PDA

View Full Version : Everest DD55000

Zilch
07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Pics from HiFiDo:

Andyoz
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Nice,

One of my big regrets was seeing a set of these at a hifi show in the 80's and not listening to them properly. I was only about 13 at the time, and recall being a bit scared of them so I legged it out of the room.

Stupid question, are the prices shown on the website per speaker and NOT per pair :blink:

If that's the case, those Everests are US$16,000 and the set of L250's they also have are $5,000. Surely, that couldn't be right?!?!!?

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Andy ,

they are sweet as ! we should build a pair:applaud: And that is the price each !

That horn is out there somewhere, I've seen them for sale.

Rich

Andyoz
07-25-2007, 12:14 PM
OK, I'll let you convince the missus when you come over.:)

That horn really is a work of sculpture, looks almost organic.

speakerdave
07-25-2007, 12:52 PM
. . . . That horn is out there somewhere, I've seen them for sale.

The same was horn used in the 4660 PA speaker. It could give voice coverage for the whole congregation.

David

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 01:00 PM
OK, I'll let you convince the missus when you come over.:)

That horn really is a work of sculpture, looks almost organic.

Making the horn would be a doddle compared to the other task. I told you before BUY MORE FLOWERS.

:banghead:

They are my favorite JBL. Pure sound architecture .They wood be tons fun to build. I can't imagine ever using the grills. They really do evoke the notion of Everest.

someday well break a sweat lifting a pair ;)

Home wrecker

grumpy
07-25-2007, 01:04 PM
The same was horn used in the 4660 PA speaker.

very similar indeed, but there are a few differences (that wouldn't prevent one from making
a DIY version with the 4660/4660A horn)... hole pattern and fill on the backside of the
"horns"

They wood be tons fun to build.

a few folks here have taken a good stab at it... there's certainly enough info.:)

-grumpy

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 01:09 PM
your mission Andy should you choose to accept it , seek and secure those horns:applaud:

Rich

Titanium Dome
07-25-2007, 01:26 PM
There was a time when you could have gotten all three drivers brand new for these ridiculous prices. Alas, no more...

merlin
07-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Guys,

I have a friend in Tokyo who asked. They are £4K the pair - but pretty bashed up when seen close by. Shipping to the UK with packing - £495.;)

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 01:43 PM
hey Merlin,

hope your well. I was thinking of Andyoz for the DD55000 . Thats a lot of yen !!!!I still have yearnings for the secret one .

I hope you can make it to the 1st Peckham JBL international whiskey drinking contest.

Rich

merlin
07-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Hi Rich,

hope so too - Ive been stuck inside too much lately!

Sadly though I might be in Tokyo myself that weekend, playing in hifiDo and Dynamic Audio...

You must come over before then - have a listen to my mongrels.

Andyoz
07-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Anyone know if there are any Everest's in the UK.

"Home wrecker" for sure.

Zilch
07-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Member Matthias attempted to replicate the Everest I horn, as documented in these forums.

I believe his sample is still stuck to the concrete he was using to make the mold, though.

H2600, the truncated version, makes it all a simpler task, and those are still available. You have to have the throats made, though, as they don't come with.

Mr. Widget is your source for those.... :yes:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79361#post79361

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67221&highlight=truncated#post67221

Andyoz
07-25-2007, 03:23 PM
Looks like there's another pair for sale here..well I think so as there's a price listed.

http://www.mat-hifi.co.jp/jbl/JBL.everest.htm

Andyoz
07-25-2007, 03:30 PM
Here's some other Everest shots that really shows their contours.

merlin
07-25-2007, 04:11 PM
This stuff is everywhere over there to be honest. I was amazed last year to find three pairs of K2-9800's in the bleedin' basement of the hotel!

You can have a decent pair of 4345 for £2K if you look in the right parts of Akihabara. And there was a pair of 4435 roped to an awning outside an arcade, being used to broadcast a sales assistant's pleas to passers by to come inside.

Andyoz
07-25-2007, 04:32 PM
Rich,

There's a set of Everest horns in Belgium here: http://audio.colab.be/Occasions/945DDADF-097C-4E09-B5CB-7CCBEAF977FF.html

EDIT: I just found out that that "Vendu" means sold!!

These guys are also listing some TAD drivers under the "Conseil" tab at the top but not the 2001's you are specifically after (worth a call though?)

Hoerninger
07-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Some theorie of this specific horn
as AES preprint 1983 by

D.B.Keele, Jr.
JBL Incorporated
Northridge, California

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 11:38 PM
I need a cold shower now:p

Andy,

how much the horns ?

Rich

Andyoz
07-26-2007, 01:38 AM
This stuff is everywhere over there to be honest. I was amazed last year to find three pairs of K2-9800's in the bleedin' basement of the hotel!

You can have a decent pair of 4345 for £2K if you look in the right parts of Akihabara. And there was a pair of 4435 roped to an awning outside an arcade, being used to broadcast a sales assistant's pleas to passers by to come inside.

Why do the prices charged through the official sellers seem so over the top. Is there a more "normal" private sellers market out there ? The carriage price of £495 for the Everests doesn't seem too bad really. Do you get hit with VAT when they land in the UK or are there ways around that?

Also, are there actually any Everest owners on the forum? I haven't found any yet and woud be interested in people who have actaully heard them.

Maron Horonzakz
07-26-2007, 06:50 AM
You,d think with all the tooling costs on that horn JBL would have found more use,s for it... On the domestic side.

johnaec
07-26-2007, 07:04 AM
You,d think with all the tooling costs on that horn JBL would have found more use,s for it... On the domestic side.The problem is two-fold: public acceptance, (WAF), of such a large, odd-looking horn, especially in the home, and applicability of its unique dispersion attributes, which narrowly defines locations where it can be used with acceptable results.

John

Zilch
07-26-2007, 12:58 PM
You,d think with all the tooling costs on that horn JBL would have found more use,s for it... On the domestic side.They are friggin' HUGE.

And that's the driver sticking out the back of the cabinet there. They are deep, to boot....

Titanium Dome
07-26-2007, 01:00 PM
The problem is two-fold: public acceptance, (WAF), of such a large, odd-looking horn, especially in the home, and applicability of its unique dispersion attributes, which narrowly defines locations where it can be used with acceptable results.

John

Even my eternally tolerant girlfrend is put off a bit by the comparativley milder-looking S2600s with their Everest-like horn. To her credit, she helped me move them upstairs, which was a miserable f@$#*ng job, believe me, but once in place she was pretty determined to have me keep the grilles on.

She likes to describe them as "those big, weird-oh looking things." I can only imagine the reception the 55000s would get.

Of course, I'd love to put her to the test, but then there's the other Everest factor: the cost.

Maron Horonzakz
07-27-2007, 06:58 AM
When your king of the castle you dont worry what the queen says about the decorum... I have a grand piano and a Paragon in the same room. One word out of her & off with her head....:biting:

Storm
07-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Isn't it called compromising?

As much as I love my beau, it would hurt me to take control like that.

More power to you....

:blink:

-Storm.

When your king of the castle you dont worry what the queen says about the decorum... I have a grand piano and a Paragon in the same room. One word out of her & off with her head....:biting:

hjames
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM

I notice that you said this without her around ... :)
perhaps she has another opinion ;)
perhaps the King sleeps in the swamp when he gets feisty like that ...:p

Ian Mackenzie
07-27-2007, 03:02 PM
If you guys went into production you might even sell a few with Tad drivers!

Maron Horonzakz
07-28-2007, 10:57 AM
The Queen just said as long as she gets more jewels she doesnt mind.:applaud:

Maron Horonzakz
07-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Ian ...With a TAD 2001 mounted in that horn, The slot tweeter might not be needed;)

Andyoz
07-28-2007, 11:18 AM
If you guys went into production you might even sell a few with Tad drivers!

Yes, but it wouldn't be the Everest any more :)...perhaps not the perfect beast but surely an historically important release onto the unsuspecting public.

I have found there is a guy on this forum in my old homeland of Oz with a set (only two pairs were ever sold there) and I think it may have been his set I heard at the hifi show.

Has anyone got any interesting Everest anecdotes, I'm surprised there are not more owners active on this forum.

Ian Mackenzie
07-29-2007, 06:41 AM
No no..the Japanese insist on tweeter for SACD (Tad of course).

I have whispered to Rich the DD55000 may prove an interesting project for him down the track!

The Queen by the way does not approve of being told by a yankee reporter she over dresses.

Speaking of which I am being summonsed. Talk more about this in the morning.

Ian

Zilch
07-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Ian ...With a TAD 2001 mounted in that horn, The slot tweeter might not be needed;)The slot does precedence correction, and is essential to the design, though I don't understand it. See the white paper.

It also generates combing with the MF driver in the crossover region, which may be mitigated somewhat with toe-in. Reviewers made a big deal out of that. What good is the expanded image field if it's full of phase interference?

It was eliminated in the S2300/3100 implementation. :dont-know