PDA

View Full Version : L80T or L100T & L20T for home theater?

drano38
07-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Wow, I stumbled across this site last week. What a great place!:D
I’ve loved my L20T’s since I got them in collage ~1986, powered by an HK receiver (690i until a few years ago when I got the AVR 520).

I’d like to get more speakers to utilize the home theater mode (5.1) of my AVR 520.
Would L80T or L100T speakers for the mains and my current L20T’s for the rear work well, or would I be disappointed?
And if that works, the huge question is what do I do for the center channel?
- Buy another pair of L20T’s and use one for the center? Not sure how I'd mount that for my JVC 32" traditional TV.
- Or pick up a current model JBL center channel?
-- If so, any model recommendations to match the sound and quality of the L20T/L80T/L100T?

Thanks in advance from the new guy.
Drano

MJC
07-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Welcome to the site, this is a great place for us JBL types.
I don't know much about that series of speakers, but its always best to have 3 identical front speakers. And the surrounds should be voice matched to the fronts.
The L Series may be all voice matched. If you know they are voiced the same then go for it, but try to keep the front 3 the same model.
I know in the case of the Ti Series (250Ti, 240Ti and 120Ti), they are not voiced the same.
As far as using a current center, that's not a good idea, as it would be nowhere close in sonic signature to what you have now.
As for your tv, if its like my old 31" and needs a table or stand just raise it up so the bottom of the screen clears the top of the center speaker. I used stacks of concrete blocks, covered over with black felt, and had my center L55 in front the stack.

hjames
07-25-2007, 05:24 PM
I've got a set of L20T speakers in the rear - I think they work great as rears. Not quite enough low end for fronts, but fine for surround if you have a good sub or mains with low end.

The other folks have steered you right - your best bet for the front/mains is to match 3 speakers ... either L80s or L100Ts (or L100T3s - even better) - the hardest part will be to find 3 of them!
You really do want LF Center RF all with the same kind of sound, if at all possible.

Wow, I stumbled across this site last week. What a great place!:D
I’ve loved my L20T’s since I got them in college ~1986, powered by an HK receiver (690i until a few years ago when I got the AVR 520).

I’d like to get more speakers to utilize the home theater mode (5.1) of my AVR 520.
Would L80T or L100T speakers for the mains and my current L20T’s for the rear work well, or would I be disappointed?
And if that works, the huge question is what do I do for the center channel?
- Buy another pair of L20T’s and use one for the center? Not sure how I'd mount that for my JVC 32" traditional TV.
- Or pick up a current model JBL center channel?
-- If so, any model recommendations to match the sound and quality of the L20T/L80T/L100T?

Thanks in advance from the new guy.
Drano

drano38
07-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.

I was really hoping I could mix front speakers w/in the LxxT series because I’d like bigger left/rights for 2-channel music.
Of course I could use 3 L80T’s but the center one would be hard to place (maybe it could lay on its side on the floor, but not sure that would work either).

My TV sits on a stand I made a few years ago w/ the receiver and speakers set in it. If I went w/ 5 L20T’s, I could set the center in front of the stereo when I wanted surround. Not ideal, but I don’t have time right now to build a hole new TV stand.

hjames, I hope you didn’t drill holes into those beautiful cabinets to hang them from the ceiling! What are you using for front speakers?

http://www.geocities.com/drano38/Speakers_TV.jpg
Sounds like I already got some great info, but if anyone else wants to chime in, please feel free.

Thanks again
Drano

hjames
07-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Actually, we won't talk about the holes in the side of the cabinets ... :)
But I do oil them regularly!

In the front I have some big ol' things ... (pro monitors I got recently - the blue speakers in my Avatar)
i have a big old subwoofer over on the side (killer deal from local craigslist) ...
Got a newer JBL center channel speaker last year 'cause with the cabinet under the TV there's no way to put a matching big box for the center ...

I have the L20Ts in the front for a while right after I got them (around march this year). There were real nice - but lacked the deep bass I've gotten used to ... But I'll betcha 5 of them would do real nice with a good amp & Subwoofer to fill in the bottom.

Thanks for the quick replies.
I was really hoping I could mix front speakers w/in the LxxT series because I’d like bigger left/rights for 2-channel music.
Of course I could use 3 L80T’s but the center one would be hard to place (maybe it could lay on its side on the floor, but not sure that would work either).

hjames, I hope you didn’t drill holes into those beautiful cabinets to hang them from the ceiling! What are you using for front speakers?

Drano

MJC
07-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Having 3 identical speakers across the front is ideal, but if you can get a good match using one of the L20T for the center and a pair of the larger models then do it that way if you can't get a large center to work because of the tv.
I prefer having 3 identical speakers across the front, and having a 65" tv, the bottom of the screen is higher allowing me to use a 24" tall center.
And good luck in finding speakers in the L Series to match.

hjames
07-26-2007, 03:50 AM
I actually started to build up a better center channel speaker with a horn driver and slot tweeter like my left and rights have - but getting a 15 inch woofer (and appropriate cabinet) in the center space just can't happen in my house. Some folks here have managed to do that - but I kind of like the beech cabinet the tv sits on, so that limits me to a center above the TV

Truth is, I'd no doubt have better sound across the front for movies if I could find a 3rd 4341 studio monitor to use (and a place to put it!) in the Center, but I have willing accepted that my front sound field isn't perfect for Movies. Its a trade-off for me because I have excellent quality of sound from just the 2 front mains when I am playing music (non-surround stereo mode), using them for movies and TV is secondary.

You can have a difference in front to rears - for movies and TV, your surrounds (and rears, if you go 7.1 surround) can be lesser speakers because MOST of the important sounds in a film (or TV) come from the front).

See, lots of folks here will tell you you have to do this or you need that for a perfect surround sound system for TV and movies, then recommend you have a completely dedicated 2 channel system for music. I didn't have that luxury, I use my system for both.

The image below of the grey cabinets and big screen TV is Todd's design - he did great with his choices! He custom built the center speaker cabinet and uses drivers that match his left and right fronts. They are all on the same level (height) too, the front sound field must be great with his setup. He has a much bigger space than I do!

Next picture shows my fronts - with the cover off the center speaker. Final picture is my subwoofer ( same 15" as the fronts have).
You've already seen the rears - I don't have side surrounds, tho my HK receiver can do 7.1 Again, I'm there for the music, mostly.

I made a compromise in my system because (1) I just don't have the room or the money for 5 massive speakers (6 if you count the subwoofer!)
(2) my main use is music.

I didn't always have those massive speakers up from - for a long time I used an old (1976) pair of JBL L36 bookshelf speakers as my front left & Right ... and added an RCA center channel speaker a friend gave me. A mismatch, but I got the idea of what the center channel added to TV and movies.

Different people have different requirements and make compromises.
Start with ideal conditions, figure out your priorities and then make informed choices.

If I were you I'd get those L80Ts for the front, then find a JBL sub to match ... you can get a center speaker later - or - maybe find something cheap to get you by until
you get the perfect match. These systems are always evolving anyway ...

You know the front sounds best if all the speakers are at the same height and use the same driver, you can do different,
but your surround sound will be affected. Only you will know how much it matters

hjames
Thanks for the info on your system.
But now I'm confused.
You and the other poster recommended keeping all speakers the same. But it appears you have mixed across the front, and front to rear.
Did you get lucky and find all speakers with similar sound so it works in your case?

I'm not doubting your advice from the original post, but it sounds like mixing speakers can work, especially when you say you have a relatively new center speaker.

Any added thoughts on your part would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Drano

Robh3606
07-26-2007, 05:01 AM
I have used L80T3 with L20T3 in a surround set up and it was fine. It sounded very good. They are correct ideally you should have 3 of the same across the front but many times you simply can't do it. You can get very good results using mixed speakers, as most surround systems are, if you choose wisely and do a good job setting them up. The older Studio Series center channel matched well with the L80t3.

Rob:)

opimax
07-26-2007, 06:12 AM
In another thread or if you could direct this info about the the TIa to me I would appreciate it

Mark

I don't know much about that series of speakers, but its always best to have 3 identical front speakers. And the surrounds should be voice matched to the fronts.
The L Series may be all voice matched. If you know they are voiced the same then go for it, but try to keep the front 3 the same model.
I know in the case of the Ti Series (250Ti, 240Ti and 120Ti), they are not voiced the same.

Don C
07-26-2007, 08:00 AM
I used to have a pair of L20T as my main speakers, helped with a velodyne sub. It wasn't ideal, as I sometimes like to listen loud.The L20s were pretty robust, but I was getting some power compression. As I would crank it up, they would only go so loud, then no louder, while the sub still had some headroom.
I'd be happy with L100T as mains, with a 4412 as center, space allowing. I still use the L20ts as surrounds.

MJC
07-26-2007, 06:41 PM
You can have a difference in front to rears - for movies and TV, your surrounds (and rears, if you go 7.1 surround) can be lesser speakers because MOST of the important sounds in a film (or TV) come from the front).

See, lots of folks here will tell you you have to do this or you need that for a perfect surround sound system for TV and movies, then recommend you have a completely dedicated 2 channel system for music. I didn't have that luxury, I use my system for both.

Not having the same speakers all around, but the same series, is a WHOLE lot different from using just any ole sets of speakers.

8 years ago I was using 3 L55s across the front, and they were very good. But I was using my original pair of L212s for the surrounds. Because those two sets of speakers are SO different the sound was just plain wrong as it panned from front to back during movies.

So, as I have said before, the perfect setup is to have all the same speakers all around. next is to have the 3 fronts the same, third best is to have a different center that is voiced matched to the mains, such as the PC600 center is a very good match for the PT800s mains, according to Ti Dome.

Of coarse, having a dedicated stereo setup, as I have, all analog, all the time, is indeed sweet.

hjames
07-26-2007, 06:57 PM
As LG says in many threads

...this stuff is all about compromises...

MJC
07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
As LG says in many threads

...this stuff is all about compromises...
Every speaker made is a compromise. But if a person is going to spend time and cash putting together a multichannel system, be it for movies or DVD-A/SACD or both, might as well get is as good as you can given the limitations of the space in the room and ones budget.
But there is no reason to start small and not work your way up, as time goes on.
Since '91 I've changed my HT setup five times, at least as far as the models of speakers used, and combinations there of, and made improvements every time.

Zilch
07-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Don C has the answer - 4412.

OR build an MTM center based upon 4408/L60T.... :yes:

WifesPissed
07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
I am a big fan of L-112s for HT. They have the best vocal reproduction and wide stage of any speakers I have audited (mostly AR, Infinity, and JBL). They just sound very real. I need one more for my center. For close timbre matching I am using L-46's for the rear. No sub needed.

drano38
08-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
I was able to purchase off ebay a pair of L20T's and I'll use one of those for the center. And I got a pair of L80T's also for the front mains (for $260--seemed like a great deal). They should be here next week. The seller is from Minneapolis, so hopefully he was not in the bridge tragedy.
Hopefully it will sound good. Some day I'll try to pick up another set of L80T's so I can use one for the center. But in the mean time, I'll compromise and use the L20T for the center.
Of course in the mean time, several pairs very good looking L100T's have been up for auction and are going for about $300-350. But they take up a lot of room, and are quite heavy to move all the time.
Thanks again for the help

JosephH1
11-12-2007, 08:41 AM
My vote is for the L100t3. I am currently running a pair of L100t3 for the front main speakers, with ADS HT400LCR for center and rear speakers. I do not find a need for a subwoffer with this set up. In fact I often have to reduce the bass.
I purchased a pair of L20t3's online Saturday night. Once I receive them I will post the results. I really like the ADS speakers, but I hope that the L20t3s will be a better match with their big brothers.