PDA

View Full Version : 375 question

anzafrank
08-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I have a system that i'm trying to sell, and a so called buyer came to look, and we both noticed the screws on the 375's didn't have the factory seals (red glue?) I bought the drivers, short horns, slant plates, and 075's new in 1978 from an electronics store in so. cal.

My question is how could the seals be missing when i'm the only owner? Also, back in 1980 i put a HL-89 horn in one cab. just for kicks, and the driver stuck out the back of the cab a few inches. To seal it, i used wood filler. Now you can see where the filler was. Is that a big no no? Do the drivers have to be spotless and pristine?

I think this guy was looking to steal the speakers, (he offered 1500) but what bothers me is the lack of factory seals. The drivers have never been worked on, and i bought them new! Help!

Frank

Storm
08-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Why do you have all that weight load bearing down on the speakers like that?

I am no JBL expert, so the seal question -- I have no clue.

Are those lenses supposed to be like that? Why are they touching / overlapping, the edge of the woofers?

;)

-Storm.

anzafrank
08-06-2007, 12:19 AM
are one piece. The bottoms were for storage, and i turned them into speaker enclosures to save space. They workrd out to be about 3.3 cu. ft.

As far as the lenses being turned up side down, they seem to throw the sound up as the speakers are close to the floor. It not only worked, it worked great.

As far as the lenses overlapping the woofers, i had no choice as there is only so much real estate on the baffel board. The lenses are on stand off's as to not touch the woofers. The whole thing was a nutty idea, but it worked even though it looks a bit goofy.

Frank

Storm
08-06-2007, 12:31 AM
May I ask then, what forces the sale?

If you enjoy them -- why sell?

;)

-Storm.

are one piece. The bottoms were for storage, and i turned them into speaker enclosures to save space. They workrd out to be about 3.3 cu. ft.

As far as the lenses being turned up side down, they seem to throw the sound up as the speakers are close to the floor. It not only worked, it worked great.

As far as the lenses overlapping the woofers, i had no choice as there is only so much real estate on the baffel board. The lenses are on stand off's as to not touch the woofers. The whole thing was a nutty idea, but it worked even though it looks a bit goofy.

Frank

Zilch
08-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Do the drivers have to be spotless and pristine?For top dollar, yes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-375-pair-Horns-lenses-From-factory-JBL-cabinets_W0QQitemZ160140970889QQihZ006QQcategoryZ5 0597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When they come out of factory cabinets, that's how they are.... :yes:

Thom
08-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Are those 123a's?

Maron Horonzakz
08-06-2007, 05:39 AM
To answere your comment about the red seals...Some did come out without the seals...I know I have one,,I noticed that when i unpacked it out of the carton...Maybe they ran out of wax that day...But the collectors insist on paying the big bucks to get a little wax..Some times twice the price....Unbelieveable.:D

anzafrank
08-06-2007, 09:19 AM
in a car accident, (was rear ended) and am forced to try to sell my place and move into a small mobile home. It took the va 7 mo's to get me in front of a back dr., and i couldn't get a lawyer to touch it because i didn't get treated in time.

toddalin
08-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Take the $1,500. The value of your cabinets is in the components, which are certainly unmatched (123 was not used with a 375). Go to e-pay and you may not get that much, and have to pay commission.

I saw your add and wouldn't have offered $1K. :o:

jblwolf
08-06-2007, 10:16 AM
if your willing to ship just the drivers,please email me(PM) I need a pair of 375's/075's and x overs

anzafrank
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Yes they are 123-3's. They came out of some old L-100's. A little on the boomy side to me, but it might be the room and furniture etc.

Zilch
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
And I'll buy the 123A-3s, if we can settle on a rational price....

anzafrank
08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Sorry, i can sell them here without shipping. I wasn't trying to start a bidding war. I did that on craigs list and recycler. No shortage of buyers, i just didn't know how much to ask. Thanks for asking though.

anzafrank
08-06-2007, 01:36 PM
Thanks, but i will probably sell all.

anzafrank
08-06-2007, 01:45 PM
For top dollar, yes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-375-pair-Horns-lenses-From-factory-JBL-cabinets_W0QQitemZ160140970889QQihZ006QQcategoryZ5 0597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

When they come out of factory cabinets, that's how they are.... :yes:

Thanks. Very interesting. 3000!

anzafrank
08-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Great news for me. My wife looked closer, and found that both 375's have most of the factory seals in place. The buyer said that all the seals were missing. Hard to see with a flash light, a mirror, a bad back, and without my glasses on. Duh!

Can't get mad at the potential buyer, i guess it's only business in these wonderful times were in.

Thanks for all your help guys. Lots of knowledge on this forum. Wish it could have been available in the 70's when i was putting together systems with le-15a's w. pr's, 124's, duel 124's, 136h's w. pr's. The good old days with no bad back. Ha!

Mr. Widget
08-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks. Very interesting. 3000!Yes, and while that auction price is on the high side it isn't that uncommon to see absolutely pristine examples like these fetch this amount. However without wax seals, a chip or two on the finish and perhaps some paint or "wood putty" stuck to them and the price can easily drop to the sub $1000 range.

Widget

anzafrank
08-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Those 375's look brand new. Very nice! What do you think a set of 1978's w. hl-93's with most of the factory seals in place, used very little, (they sat 10 yrs. unused at one time) (i know, big deal) never driven hard, or used out side of my home, never banged around, but don't look new at all are worth?

Also, i'm not understanding why some of the seals are red, and some seem to be a bit pink to almost simi clear wax. Never been repaired. Thanks,

Frank

Maron Horonzakz
08-07-2007, 10:23 AM
They probably ran out of red candles to melt down.;)

anzafrank
08-07-2007, 10:29 AM
They probably ran out of red candles to melt down.;)

Ha! Whats to keep folks from doing just that with red candles?

hjames
08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Ha! Whats to keep folks from doing just that with red candles?

Have you seen Zilch's avatar image?
Thats an authentic JBL waxplug, with embedded logo

anzafrank
08-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Have you seen Zilch's avatar image?
Thats an authentic JBL waxplug, with embedded logo

No i didn't, but that makes more sense than just red wax.Frank

Mr. Widget
08-08-2007, 08:31 AM
Those 375's look brand new. That was my point.

It is much more difficult to find new looking 375s than it is to find nice looking examples... JBL literally made tons of these over the years and fully functioning 2440s (the exact same driver with a professional model number and gray paint) in ugly condition can be found for $300 each... occasionally less. The home version, the 375, is more desirable to collectors and neophytes, but the point is as the visual condition improves the price goes up... how much yours will fetch depends on the whims of eBay.

Widget

anzafrank
08-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Could have held out for a lot more.

Take the $1,500. The value of your cabinets is in the components, which are certainly unmatched (123 was not used with a 375). Go to e-pay and you may not get that much, and have to pay commission.

I saw your add and wouldn't have offered $1K. :o: