PDA

View Full Version : altec 9440A

kc8tpr
08-04-2007, 05:50 AM
I just picked this amp. the PO said it didnt have any output. he said that it wouldnt come out of protection.

so before i start playing with it. anybody familair witht this unit?

steve

kc8tpr
08-04-2007, 02:52 PM
just verified that i have no output. and also i dont here it going out of protection. no relay click or anything.

anybody know of anything to troubleshoot?

steve

hjames
08-04-2007, 04:05 PM
just verified that i have no output. and also i dont here it going out of protection. no relay click or anything.

anybody know of anything to troubleshoot?

steve

Don't know the amp and I am not a bench tech.
that said, I have JBL amps (made by UREI) that have protection relays.
Throw the switch, you hear the relay immediately (a thunk, it mutes the outputs), then maybe 20 seconds or so later,
you hear it release (a softer kind of tickka sound) and you have output again.

I would think you would at least hear the first "thunk" (not through the speakers, just the relay work).

Anything more complicated than that, you need a schematic and more serious troubleshooting techniques.

kc8tpr
08-04-2007, 04:23 PM
all ihear when i flip it on is the bump of power supply powering up. no relay noise at all.

steve

Earl K
08-05-2007, 09:53 AM
I just picked this amp. the PO said it didnt have any output. he said that it wouldnt come out of protection.

so before i start playing with it. anybody familair witht this unit?

- You may have more luck trying to gather useful info about this amp if you ask your questions within this thread. (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3729&t=2808) The thread is located at Todds' Altec site. There, ( as here ), older threads will pop up to the top with the addition of a new post.
- The amps' designer ( Paul Rumbaugh ), as well as "bfish" may be able to answer some questions for you ( I'm assuming you can read a circuit schematic ).

<> Earl K

kc8tpr
08-05-2007, 12:32 PM
wow thanks. i didnt even know of that board.
im now registered therealso.

steve