PDA

View Full Version : Snake?

Rolf
07-21-2007, 11:34 PM
One of my 2235H's woofers now sound like a rattlesnake. Do not know why, and needs a re-cone job:biting:.

Have not played "to high":p and now it must go to the hospital. What do I do in the days to follow?

Rolf

Guido
07-22-2007, 04:28 AM
Rolf, please check if something touches the cone from the inside.

It's highly rare that a massring loosen. I always glue them double safe.

Robh3606
07-22-2007, 06:24 AM
I had the same problem. It was a loose mass ring. If the driver is out of the cabinet just give it a shake and you should here a clank.

Rob:)

pelly3s
07-22-2007, 05:51 PM
also could be the shunting ring on the pole piece i had one of mine that did that

SMKSoundPro
07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Is it possible to have crap in the gap? something ferrous scratching along the voice coil.

or

overheating the voice coil winding to the point where the coil actually slides off of the copper former, otherwise known as "dropping the coil"

Just get it reconed by a true JBL recone artist, and you will be rewarded with many more years of jubal enjoyment!

scott.

edgewound
07-23-2007, 03:43 PM
One of my 2235H's woofers now sound like a rattlesnake. Do not know why, and needs a re-cone job:biting:.

Have not played "to high":p and now it must go to the hospital. What do I do in the days to follow?

Rolf

Rolf,

If it still plays and just has a rattle on bass freqs...it does sound like the mass ring has broken loose.

No big deal to fix. The dome needs to be removed, reglue the ring, replace the dust cap...should fix it.

Getting it to look pretty is the only challenge. Preferably with a new dome.

If you carefully cut around the base of the dome with a NEW razor blade leaving it attached so it opens like a soup can lid, you can do it all with some thick superglue.

Lay a bead of superglue along the cut line of the dome when closing it up.

Any JBL Servicers in your area? Maybe send it to Guido.

John
07-23-2007, 08:34 PM
What type of glue are you guys using for the mass ring?:hmm:

Rolf
07-24-2007, 09:19 AM
Hi folks. I Have removed the woofer, and the yellow inner suspension (the spider?) is come completely loos, all the 360deg, so I guess at the same time the voice coil is ruined.

I have never seen this before. What could have caused it?

edgewound
07-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi folks. I Have removed the woofer, and the yellow inner suspension (the spider?) is come completely loos, all the 360deg, so I guess at the same time the voice coil is ruined.

Rolf,

Sounds like a bad assembly. Is it factory or a recone? How old is it?

Anyhow...don't lose faith yet. The voice coil might still be ok. You can try regluing the spider with an industrial strength rubber cement such as 3M 847 or weatherstripping cement.

Apply the cement between the spider and frame landing...careful...not too much...Place the speaker cone-face-up... press down on the dome and release several times until there is no voice coil rub that you can feel. You might have to position it slightly by hand. This will help to re-center the coil with help from the surround. Check it periodically while the cement is setting.

You have nothing to lose except the cost of the cement and your time....and maybe save the cost of a recone.

Good luck...hope this helps.

Rolf
07-24-2007, 02:05 PM
That helps a lot. It is a re-cone. I will see if I can get the glue.

Guido
07-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Rolf,

we will solve it somehow. I mailed you.

macaroonie
07-25-2007, 03:55 PM

Linnie Akvavit HA HA HA:barf:

Rolf
07-26-2007, 12:27 AM
Linnie Akvavit HA HA HA:barf:

:D They (the woofers) have survived that before, so no, I don't think this is the cause.

Rolf
07-30-2007, 01:06 PM
The woofer is now under surgery at "the doctor". hopefully I get it back tomorrow. Don't know if the spider can be glued on again, or if "narcoses" is needed to do a full re-cone.

Guido
08-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Let me know.

Rolf
08-02-2007, 12:55 PM
It needs a re-cone. The voice coil is also damaged. Not sure when I get it back. I hope next week.

Rolf
08-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Got the message that the "doctor" is finished with the re-cone of my 2235H today. It should arrive by mail tomorrow or the day after.

It will surly be nice to play some music again.