose turd pie?

It's just a suggestion, but maybe you could set up a lab and start working on this project. You could begin with the drivers for which JBL no longer makes cones:

112/2108
124/2203
D208/2110
LE8T-2/2115
LE14A
LE20

If you could identify recone kits for these speakers that meet original specs you would endear yourself to a lot of people.

David

edgewound
08-11-2007, 11:50 AM

Just wondering.

Rolf,

The current price is $180.00usd.

I just check my price list.

edgewound
08-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Just collecting information Thom

If you put a 2245 surround on a 2240 could you expect it to act like a 2245 as long as you stayed inside 2240 xmax?

I got and am trying to return on Ebay a 2245 frame with a cone with double m surround. This isn't like my 2240's. What cone is it. Speaker was packed wrong so is academic but am curious.

Information in the wrong ear will surely be disseminated incorrectly somewhere down the line.

But...It sounds like your 2245 with the m-roll surround was reconed with a 2240 kit....or a facsimile of some sorts thereof. Hmmm....I sound like a lawyer...sorry.

But to answer your question....no.

Of course....somebody will probably "yes" though.

2245 and 2240 are different cone assemblies, but the frames are identical.

Thom
08-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Is M roll true 2240? I thought it was an accordion. If so I've been fooled again before, or something like that. On the fakes I imagine they only counterfeit the more popular numbers, that JBL does see fit to produce, but it was a thought.

edgewound
08-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Is M roll true 2240? I thought it was an accordion. If so I've been fooled again before, or something like that. On the fakes I imagine they only counterfeit the more popular numbers, that JBL does see fit to produce, but it was a thought.

2241 has progessive pleat/accordian surround. 2240 has m-roll and aquaplas about 1/3 the way up the rear of the cone. 2245 has aquaplas all the up the rear of the cone.

I do believe the 2245 coil is slightly longer...but I'd have to check to make sure.

John
08-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Rolf, it's about C$300.00 here in Canada by an authorised dealer. U.S. / Canadian dollars are getting close to each other. :)

That sounds about right for canadain service centers. They should be lowering there price since the kits are costing them quite a bit less for the last 6 months due to the Canadain and U.S. dollar getting to near par. But of course they are just pocketing the extra cash just like every one else.:(

edgewound
08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
That sounds about right for canadain service centers. They should be lowering there price since the kits are costing them quite a bit less for the last 6 months due to the Canadain and U.S. dollar getting to near par. But of course they are just pocketing the extra cash just like every one else.:(

Maybe there's some sort of import duty? Or is NAFTA supposed to negate that?

I'm sure Ken P knows firsthand about that.

John
08-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Maybe there's some sort of import duty? Or is NAFTA supposed to negate that?

I'm sure Ken P knows firsthand about that.

I will try to make it simple. Lets say a item was $100 us. last year and it cost $150 canadian to equal the $100 us. Right now it takes about $106 Canadian to equal $100 us. Now lets say last year a 2235 recone was going for $300 Canadian and still as we speak the same reconer is charging $300.:banghead:

If he is not soaking up the gravy then it is the JBL dist. in Montreal.:blah:

Ken P. will be our Mexican expert from now on. ;)

I will take care of Canada:p

edgewound
08-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I will take care of Canada:p

I'm sure you will.

It seems Canada is taking good care of you...through those import tariffs that help pay for your health care.

Rolf
08-11-2007, 11:37 PM
It seems silly to say that nobody else could make as good a cone ....

This is an interesting question. I know about "pirate" parts for cars that is much better than the original parts.

I am not in position (don't have the technical know-how) to tell how difficult it is to make f.ex a 2235H kit. How is the cone built? If it is a factory secret I guess it might be difficult for others to make it. The copper wire on the voice coil can't be a problem for others to reproduce.

Another question is if the marked is big enough to start a production of kits that have the same specs, and making them at a lower price.

Rolf
08-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Lowest price I heard of 6 months ago was around $175 installed by USA dealer :blah:

And the price include all work? Anybody knows what the price for the kit is from JBL?

I know the price for the kit only is about US$ 235 here in Norway. (From the JBLPro importer).

johnaec
08-12-2007, 05:58 AM
US price list, (before labor, I presume): http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Transducers%20Parts%20List/Transducer%20Parts%20List.pdf

John

Chas
08-12-2007, 09:19 AM
[quote=John;181072If he is not soaking up the gravy then it is the JBL dist. in Montreal.:blah:
[/quote]

I don't now why JBL maintain that Montreal distributor. I have never been pleased with their service levels. It can literally take months to get cone kits, drivers, etc.:(

Rolf
08-13-2007, 12:01 AM
All things included the the 2235H's kit at $162,00 witch ended up to $472,00 then seems normal, regarding spear parts calculations in my country.