PDA

View Full Version : Tweeter for 250 Ti

gerard
07-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium Dome http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=173371#post173371)
If you go here, you can get a TM025F7 Ti 1" dome for under $20. This may be a better application than the PT800 tweeter and EOS Waveguide. It basically has a built-in waveguide, though it's non-EOS. You could always adapt it for your purposes, while keeping your PT800 tweeters intact.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n...3AAudax&page=1 (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A281407%2Cp_4%3AAudax&page=1)

I am asking again .

I have the 035 Ti Tweeter on my 250 Clones .
Could the TM025F7 / SAN SPEAK 2904/7001 / SCAN SPEAK 2904/7000 ( very nice looking and expensive ) or 076 / 077 could make some improvment ? .And of course wich of those ones could be better ? :o:

Gerard

JBLnsince1959
07-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi gerard:

I'll address what Dome was saying in the 250 box thread. We were discussing about putting in the PS series into a 250 box, thus the mention of the TM025F7 Ti 1" dome ( in place of the pS series tweeter) so this wouldn't be advisable for a regular 250TI, the 035TI tweeter is much better I'm sure...

If I were you I'll stay with the 035Ti and be happy... I'll let others discuss the 076 / 077 in a 250 TI, personally I think one would have to do a lot with the crossover design to do it right

hope this helps

Titanium Dome
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Gerard, mon ami, I would agree that you should stick with the 035TiA as it will be a better match for the other drivers.

However, I might be less likely to write that the 035TiA is superior to the TM025. It has many advances over the 035TiA, including the forming of the dome, the shape of the dome, the surround, and the magnet. I see them as two fine, but dissimilar Ti tweeters.

gerard
07-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Oui merci beaucoup mon cher ami .

But nobody speaks about this wonderful looking R2904/7000 ring radiator from Scan speak !.
And what would be the change on the Xover ?

Gerard

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Max/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Max/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Max/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg

Titanium Dome
07-24-2007, 04:20 PM
I believe Mr. Widget is un grand admirateur of that driver. He knows more than anyone else here, I think.

You might need to PM him. Je ne le vois pas ici très souvent.

JBLnsince1959
07-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Gerard, mon ami, I would agree that you should stick with the 035TiA as it will be a better match for the other drivers.

However, I might be less likely to write that the 035TiA is superior to the TM025. It has many advances over the 035TiA, including the forming of the dome, the shape of the dome, the surround, and the magnet. I see them as two fine, but dissimilar Ti tweeters.

Hi Doug:

When i said that the 035Ti was "much better" ( not superior) I was refering specifically to the application in the 250TI and not comparing the tweeters in general.

I only know what i've gleemed from the web site about the TM025F7 Ti 1" dome and I have not bought one and measured it's performance. Altho I might buy one for the PS/250 project and get it's numbers..

Titanium Dome
07-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes, I see it now. Sorry I misread it.:o:

gerard
07-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Sorry JBLnsince1959 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/member.php?u=514)

Can you expain a little bit more why the 035ti is better for the 250 Ti system?

Ps : What a wonderful looking dog on your avatar .

Gerard
vbmenu_register("postmenu_178437", true);

JBLnsince1959
07-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Yes, I see it now. Sorry I misread it.:o:

Well, it could be the way I wrote it, I'm not the best at expressing myself via words ( I'm a math guy)

Can you expain a little bit more why the 035ti is better for the 250 Ti system?

Ps : What a wonderful looking dog on your avatar .

Gerard

Thanks for the comments about Whit, she's my "baby" for sure.

I'll be glad to address what I said about the 035Ti, but I'll have to go into my basic philosophy about speakers. I'm very careful about making changes to speakers as I view them as a "system" and not just a collection of parts that can be changed at will. In system theory we learn that to change any one part within the system ( no matter how small) will change the entire system. For example, just by putting speakers in different rooms ( or even different positions within a single room)one will get different results. When engineers design a speaker, they consider many things and one of the main things they consider is how ALL the trans sound together. Thus it is posible to put average trans together and have a very good sounding system and one could put "great" trans together and get a bad sounding system. It depends on the on the knowledge and skill of the designer creating the "system".

Now about the 250Ti, we know a few things about it.
1. It was a pet project of G.T.s' and very dear to his heart, so this was not just "another" speaker to him.
2. It was an attemp to produce a very high quality "audiophile" speaker for it's day. Read the design specs about the L250 that Giskard put in the Tech Ref forum.
3. the design of the whole 250 "system" was based on the trans. What I mean by this this is that the design of the box ( baffle slope, shape and tuning), crossovers and placement of the trans etc...was dependent upon what trans he was using.

So the 250 project was one of the most "tightly" designed "sytems" by GT. made for the general public.

therefore if one is to replace ONE trans in the 250 system, most likely it will not "fit" the entire system design. for example ( and to keep it simple), there's no way the TM025F7 Ti 1" dome can have the same physical dimensions of the 035Ti ( or 033ti), therefore it's not likely to fit within the design specs of the 250 system ( time aligment etc), thus the entire system will be off.

Now, is it possible to "improve" the 250 system...yes, BUT any changes MUST be with the basic system design of the 250 ( CC crossovers for example)

anyway, that's my take on it and others may disagee

Now, about my reply... I didn't want you to think that we were talking about the 250 system when Dome was talking about the TM025F7 Ti and have you go chasing the "Holy Grail" of tweeters for the 250.

well, I have to go work. I'll write more later if you have questions.

By the way, I've followed your 250 project from the beginning and I admire what you've done

take care
rick

gerard
07-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Rick

I fully agree with you but my system is only a clone so I can disgress the choice of components I believe .

What I can say is :

1- I Listen to a real 250Ti system ( jblnut system in the Us ) with a Xover modified by Giscard so I now how the 250 ti should sounds .

2- Even if I use an Xlp200 Xover , I do not believe my system is so bad compared to . But it only works well bi amped with an active filter .

3- I have read scan speak R2904/7000 can go up to 40 khz and that if you listen to vinyl this can makes some difference .
( it took me sometimes to understand what was the main difference between Cd and Vinyl and I believe it is harmonics Cd does not have .)

4- Crossover design for a Tweeter ( Is this so important ? ) if the tweeter can go down to 3 khz and you have an Lpad ( Sorry I am not so familiar with cross over design )

Gerard

gerard
07-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Rick

I fully agree with you but my system is only a clone so I can disgress the choice of components I believe .

What I can say is :

1- I Listen to a real 250Ti system ( jblnut system in the Us ) with a Xover modified by Giscard so I now how the 250 ti should sounds .

2- Even if I use an Xlp200 Xover , I do not believe my system is so bad compared to . But it only works well bi amped with an active filter .

3- I have read scan speak R2904/7000 can go up to 40 khz and that if you listen to vinyl this can makes some difference .
( it took me sometimes to understand what was the main difference between Cd and Vinyl and I believe it is harmonics Cd does not have .)

4- Crossover design for a Tweeter ( Is this so important ? ) if the tweeter can go down to 3 khz and you have an Lpad ( Sorry I am not so familiar with cross over design )

Gerard

JBLnsince1959
07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Rick

Gerard

Of course.....I just didn't want you to think that we were discussing the 250 system in the other thread...

as far as the crossover for the tweeter, other people may help you with that as they would have more experience with it. I'm on a tight deadline this next week and I don't have time to study the crossover(s) in depth...

take care
rick