PDA

View Full Version : Large JBL's listen to this!

Ken Pachkowsky
02-16-2004, 02:27 PM
If you guys have not heard Diana Krall on a high end system then grab some of her material and be prepared for a wonderfull experience.

I have been collecting a number of her releases on Kazza over the last few weeks and am blown away by the quality of the recordings and musicians. Here are a couple of my favorites so far:

East Of The Sun
All Or Nothing At All

If your Jazz buffs you will love this girl.

Ken

mikebake
02-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Her material is nice, but she is/has been so overused as audio demo material that it is now the kiss of death to have her CD in at places like CES.............................

Ken Pachkowsky
02-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by mikebake
Her material is nice, but she is/has been so overused as audio demo material that it is now the kiss of death to have her CD in at places like CES.............................

A friend turned me on to her just a few weeks ago. She comes from a small town I used to live in on Vancouver Island, Canada. I am surprised I had not heard of her before.

Ken

mikebake
02-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Very popular; Grammy awards etc. etc.
She has been on the scene quite some time now and has shown up on even the general publics radar screen.

Donald
02-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Imagine what she sounds like direct from a CD instead of an undersampled MP3. :-)

Guenter
02-16-2004, 08:02 PM
Ken, get her Paris concert DVD. Great recording along with equally great video. Yes, she is from Nanaimo and has been highly acclaimed here for years already. Winning Juno's before Americans became aware of her. But, as usual, you got to make it in the States before you get to be a 'real' star :)

regards and enjoy

btw. try to download wma rather than mp3's I've come to think of the former as sounding better all else equal.

PaulB
02-17-2004, 09:27 AM
In the 15 minutes of fame dept ;)

I've been a fan of hers for yearssssss, and my company was a sponsor of a jazz festival when her career had just become hot, so a very well meaning organizer of the event tried to "fix us up" on a blind date. Unfortunately, she became so white hot just days before the event that it was a mob scene backstage and... well, suffice it to say it wasn't meant to be ;)

Much as I love her work I have to agree, you can't listen to any jazz station for more than half an hour it seems without hearing her. I'd really recommend one of her cuts you don't hear constantly like "The Folks Who Live on the Hill" (hopefully that's the correct title). If you like that sultry sort of vocalist, another lesser known but great one is Connie Evingson... check out "Some Cats Know"... best thing since Barry White ;)

GordonW
02-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Yep, Paul, and now she's married to Elvis Costello. Life is truly odd sometimes, the things that happen...

Regards,
Gordon.