PDA

View Full Version : S99 Lancer pics

triold
07-30-2007, 07:11 AM
Here are pictures of the (Modified) Lancers I picked up.

I have searched posts for info on these (new binding posts, etc.) but don't see much. Still wondering if the JBL professional group will sell parts to 'normal' people?

Cheers
Jim

boputnam
07-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Here are pictures of the (Modified) Lancers I picked up. Wow, those look sweet.

What MF driver is that, and what is the network? :hmm:

triold
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Well sir, I just don't know what they put in there for the mids. Will have to pull them out and see. The cross overs are the original LX4 -- from the outside, anyway. I will dig into 'em and get some answers as to how they are hooked up and see how they messed around with the circuit....one of these days.... But they sound surprizingly good - easy to listen to with nice punchy bass. Even the wife likes them. :)

Zilch
07-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Ideas, similar:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17353

triold
07-30-2007, 11:51 AM
Yes, I am beginning to see the trend here.

I take it that perhaps the Lancer 99s did not sound quite so nice with just the LE20....

Thank you for that post.

Zilch
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
S99 is one of several products that gave LE14A a bad rep as having "muddy midrange." Fact is, LE20 can't play low enough to mate with it; the midrange needs help. LE14A is a competent and highly versatile woofer, but it can't play 2 kHz worth a whit.

Another approach to S99 is a two-way using a compression driver, which crosses lower. That's a bit more radical, but I've done it successfully:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7671

I'm about to do more with those. They're gonna become towers, expanding the volume to improve the bass response, which will be applicable to yours, as well. :thmbsup:

Note: If your midrange is open back, it needs a subenclosure behind it, like Jack did in his.

Also, your LE14As still have the original Lansaloy surrounds. Chances are those are pretty stiff from age, and you need to have new surrounds installed to restore the bass response. Talk to Jack, who knows this drill; he's in AZ, too, and did his himself.... :yes:

triold
07-30-2007, 12:56 PM
This is the same sort of feeling I had when I started working on tube gear..... :D

Will watch for the open back on the mid. The surrounds ....I have already tapped into the info here on replacing those. Will check in with Jack. Likewise, repairing the Xovers.

Looks like I am in for the ride now. First step is to get what I have running right. But then, horns are fun. But I don't have a woodworking shop... hmmm.

Thanks a lot Zilch. (seriously) Here goes my weekends. Again. :)

Zilch
07-30-2007, 01:17 PM
But I don't have a woodworking shop... hmmm.Well, me neither, but I have a forum friend who has the tools. I build crossovers, he builds boxes. :thmbsup:

Also, start watching for more S99 cabinets to work with, as I suggested in that thread. They're being parted out continuously, and the boxes often go to the landfill... :(