PDA

View Full Version : 4333A upgrades/Home made grills.

bert58
08-05-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi there:

I've just purchased a pair of 4333A. They have 2205A woofers. I also have a pair of 2235h woofers that I'll be re-foaming. (Just got the kit from Rick Cobb). I'll then A/B them to see what I like best. I've read from the many posts here that going to 2231A/H or even better the 2235A/H will significantly improve Bass performance. My question are: Will the cabinets have to be re-tuned? I don't know what they are tuned at presently. What is the correct tuning frequency for the 2235H in those enclosures? Can significant improvements be made by replacing/upgrading the stock cross-overs and internal wiring? Does anyone here have plans to build clone speaker grills?
Can I use 8 ohm 077 tweeters instead of the original 16 ohm 2405H? Does the cross-over have to be modified in order to do this? Thanks.

spirou38
08-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi there:

I've just purchased a pair of 4333A. They have 2205A woofers. I also have a pair of 2235h woofers that I'll be re-foaming. (Just got the kit from Rick Cobb). I'll then A/B them to see what I like best. I've read from the many posts here that going to 2231A/H or even better the 2235A/H will significantly improve Bass performance. My question are: Will the cabinets have to be re-tuned? I don't know what they are tuned at presently. What is the correct tuning frequency for the 2235H in those enclosures? Can significant improvements be made by replacing/upgrading the stock cross-overs and internal wiring? Does anyone here have plans to build clone speaker grills?
Can I use 8 ohm 077 tweeters instead of the original 16 ohm 2405H? Does the cross-over have to be modified in order to do this? Thanks.

Hi Bert,

Originally, 4333A have 2231A, I have never seen a 2205 or a 2235 instead of that speaker. So the cabinet is tuned just for 2231A or H.

I don't think that using 077 instead of 2405 will improve the sound. But using new diaphragms will perhaps be a good solution.

For the filter, I changed some capacitors, those that are easy to change because they are just under the metalic grill of the filter.

For the 2420 I changed the diaphragms for D8R2425's, but be careful and don't use D16R2425's because the medium level will be too low. That resulted in the greatest improvement.

I also changed the poor plugs on the back of the cabinets for silver plugs.

For the front grills, if you are interested, I can take some pics and some measurements, but they will be in millimeters instead of inches :( . Let me know. And for the grill cloth, I used Zich cloth :D

Best regards from France.

Pascal

Best regards from France

Mr. Widget
08-05-2007, 10:20 AM
My question are: Will the cabinets have to be re-tuned? I don't know what they are tuned at presently. What is the correct tuning frequency for the 2235H in those enclosures?The cabinets will need to be retuned if they have been modified or if you prefer a more neutral tuning. JBL tuned them to~34Hz... this gives them a slight bas bump that some love and others struggle with.

Can significant improvements be made by replacing/upgrading the stock cross-overs and internal wiring?Do some searches for N333, 3133, by-passed networks, and charge coupling... there are countless threads and posts discussing this sort of thing. There are also probably about as many opinions on the subject as there are posters.

Does anyone here have plans to build clone speaker grills?Forum member Rick Reisen might... or he may be able to build you a pair. As Pascal mentions, Zilch has cornered the market on the dark blue original grille material. (Used on the walnut version.)

Can I use 8 ohm 077 tweeters instead of the original 16 ohm 2405H?

Yes! All 077s and 2405s are approximately 10 ohms regardless of what is printed on the foilcal.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62922&postcount=51

Widget

brianlun
08-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Hello Bert . are you planning to build a 4333a speaker grill? please count me in. I need a pair too:D

John
08-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Since the 2231A is what those came with from the factory I would think the 2235H would also be a drop in as it replaced the 2231A :hmm:

caladois
08-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Hi Bert,

Originally, 4333A have 2231A, I have never seen a 2205 or a 2235 instead of that speaker. So the cabinet is tuned just for 2231A or H.

I don't think that using 077 instead of 2405 will improve the sound. But using new diaphragms will perhaps be a good solution.

For the filter, I changed some capacitors, those that are easy to change because they are just under the metalic grill of the filter.

For the 2420 I changed the diaphragms for D8R2425's, but be careful and don't use D16R2425's because the medium level will be too low. That resulted in the greatest improvement.

I also changed the poor plugs on the back of the cabinets for silver plugs.

For the front grills, if you are interested, I can take some pics and some measurements, but they will be in millimeters instead of inches :( . Let me know. And for the grill cloth, I used Zich cloth :D

Best regards from France.

Pascal

Best regards from France

Hello,
I will probably need your experience to refresh my 4435. I am planning to recone my 2234 first...

spirou38
08-06-2007, 02:56 AM
Hello,
I will probably need your experience to refresh my 4435. I am planning to recone my 2234 first...

Ok Stéphane,

I private mail you my phone number.

Pascal