PDA

View Full Version : Glass-Top speakers

hjames
07-25-2007, 02:52 PM
In a thread about Brutal's recent score of a nice looking pair of L55s, I commented on how I liked the look of the glass top speakers. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17674
I mentioned I'd gotten glass cut for all my big speakers - but I didn't want to hijack his thread, so I'm posting the pictures here.

I know laying a sheet of glass on top to protect them isn't the same as the recessed glass of the L55s or similar models - then again, I get to enjoy the grain underneath, instead of the black felt and logo ...

I'd never done it before, but when I got the B-380, in the winter its under a hanging spider plant and I wanted to protect it from any possible over watering ...

Once I did that, I decided it just made sense to protect the L200s the same way ... they were the front speakers in the room at the time - kind of a matched set. (They're now upstairs).

And when I got the 4341s ... well, the veneer was surprisingly good, so again ... it just made sense to protect them.

1/4 bronze smoked glass cut to order was about $27 a piece - cheap!

00Robin
07-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Custom glass tops are really fairly cheap and not just for speakers even thought I do my speakers also. I do all of my wood furnishings and always go for the ultra thick beveled edges and in that bottle green. I love them.

jbl
08-03-2007, 03:08 PM
I dressed up my 4507 cabinets about 20 years ago with an acrylic top and walnut veneer. Modeled after the L300 & L65.

majick47
08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
Also had plate glass tops made for L200b. They looked good and they were functional as they protected against, scratches, moisture etc.

Zilch
08-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I dressed up my 4507 cabinets about 20 years ago with an acrylic top and walnut veneer. Modeled after the L300 & L65.Well, that certainly came out nicely, I'd say. :thmbsup:

Can you post a pic or two of the completed 4507 boxes, please? I think I'm about to load some 2381 horns in mine.... :yes:

Krunchy
08-04-2007, 05:25 AM
I think its a great Idea Heather, Bravo!:applaud: plus, they look very sharp indeed.
My mother in law was here a couple of weeks back and left a plate of food for my nephews (who didnt even want it or touched it, little brat) on top of the 4430's :jawdrop: :die:.
I will definitely go out and make the investment. why did'nt I think of it sooner :screwy:
Also, Glass Tops add a certain leve of sophistication and panache, both of which I am in great need of :D

hjames
08-04-2007, 06:55 AM

Also, Glass Tops add a certain leve of sophistication and panache, both of which I am in great need of :D

Nope, if you can use panache in a sentence, you are not lacking in sophistication! (unless you'da spelled it pancho) :applaud:

Thom
08-04-2007, 08:55 AM
does the glass have an air space? If not do you seal the edges? If not does capillary action cause any problem?

For white rings from glasses etc., a mixture of toothpaste and elbow grease mixed 50 50 will remove white rings.

hjames
08-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Banner Glass here in Fairfax gives me these little clear discs to put on the wood - they kind of cling to the bottom of the glass once its laid on top, but they give a maybe a 1/32 inch spacing between the wood and the glass.
Even with that 100+ lb rack of JBL amps and crossover downstairs on the 4341 it doesn't have enough space to let the glass flex and crack.

does the glass have an air space? If not do you seal the edges? If not does capillary action cause any problem?

For white rings from glasses etc., a mixture of toothpaste and elbow grease mixed 50 50 will remove white rings.

jbl
08-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Well, that certainly came out nicely, I'd say. :thmbsup:

Can you post a pic or two of the completed 4507 boxes, please? I think I'm about to load some 2381 horns in mine.... :yes:
Here goes, Zilch.

UreiCollector
08-04-2007, 06:36 PM
My mother in law was here a couple of weeks back and left a plate of food for my nephews (who didnt even want it or touched it, little brat) on top of the 4430's :jawdrop: :die:.
How was the funeral??

Krunchy
08-05-2007, 08:37 AM
How was the funeral??
Death wish is right! Urge to kill rose dramatically, would have thrown the kid in there too at no additional charge :D if it wasnt for my painfully strict moral upbringing ;) Funeral arrangements postponed......for now.

Krunchy
08-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Nope, if you can use panache in a sentence, you are not lacking in sophistication! (unless you'da spelled it pancho) :applaud:
Nice of you to say so but that "leve" of sophistication, thats going to have to be lookied into :D
Now panacho, thats another story.:)
By the way Heather I dig that lamp in your first picture, is that in the "open" position, are you able to enclose the bulb with what appear to be the concentric circles that make up the lamp shade?

Storm
08-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that be the right time to explain to the kid, and/or the adult as to why you value such speakers. Most people don't give a hoot to speakers - they think they are the same. However, if you tell them you find them to be very special and dear, I am sure they can level with that and respect your things, next time.

Just a thought, before someone kills someone.

I am sure I would kill someone too if they messed with my 250TIs, but luckily, there is no room for a house plant, let alone a drink!

;)

-Storm.

hjames
08-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Nice of you to say so but that "leve" of sophistication, thats going to have to be lookied into :D
Now panacho, thats another story.:)
By the way Heather I dig that lamp in your first picture, is that in the "open" position, are you able to enclose the bulb with what appear to be the concentric circles that make up the lamp shade?

Thanks, Emma picked that lamp out at a loft design type store across the street from UVA in Charlottesville, VA (Hiya Phil!). The concentric rings spin and can shield it like a nautilus shell. I'd moved the lamp to set up the picture, it shifted to open, and forgot to spin it before the pix.
I'd adapted it to a mic stand and made a floor lamp from it, but Emma prefers the table lamp style (although I think its original design is too low)

Krunchy
08-05-2007, 11:44 AM
I'd adapted it to a mic stand and made a floor lamp from it, but Emma prefers the table lamp style (although I think its original design is too low)
NICE! I see what you mean about it being a little low, could probably benefit from a little height, but it is very cool none the less. Id love to see one of those in a larger scale.

Krunchy
08-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't that be the right time to explain to the kid, and/or the adult as to why you value such speakers. Most people don't give a hoot to speakers - they think they are the same. luckily, there is no room for a house plant, let alone a drink!

;)-Storm. Storm, you are absolutely right and my wife would agree with you, unfortunately something in me prevents me from acting in a sensible/reasonable manner. Its too tepid for me, I prefer bold strokes of action and indecisiveness that I will probably regret later after the bridge has burnt down and only the smouldering cinders remain.
Blatant displays of individuality Storm, thats what its all about! Now, I must go and count my socks.

brutal
08-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Recently returned from vacation so I haven't had time to do anything with them. Heck, I still haven't installed the surrounds on the 128H pair I picked up 3 weeks ago to build another set of L112. I did contact Rick Cobb about surrounds as I've decided not to risk cone contamination trying the brake fluid trick on the Lansalloy.

The good news is that the wife likes them! She thinks they're pretty with the glass tops. :applaud: Now I just have to find a place for them. The HT room is my main speaker storage for now (L112, SVA1600, L100) and the only real listening room other than my home office (4310 always and L56 rarely.) Need to sell those L56's... Just need more amps and players to run all these bad boys. I even have a spare (3rd) turntable to really enjoy them.