PDA

View Full Version : How to box larger speakers for shipment?

drano38
07-30-2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks to everyone's replies on a previous thread, I picked up a pair of L80T's off an auction this weekend. Unfortunatly, he does not have the original boxes. Since each speaker weighs over 40 lb and about 32" tall, he'll box them individually.
So whats the best way for him to box them so they don't get hurt?
Leave the grills on and bubble wrap real good? -> Will the grill pegs get broke if left on?
Take the grills off and bubble wrap them? -> Will this cause the bubble wrap to cave in the tweeter protective wire mesh or the surrounds on the mid/woofer?
Thanks in advance for the help.

hjames
07-30-2007, 04:52 AM
3 boxes - pair the grills up in one box, put each speaker in its own box. Forget the bubble wrap - one good thump and the bubbles are all gone then, the damage starts ... Instead, get some rigid 1" thick pink building foam ($8 sheet) and a metal yardstick/straightedge and make "shells" to go around your speakers.

See - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=165986&postcount=4

Be sure if you have any domes tweeters that you cut a cavity in the foam in front of them. I didn't realize this with the set I shipped and the tweeter domes got mooshed en route.

With the grills I laid one on a partial sheet of foam, pushed the pins in to locate it, put another foam on top, then the other grill, then another foam. I used scraps around the edges to separate the foam sheets so the grills didn't crush too bad.

You can get boxes there also - tho you may have to cut them down or resize them to fit your speakers.

My L36s took 2 sheets of foam plus three boxes and a Sunday afternoon - but the cabinets were still lovely at the other end ...

krzys
07-30-2007, 05:16 AM
I bought my Klipsch Cornwalls in Virginia and they were sent to Quebec. The seller has shipped them using BAX which is specialized in huge parcels. I'm not shure who packed them but it was done very well : a layer of thin paper, cardboard, then 2 inches of styrofoam and cardboard boxes. They came in perfect condition. I have to pick them at the airport and arrange the customs. Hope it helps.
Chris

johnaec
07-30-2007, 06:31 AM
Also see this thread for other detailed examples, (Heather - yours also should be in that thread): http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10246

John

drano38
08-02-2007, 06:01 PM
A big thanks to everyone who responded. I'm working w/ the seller to get them packed up and on the way.
A pair of L20T's I got off ebay arrived today. He left the grills on, put cardboard on front/sides, wrapped in bubble wrap, put them face to face in a box, and surronded that w/ peanuts.
Result: Left grill grommets on both speakers were pushed deeper into cabinet, and one tweeter screen was flattened a touch but the tweeter dome does not appear to be damaged. So the foam insulation sheets are the way to go for any speaker shipment--even bookself speakers.
Thanks again.

hjames
08-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Yeah, I just got a Yamaha CR-2020 receiver - it was a beautiful piece of gear - before it was shipped. She wrapped it in bubblepack and put it in a BIG box full of wadded up newspaper (!!!) Of course, every corner of the cabinet is now crushed, the Record selector switch shaft was sheared clean off, and the left channel has no output (the right channel sounds very sweet on these L300 clones - ah, what could have been ...!)

$8 bucks of foam could have saved that amp - now, its a battle for a refund. Warning, if they have perfect feedback, check if they have ever sent anything larger (or more valuable) than Barbie Dolls or hummel figurines.
She apparently hadn't ...

fotodan
08-03-2007, 06:17 AM
I've shipped many speakers with no damage whatsoever using the cardboard corner blocks that cabinet companies use in shipping cabinets. I cover baffel board with pink foam attach the 8 corner blocks and tape in place and wrap in plastic shrink wrap and then double box. Grilles are back to back in seperate box. Works everytime.:applaud: