PDA

View Full Version : 4345 Clones

JBLOG
07-25-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm quite inspired by the posts on the 4345 monitor and i'm going to take the plunge! I've read the threads but before I start cutting I have a few questions....

Is the 4345 using a 2405H or 2405J? Is there a preference in terms of sonics? Is Charge-coupled 3145 crossover network (by Giskard) voiced for the 16 ohm or 8 ohm? Any differences?

Should the front of the 2405 driver be flush with the baffle or have a slight relief?

Are folks using 3/4" MDF for the panels/top or 1"? Is PB better?? How about the Baffle? Hardwood plywood or MDF?

In the original 4345 production speaker, is the front baffle only secured via the rabbet-dado joints as depicted in the schematics, or is it also secured via screws to the 1 by 3 bracing?

Thanks,
Dave

boputnam
07-25-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm quite inspired by the posts on the 4345 monitor and i'm going to take the plunge! Wow - cool for you...

I've read the threads but before I start cutting I have a few questions.... Uh-oh...

Is the 4345 using a 2405H or 2405J? 2405H

Is there a preference in terms of sonics?Dunno - never tested A/B...

Is Charge-coupled 3145 crossover network (by Giskard) voiced for the 16 ohm or 8 ohm?I believe it is "voiced" for the 2405H, 8Ω.

Any differences?Possibly, but likely subtle at that band pass...?

Should the front of the 2405 driver be flush with the baffle or have a slight relief?It is basically flush. Don't fret this - there are far more material time / phase issues unaddressed which work themselves out acoustically in a most pleasing manner... :)

Are folks using 3/4" MDF for the panels/top or 1"? Is PB better?? How about the Baffle? Hardwood plywood or MDF? Panels are 1"; baffle is 3/4" ply (should double check all this with Rich Riessen's detailed work.

In the original 4345 production speaker, is the front baffle only secured via the rabbit-dado joints as depicted in the schematics, or it it also secured via screws to the 1 by 3 bracing?There are no screws penetrating the baffle...

JBLOG
07-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Bo thanks for the reply.
Looks like Ian was using some screws to secure the baffle on his project but he might have been using butt joints to secure the baffle in his enclosure design...it was hard to tell from the thread.

No screws in the baffle. Great! Makes my life a little easier.

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 11:25 PM
Hi Blog,

bo is the man ! Ricks drawings are brilliant ,do a search. I would suggest following them to the letter if you are not a joiner. I improvised on a few things. I used 1" MDF pre veneered board, MISTAKE . It looks fine , but with that much glue around I was lucky it did'nt get onto the veneer. I used splines on the mitres again,you need to have a pro workshop for this .
If you can , have everything cut for you . FLAT PACK. You don't realise how big they are until you start to assemble them.

cutting lists are a must.

good luck and have fun

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
07-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Bo thanks for the reply.
Looks like Ian was using some screws to secure the baffle on his project but he might have been using butt joints to secure the baffle in his enclosure design...it was hard to tell from the thread.

No screws in the baffle. Great! Makes my life a little easier.

Yeah,

My project was moulded into a 4345 based on measurements from Bo. Originally there were no drawings..we had nothing so my exisiting box was heavily modified to fit the 4345 dimensions that we took from Bo's tape measurements. The baffles were the hard part and mine were bolted in over an earlier baffle opening for convenience.

It was if you like the Momma 4345 clone and the basic drawings I did were later refined by Rick and others.

Guido
07-26-2007, 03:31 AM
Is the 4345 using a 2405H or 2405J? Is there a preference in terms of sonics? Is Charge-coupled 3145 crossover network (by Giskard) voiced for the 16 ohm or 8 ohm? Any differences?

There is no 2405J.
There is a 2405 (Alnico) and a 2405H (Ferrite). both use the D16R2405 dia.
Both are more or less 7-11 ohms over the bandwidth.

JBLOG
07-26-2007, 07:44 AM
Thanks all!