PDA

View Full Version : Dinner in England!!

richluvsound
07-19-2007, 12:05 PM
European Members On Full Alert !!!!

So, saturday the 15th September 2007 it is . There will be a gathering of the European members at my place .I better alert the local barmaids
, shower, ---- and shave .
more details to follow.
Rich

:applaud:

JBL 4645
07-19-2007, 01:38 PM

So, saturday the 15th September 2007 it is . There will be a gathering of the European members at my place .I better alert the local barmaids
more details to follow.
Rich

Rich

Hmm. I’d like to attend and maybe buy a few JBL components Control 5 ring a bell? Is it near anywhere famous in London?:)

Ian Mackenzie
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM

more details to follow.
Rich

Sounds like fun:).

Looking forward it.

Ian

richluvsound
07-19-2007, 04:08 PM
Anyway, 10 mins from Victoria - 7 mins from London Bridge by train. Liz lives round the corner, but she probably has Bose stuff . Besides her place is fallen apart- She wants money from me to get the Brickies in. Cheeky cow !!

Peckham , SE15 4ST. GOOGLE EARTH

Waterloo ain't far either. Maybe jump on a train from Bournemouth and pick up the control 5's . !!! Waterloo is pretty good for the Paris crew too !
Maybe even Merlin can live up to his name -sake and magic his TAD arse over here. And as for Guido, well those Pass labs need to be tested on some real speakers. Infact he only needs one-way tickets for mono blocks.

But , seriously. Its great being part this forum and it would be an honour to open my home to all that can make it.

Rich:D

JBL 4645
07-20-2007, 03:26 AM
LOL, oh that’s made my day Bose be buggered:D. So you’re not far from the West End, sounds good. Oh I prefer the coach to the train, I’ll see how things are next week I might be heading that way if I can get my health:( together and scrape up a few pounds for the trip to the Empire, and if your not too tied up I’ll buy those Control 5 please:).

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 04:28 AM
LOL, oh that’s made my day Bose be buggered:D. So you’re not far from the West End, sounds good. Oh I prefer the coach to the train, I’ll see how things are next week I might be heading that way if I can get my health:( together and scrape up a few pounds for the trip to the Empire, and if your not too tied up I’ll buy those Control 5 please:).

If you can make it up you can have the control 5 stuff . I have a few vintage B&O bit also. And some KEF !

Rich

JBL 4645
07-20-2007, 04:39 AM
If you can make it up you can have the control 5 stuff . I have a few vintage B&O bit also. And some KEF !

Rich

Morning Rich,:) you’re giving it away? Whoa that’s a first well I’m touched and pleased, sure if I can knuckle down and say next week I like to get up to the West End as that would be first stop for DIE HARD and after I have finished there as I would like to speak to the chief projectionist and get some pictures, then I’ll hitch a ride over to your home.

I let you know for certain when I have a coach ticket which would be one day before depart from Bournemouth, cross your fingers or should that be the other way around I’ll cross my fingers touch wood knock, knock.:)

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 06:31 AM
use the money to travel.
I can't see me using them !
Rich

Andyoz
07-20-2007, 06:47 AM
Guys,

I will be checking out Rich's "pad" this weekend....

If it doesn't come up to my high expectations (as regards JBL goodies) I will let you guys know...better start cleaning-up Rich :D

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Andy,

Wish I'd kept the 4435's now. I know you had serious feelings for those horns.

All I can offer is 4345's and some 4333a's awaiting Guido's magic and perhaps few single malts to relax the tympanic nerves.

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
07-20-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi Andy,

As I recall you have that concert. Enjoy.

boputnam
07-20-2007, 06:41 PM
So, saturday the 15th September 2007 it is . There will be a gathering of the European members at my place .Ugh!

I depart LHR that morning! :banghead: Dang-it.
We'll just have to try and squeeze-in a smaller session, earlier in September? I'd love to see those 4345's in-person... :yes:

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Bo,

that dinner invite is always open. You can come over or we could just meet up in town.

I should have got the 2435's by then. May even have a couple of 1500al's kicking about. I can get my hands on some Jeff Rowland's and the belcanto stuff.

Man , we could have a meeting of the 4345 club. Valves VS class A:applaud:
Rich

JBL 4645
07-20-2007, 11:24 PM
Rich,

What is the bit of gear on the right of your picture?

Ian

I think it says Proteus? It’s a little hard to tell with the camera angle and the flash glair reflection.

http://www.thommessen.de/english/products/proteussw60/proteus_sw_60.htm (http://www.thommessen.de/english/products/proteussw60/proteus_sw_60.htm)

richluvsound
07-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi Ian,

DAC , a valve Cdp ,

I have a friend that just brings this stuff around for me to play with. He loves the 45's . I think he just likes to hear the kit with them . I don't complain.
It's a great way for me to audition stuff. We are talking serious $$$ as you know being a Pass Labs man. I can't go wrong really. I bought a musical fidelity Nu Vista pre off him , hardly used. I can keep trading up without loosing a penny in depreciation. I'm just hoping he'll knock on the door with a 250.5 under his arm oneday. He knows I'm not going to buy anything major untill I've spent sometime a pass amp of some kind. The new Aleph J seems to be getting top marks.

Rich

boputnam
07-21-2007, 08:08 AM
I think Bo is a QSC man.Yup! :yes: Been plenty happy with their "musicality" and have not found need to go tube (for the highs).

But, "never say never..." ;)

Guido
07-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Hey Rich!

I'll be there. Is this High End stuff Meeting at the same time?

richluvsound
07-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi Guido,

this is'nt the same weekend as the hifi show , but I can arrange to have some goodies here to play with.

Rich

addict
07-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Richard, i'd love to come. If you want me to bring some Pass labs I will see what I can do.

The CD player is the Audion DAC CD player with a pair of bendix 6900 valves. Only a few were made. The amplifier is the English Valve Amplifiers Proteus. 20W triode Push pull. It seems to drive Richards Speakers with ease.

I can bring a few other bits round no problem. Its around the times of the shows. It looks I'm supplying 3 rooms with equipment and deming at the audiojumble with a couple of stalls.

How are the New Genalex Gold lion Valves doing.

richluvsound
07-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Hi Paul,

Its just a bit of fun with some good people who share a passion for JBL and the means to drive them. I think it could start some really interesting debates
between folks that have a lot off valuable experience .Especially for a relative novice such as myself. Who knows what whacky ideas could pop up !

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
07-22-2007, 06:32 PM
Sounds very elegant,

As they say it doesn't glow it don't go.

Ian

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Bloody hell, those 45's are BIG! (and I'm about 5"10' so you get the picture)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g240/andyoz/PeterGabriel022modded.jpg

You really have to stand next to them to get a true impression of their bulk. The last time I was that intimidated by a speaker was seeing Everest's at an 80's hifi show.

They sound big too. The dynamics are totally different to my 250Ti's. Even at low-levels, they just take off on any transient - definitely not a speaker you can just site in front of and ignore. I would have liked to listen to them all day (also with a solid state amp driving those 18's) but after the concert the night before, my head/brain wasn't working very well.

So Rich, thanks a lot!, my bloody 250's seems so pissweak now. I think I may have to own something out of the 43xx series one day - with Guido's CC x-overs though.

Anyway, now I can show the wife that photo and tell her to be thankful JBL didn't make more 45's for us to buy.

p.s. I think Rich's room is just right for these, lovely high ceiling and plenty of volume. Ian, I imagine you must feel like these could put you through the back wall in your room if you cranked them?!?!?

Ian Mackenzie
07-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Nice post Andy,

What a picture.

They are stunning!

Rich has done an oustanding job.

He's got them up off the floor too...well done.

Hey Andy,

Sounds like it was fun hearing them go....

Your right. It feels like they can knock the rear wall out no effort but I have never experienced any audible discomfort. The sound just gets bigger and bigger.I confess I've never really had the nerve to run them fully wide open. That would be way above realistic levels in my situation.

Ian

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 02:57 AM
Yes, it wasn't so much the overall height of the cabinets, it's more the width that I wasn't expecting. An 18" woofer is SO much bigger than a wee 14".

Ian Mackenzie
07-23-2007, 03:49 AM
I am look at those stands.

Well ol be..............

I'd hate to be riding on the subway tonight!.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

(well I thought it was funny!)

Hoerninger
07-23-2007, 04:50 AM
I am look at those stands.
.....:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Andyoz,

you should show these stands the wife (although she would recognize them first I presume).
These I-shaped bones are absolutely not necessary for JBLs :no: (but for the safety of Ian).
Then she will accept any 45ers :p .
(maybe other stands are appropriate :D )

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 05:15 AM
If I owned a pair I would definitely have them off the ground a bit like Rich. To quote Greg Timbers himself ..."I notice from many of the pictures that the system is elevated on blocks. It is very good to get the 2245 up off of the floor to minimize midbass fatness."

Whenever I see pictures of 4345's, 4350's sitting directly on the floor, it just doesn't look right to me.

Also, Rich's room is about 4.5 metres high and the 4345's look "right" sitting on the railways lines in that particular sized space :)

Ian Mackenzie
07-23-2007, 05:26 AM
They are beautiful.:)

I'm going to have to re build or re finish mine sometime.

I agree the stands and careful placement are more than an option if you want the best out of them without resorting to electronic wizzardry

Ian

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 05:28 AM
Ian, do you have the CC x-overs as well? The driver integration was excellent on Rich's pair.

I can see me going that way with the 250Ti's one day.

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 05:42 AM
Are the diaphragms dusted in these?

Ian

I think it depends on what Rich is making in the workshop on any particular day :D

Ian Mackenzie
07-23-2007, 05:52 AM
:rotfl::wasnt-me:
I think it depends on what Rich is making in the workshop on any particular day :D

I thought that was quite clever!!

Aquaplas I meant.

Andyoz
07-23-2007, 06:10 AM
I know, I know...

From what Rich told me the answer is NO.

JBL 4645
07-23-2007, 08:15 AM
The world you’re looking for is Monstrosity! Yeah they sure look like the real deal.:applaud:

richluvsound
07-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I can see you guy's have be having fun while I've been out trying earn the money for the dusting (aquaplas) They need it for sure, they lose shape at mid to high volume. I'm off to Guido's next week . He has some for me . I think I can airbrush the stuff. I will need some help though.
I might even take my airbrush to Germany and aquaplas the 2421 dia that Guido has put in the 2420 for me . Where's The G man (Giskard) when you need him ? I have bought some 2435 that are the way from the US of A . I just have mod the extra pair of 2307's I have.

Anyway , as for the beautiful speaker stands . I will clad them in something more be-fitting their role. Especially since it was confirmed that Jo will be playing that carbon fibre cello through them :D

Rich

Fangio
07-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Wow, those '45s look impressive. The pic makes your invitation really tempting Rich. :) I'd love to hear them.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and check out these supercheap airlines that bring you over to GB for 69€ something or so. Berlin-London – it's been a while that I was there – I guess one has to STAND the whole flight, like in an overcrowded subway.. :blink:

richluvsound
07-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Fangio,

Your very welcome, the more the merrier.

for 69 euro's you can't go wrong.

are you coming to HP's bash ?

Fangio
07-23-2007, 10:50 AM
Fangio, Your very welcome, ... are you coming to HP's bash ?

Thanks. Have to do some recherche.

I plan to, not sure yet. 75:25

Ian Mackenzie
07-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Where's The G man (Giskard) when you need him ?

Rich

Your not Robinson Cruseo an that point. He hasn't visited the forums or responded to emails for several weeks.

Robh3606
07-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I think I can airbrush the stuff. I will need some help though.

It's kinda heavy and you can't thin it too much or it falls apart. I am waiting for a course nozzle to show up for my airbrush to give it a whirl. Let me know how it goes for you.

Rob:)

richluvsound
07-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Ian,

as long as he's ok . Thats the most important thing. Maybe he's just locked himself away to catch up . I understand he still works full-time. And with everything he does for folks around here it can't be bloody easy structuring his time.

Rich

caladois
07-24-2007, 08:53 AM
Wow, those '45s look impressive. The pic makes your invitation really tempting Rich. :) I'd love to hear them.

Maybe I should bite the bullet and check out these supercheap airlines that bring you over to GB for 69€ something or so. Berlin-London – it's been a while that I was there – I guess one has to STAND the whole flight, like in an overcrowded subway.. :blink:

I was thinking this way too !!!!

Andyoz
07-24-2007, 09:12 AM
Hey Rich...you're gonna need a bigger couch man :D

richluvsound
07-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Hey Andy,

remember the caravan at the back gate:D

Rich

richluvsound
07-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi Folks ,

if your serious about come across, over or under the channel then I can make enquiries about local hotels and post some info.

Rich

JBL 4645
07-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Rich

Mate get ready because I’ll be in London tomorrow for DIE HARD at the EMPIRE! :applaud:

I should be at Victory station at around 6am, now I would like to stop over at you’re place but the distance from Victory to you’re place time distance in miles I need to know?

My first destination is the EMPIRE as I haven’t seen heard or felt a THX event at the Empire since 1994 so tomorrow is BIG JBL THX EMPIRE DEAL!!

I hope to catch at least two shows of DIE HARD in THX and hopefully speck to the on-site projectionist and get a lot I mean a lot of digital pictures of the grand ole Empire.

Last couch leaves at 11.30pm so I must be at Victory at 11.00pm no later. So I have at least 17 hours.

Ian Mackenzie
07-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Rich,

Nice to talk to you this morning.

This event will be a lot of fun. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Ian

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 06:51 AM
Rich

Mate get ready because I’ll be in London tomorrow for DIE HARD at the EMPIRE! :applaud:

I should be at Victory station at around 6am, now I would like to stop over at you’re place but the distance from Victory to you’re place time distance in miles I need to know?

My first destination is the EMPIRE as I haven’t seen heard or felt a THX event at the Empire since 1994 so tomorrow is BIG JBL THX EMPIRE DEAL!!

I hope to catch at least two shows of DIE HARD in THX and hopefully speck to the on-site projectionist and get a lot I mean a lot of digital pictures of the grand ole Empire.

Last couch leaves at 11.30pm so I must be at Victory at 11.00pm no later. So I have at least 17 hours.
i'll be home from 5.30 pm. you can get to my place in 10 mins from victoria. £ 2.50 . call me 02073588268 or 07930320119

Rich

JBL 4645
07-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Rich

Afternoon, well that leaves me plenty of time after I’ve fished seeing DIE HARD.

Edit
Well I might as well edit that last text to £2.50 on the tube is way to go at getting around the smoke, cheers mate.

Rich pm home address as I’d be going around in circles:D on the tube without a location?

richluvsound
07-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Ian ,

if the banter this morning was anything to go by. We are gonna fun.

Rich

JBL 4645
07-26-2007, 07:08 PM
Well I’ve made it back safely via the coach ride a long 2hours 55 minutes. A big thanks to Rich and the pizza a drink and spare JBL and Tannoy parts I’m sure they’re come in handy many thanks.:)

I’m going to get some kip now as I’m done in knackered shattered buggered and my feet feel like they’ve walked 5 miles or so around London.:D

Oh I took lots of pictures that I will sort out later today and then post them on to separate threads a brief few here and a load on the Empire cinema JBL thread, anyway time to get some kip see you all in a jiffy.:)

JBL 4645
08-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Rich

Hello there, well I might be popping up to London soon this month to catch “The Bourne Ultimatum” at the Empire Leicester square, this would however put huge strain on funding to make it up for September but if I make a promise to come along I always keep it. I’m not sure or positive about the date yet, thou Empire says August 17th Friday. I’ll check in to the morning to see if this, a premiere showing or whether the film will be showing nationally on a later date.

caladois
08-19-2007, 06:38 AM
So, what's on the menu ?

starters K2 ....

main courses 4550....

cheese 4345....

Dessert and water of life ? Everest 2 ...

Serioulsy, I would like some more details, may be to decided me

Regards Stéphane

richluvsound
08-19-2007, 06:56 AM
Hi Stephane,

the menu thus far.

4345's cooked to perfection.

New look 4333a ,

various K2 ingredients.

Some special goodies ( hopefully) provided by the Valve Chef, alias Addict

Above all else, JBL whizz kids from around the globe . Oh yes, and a Guy from Windsor who's dish shall remain nameless,for the time being atleast.

Your Host, Rich

richluvsound
08-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Its too early in the year. Your'll have to come in october. On the other hand ,it has been un-seasonably cool lately. The rugby world cup is on while your here. Even more reason to go to the pub .:applaud:Girls, beer and sweaty jockstraps.

Hofmannhp
08-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Hi Rich,

the banner additions for the british meeting are ready to be send to Guido.

HP

Guido
08-20-2007, 03:43 AM
HP, I'll take the banner to London. It's too late to ship it with regular mail to USA so that Ian can pick it up. Express is too expensive for my taste.

Ian Mackenzie
08-20-2007, 06:12 AM
I might be able to work something out

Ian

Hofmannhp
08-20-2007, 06:26 AM
I might be able to work something out

Ian

Hi Ian,

what's your idea?.....our "Meeting" banner is now in Guido's home and he will get the additions for the "England" Meeting by post.
Guido will be in London for the 15th Sep. and take it with him.
You have to know, that we all made our signature on the top of this banner.....
I also made an addition for US meetings, but there is only a short time to send it.

HP

richluvsound
08-20-2007, 10:45 AM
It's my fault this has become a little bit of a nightmare. I forgot the banner in Guido's car when I left Germany. It will be a shame if the US crew won't get to sign it .

We will just have to have a world gathering :applaud:

On a more positive note ..... Fangio confirmed today. It will be cosy;)

Rich

rs237
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Its too early in the year. Your'll have to come in october. On the other hand ,it has been un-seasonably cool lately. The rugby world cup is on while your here. Even more reason to go to the pub .:applaud:Girls, beer and sweaty jockstraps.

hello Rich,

I would come also gladly. Some German members come for me translated can there my English are very bad. Or I worry about beer and girls need one no words there.

regards
juergen

richluvsound
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
[QUOTE=rs237;

beer and girls

No worries Juergen.
There is know better place in the world to practice your English. It would be great to meet you . I think you better bring a sleeping bag though. I live in converted Warehouse so there is plenty of room. You can snuggle up with Guido and practice your romantic English.Heck, I really don't mind how many of you show up.

Rich

rs237
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
beer and girls

No worries Juergen.
There is know better place in the world to practice your English. It would be great to meet you . I think you better bring a sleeping bag though. I live in converted Warehouse so there is plenty of room. You can snuggle up with Guido and practice your romantic English.Heck, I really don't mind how many of you show up.

Rich

Rich,

we see ourselves.

regards
juergen

Guido
08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
It's my fault this has become a little bit of a nightmare. I forgot the banner in Guido's car when I left Germany. It will be a shame if the US crew won't get to sign it .

Nobodys fault!

The banner will come to USA. At the moment it stays in Europe as we have another meeting here in Europe. As soon as there is a meeting in USA we can send it.
I don't understand this recent banner hype :(

Guido
08-20-2007, 03:48 PM
You can snuggle up with Guido and practice your romantic English.

Huh!
I won't share the futon :p

berlinhifi
08-20-2007, 03:58 PM

more details to follow.
Rich

man, you bet I'd like to join in. haven't been to england since my london wedding in '98. ITS A CRYING SHAME. I am drowning in work and chances are little to dance with local barmaids at your place..... darius

addict
08-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Don't worry Rich,

I'll be there with the electronics.

Hows the system sounding without Proteus?

I have a few SS amps as well as a few Valve amps.

cheers

Paul

rs237
08-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Huh!
I won't share the futon :p

ooh , I am so sorry:D

juergen

richluvsound
08-22-2007, 05:42 AM
I thought I should offer some tips on getting to my place:

From Stanstead take the express to Liverpool Street station, Change to the Circle Line-yellow (underground) go one stop to Moorgate, change to Northern Line-black(underground) ,go two stops to London Bridge. From here you need the a train to Peckham Rye ( overland) I live 1 min from this station.

Could someone translate this to German Please and Post it for Juergen.

Danke ! Rich

rs237
08-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Thanks rich,

I understood.

my best friend , babelfish online-translater :)

John
08-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I thought I should offer some tips on getting to my place:

From Stanstead take the express to Liverpool Street station, Change to the Circle Line-yellow (underground) go one stop to Moorgate, change to Northern Line-black(underground) ,go two stops to London Bridge. From here you need the a train to Peckham Rye ( overland) I live 1 min from this station.

Could someone translate this to German Please and Post it for Juergen.

Danke ! Rich

Hi Rich Why not post a google satellite picture with a "X" marking the spot of the JBL get togeather!!!;)

hjames
08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Hi Rich Why not post a google satellite picture with a "X" marking the spot of the JBL get togeather!!!;)
Aww c'mon - I need to know where to snag all that swag - better details, please!

richluvsound
08-23-2007, 01:44 AM
Hi Guys,

after a little prompting.
The unit to left of the pin is my studio. I make all kinds of things and once in a while it still gets used for its original purpose "PAINTING" . However since meeting you lot it has become more of a speaker factory.:D

I included some examples of my painting.

"All Things To All Men" 6'x7'. oil and resin on Linen.2005

"Crippled Boy" 4'x5'. oil and resin on panel. 2000

John
08-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Nice, just need a picture of the front door and a plane ticket?;)

Hey Rich Nice paintings!!!

Ian Mackenzie
08-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Hey Rich,

Mind if I use that crane to get my bearings..should be a good view from up there!

Hofmannhp
08-23-2007, 04:13 AM
I included some examples of my painting.
"All Things To All Men" 6'x7'. oil and resin on Linen.2005
"Crippled Boy" 4'x5'. oil and resin on panel. 2000

Hi Rich,

very impressive paintings......really.
I would like to see more of this stuff from you. (PM)
Maybe that some day I have the bucks.....for a small one.

BTW: I sent Guido the attachements with Velcro on the back for the banner.

HP

I wish you all a nice meeting and pls don't forget to post pics here.

boputnam
08-24-2007, 10:35 AM
very impressive paintings......really.
I would like to see more of this stuff from you. :yes: :applaud:

boputnam
08-24-2007, 10:55 AM
...first, local view with street names, and second in the larger scheme of things (center of second image).

Ian Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 05:11 AM
Where's the nearest bottle shop?

richluvsound
08-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Ian ,

not to worry mate ! I have organised the a local nurse to come see you once a day for a sponge bath and to top your I.V. up.;)

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 06:01 AM
Ah,

The old the plasma port in the sponge bath trick!

The Yanks need only think of Pamela Anderson.......;)

richluvsound
08-27-2007, 06:14 AM
I forgot you start you vacation in the silicone valley !

Tommy Lee said there was an echo down there !:applaud:

Do me a favour .... nip up to Northridge a chase those H4338's anything to get Guido smiling again.!!!!!!

Ian Mackenzie
08-27-2007, 06:28 AM
I would say Northridge is off limits for foreigners.

Rich, I can tell you a funny joke about echo's but not on the forums..will save it !

richluvsound
09-10-2007, 10:12 AM
You Guy's

what the hell have you done to him ? He looks nothing like his photographs !!!:D

Rich

caladois
09-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Dear Rich,

I won't be able to join you this time. It's a shame, but I have an excuse : pick up three revised amps in JMF Audio factory.

http://perso.orange.fr/elsi-ing/audio/

Have a good time in Windsor...

Stephane

Titanium Dome
09-10-2007, 11:27 AM
You Guy's

what the hell have you done to him ? He looks nothing like his photographs !!!:D

Rich

That's what I thought, too, when I finally fetched him at LAX. You know, I never checked his ID, so I can't really vouch that it's him.

Perhaps an identity verification is in order. Perhaps his brain was swapped into a stranger somewhere in the Tardis.

Ian Mackenzie
09-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes,

I made it..spent the afternoon easing into some nice English ale's and working on Rich's 4345's.

They are really flying now.......

Ian

Andyoz
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Ummm, what have you done to them exactly??

Ian Mackenzie
09-11-2007, 01:20 AM
The silly pommie bastard had the right hand mid L pad was wired out of phase.(1 - 3 were inverted)

Surprised you did not notice......Andy.

The result was the right mid was well down in level and made the horns sound aggressive.

Easy to do with so many wires.

We then moved the right enclosure closer to the wall to equal the left and adjusted the toe in.

After some adjustment of the L Pads they are sound much smoooooother.

Earlier in the afternoon we talked about compression drivers, horn dispersion and related issues over a few beers.

The idea was to get the system to a baseline level of operation then decide if it warrants any changes to diaphragms etc.

I suggested bi amping and dusting the diaphragms as potential improvements.

Guido has done a nice job of the crossovers.

:)

Ian

Andyoz
09-11-2007, 02:00 AM
Surprised you did not notice......Andy.

haha, I wasn't in top form the nght I was there (sore head). I have nevr heard a 43xx before and was too busy enjoying the dynamics. I would have liked to see Rich's face when you told him he was "out of phase".

If I'd had more time, I'd like to have heard them bi-amped with Rich's Bryston on the bottom end. Even with the amp Rich was using the (valves) I thought the bottom end was great. Who knows what a good SS would do.

I had my 250's cranked up yesterday with my Bryston 4B. I have never known an amp that can crab hold of a (big) speaker and just drive away no matter what the volume, especially the bottom end..

richluvsound
09-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Hey Guy's,

could I please get an idea of who plans to be at the London get-together?

How much boooooooze do I need ? , How much food and how much bedding ?

Can ask that you bring a sleeping bag. I can sleep 4 Ok. Anymore than that and it could really cozy - I dont want you fighting over the duvet.......:D

TIA ,Rich

rs237
09-11-2007, 03:24 AM
rich,

I come with sleeping bag:).

regards
juergen

ps.I do not have yet your exact address, please PM

Fangio
09-11-2007, 04:06 AM
Didn't you mention an additional trailer in the backyard? :D

richluvsound
09-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Has anyone seen Ian ......? He's gone walk'a'bout . I cant imagine what could be more important than tweeking my 45's. He said he was going to get some milk and coffee......... He comes back 6 hours later stinking of cheap french perfume and 12 pints of bitter.:banghead:

Andyoz
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Don't let him near the 4345's until he sobers up dude or else the phase issue could be the least of your worries.

Ahhh, London currupts another Ozzie soul....I remember it well

Ian Mackenzie
09-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Have no fear I slept in front of the darlings and will remain failthful.....

Rich took me on tour around town today. Walked the walk and saw the sights

We are home tonight brewing some acquaplas.

Ian:)

Guido
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey Richard!

I booked the Futon half a year in advance :D

I plan to be in Heathrow Friday 13:25. If I need to jump on the next flight it will be 15:50. I try to be in time ;)
I'll leave Sunday 17:05 (or 18:05).

Will call you soon. Don't let the aussie drink all our beer.
:cheers: Ian, looking forward to meet you.
Let's talk PASS

Ian Mackenzie
09-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi Guido,

We can't stop giggling.....

Ian

Guido
09-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Giggling? Huh!

And the joke is on whom :p

macaroonie
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Well I hope you guys all have a grand time once you find Ricks place.
I would love to be there but time and motion do not compute plus I have veneering to learn and do. I noticed the pub put out a nice welcome notice for the Lansing convention.:p

richluvsound
09-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Attention all European members.

free aquaplas service for one weekend only. Fast reliable sevice :D

Ian is forgiven his foilbles. He's really got these puppies sorted out. I can stop chasing my tail and pulling what little hair I have left out. A few minor position changes and a dash of fairy dust and the sound has improved 100%.

The 2425 is playing by the rules : they went smoother and richer.

He says that he refuses anymore expertise though without the reward of an additional French barmaid.:D

Rich

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Well, if Ian didn't get enough Long Islands on Long Island, head NW of London to Rickmansworth to the Long Island exchange. I set the Long Island Iced Tea consumption record there during a football fan pub crawl through Rickmansworth, just prior to standing on a table and singing "The Star Spangled Banner" followed by "God Bless the Queen/My Country 'Tis of Thee" in a strangely ecumenical medley.

No French barmaids, but some pretty salty women there.

richluvsound
09-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Doug,

It made the nine o'clock news here. Now thanks to you BOSE OWNERS are welcome , but JBLer's are bloody barred:p

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Doug,

It made the nine o'clock news here. Now thanks to you BOSE OWNERS are welcome , but JBLer's are bloody barred:p

Gor! When I was in there, this guy was sitting at a table nearby:

Guido
09-12-2007, 03:44 AM
Attention all European members.

free aquaplas service for one weekend only. Fast reliable sevice :D

Ian says that he refuses anymore expertise though without the reward of an additional French barmaid.:D

Rich

Ok I'll bring a bunch of dias. While you'll dust them I'll hunt barmaids with Ian:D OK?
You lazy man had the Aquaplas laying around for some weeks. You should have used it ;)

rs237
09-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Ok I'll bring a bunch of dias. While you'll dust them I'll hunt barmaids with Ian:D OK?

I have the impression it all also only because of the Barmaids come:D

juergen

Ian Mackenzie
09-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Guido,

I think we will do that anyway......:D

We were painting dias until 2.00am..Rich is getting better at it.

Rolf Harris would be impressed. Where's my four inch brush Mate?

The 2421 dias was the test case.....not so good. I suspect aluminium and older alinco driver had limited HF output so we persisted with the titanium.

Much better..more mellow and refined.

But seriously, there needs to be a propery method documented, its not as easy as it looks.

Ian

Guido
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
The 2421 dias was the test case.....not so good.

Please tell me that this is not true! :spchless:

You didn't mess up the brand new D16R2421????
They cost a fortune :shock:

Ian Mackenzie
09-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Please tell me that this is not true! :spchless:

You didn't mess up the brand new D16R2421????
They cost a fortune :shock:

Hi Guido,

Rich yelled out it came off with a putty knife okay.....

:eek::eek:

Guido
09-12-2007, 11:48 AM
You shocked me :bash:

Testing aquaplassing with brandnew D16R2421. Wow. Cool.

Robh3606
09-12-2007, 12:08 PM
What Aquaplas are you using?? Beige or black??

Rob:)

Guido
09-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Rob, you know it ;)

Robh3606
09-12-2007, 07:40 PM
We made it black.

Using the lamp black paint pigment?? How does it look similar to the diaphram I showed you here?? Do me a favor and add your findings into the aquaplas thread so we have it all in one place. I will delete this so we don't go any further off topic.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=14236

Thanks Rob:applaud:

grumpy
09-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Rich uses a Mac desktop pc.

mic and preamp?

http://www.supermegaultragroovy.com/products/FuzzMeasure/

Fangio
09-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Ian, Rich,

looking forward to meet you guys. :) Will arrive at Stanstet on saturday 10.25, plus ca. 90min to get in town.

Don't have many dias extra for such tests but someone here has enough spare 2420s. Does it make sense to bring them or is titanium mandatory now?

Rich, could do with a PM for exact adress too - or lets phone please.

Andyoz
09-13-2007, 03:11 AM
We went out for dinner last night with one of Rich's lady friends...what a hotty!! And then a night club after..had a set of Tannoy 15 super golds.

Ha, I think I know those speakers...I was there with Rich briefly during when I was over during the day though, not the night).

There were no "hotties" in sight...Rich, have you been holding out on me man!

richluvsound
09-13-2007, 09:28 AM
Andy,

would I hold out on you ?
Cant you have an emergency meeting in London or something this weekend?...... EMERGENCY ROOM TREATMENT maybe !!!!!

Ian's helped me tweek these puppies to a to a "T " "Nuts on a chin" old boy !

Rich

Andyoz
09-13-2007, 09:39 AM
I wish I was there.

I need you to give me the name of that Club we were looking at so I can "make-up" a job and claim the trip as an expense....

How's Ian handling the pints? ...get some Kronenberg 1664 into him if he gets cocky on the drinking front (that'll sort him out).

Andyoz
09-13-2007, 11:21 AM
Ian, you're giving Rich a bad name...I was going to offer him £200 for the 4333A's but I've now reconsidered and have reduced it to £150..:):)

p.s. What do you think of the acoustics in Rich's place. I think they are excellent for something as big as the 4345's, a bit reverberant but in such a large volume you can get away with that. Also, the directional characteristics of the 45's mean that lateral reflections aren't as "hot" as they may be with direct radiator designs.

richluvsound
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
I wish I was there.

I need you to give me the name of that Club we were looking at so I can "make-up" a job and claim the trip as an expense....

How's Ian handling the pints? ...get some Kronenberg 1664 into him if he gets cocky on the drinking front (that'll sort him out).

I have been training him on Tangle Foot , I.P.A and Balevnie 21. I'm building him up to drink it out of the same glass . I was thinking of trying him out on snake -bite before he goes back.:applaud: I'm not so sure though !
I beginning to warm to you Aussies , as long as your not on a cricket field your pretty cool bunch !

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
09-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Ian, you're giving Rich a bad name...I was going to offer him £200 for the 4333A's but I've now reconsidered and have reduced it to £150..:):)

p.s. What do you think of the acoustics in Rich's place. I think they are excellent for something as big as the 4345's, a bit reverberant but in such a large volume you can get away with that. Also, the directional characteristics of the 45's mean that lateral reflections aren't as "hot" as they may be with direct radiator designs.

Andy,

The 2421 dias has had the cotton bud treatment..its good as new.

The 4333 make nice rear prop's for main subject matter.

The fact that they are/will be in future "rare"post should fetch handy a hand sum.

:D

Ian Mackenzie
09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
The gallery.

Andyoz
09-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Rich,

You need to throw a few strobe lights in there to get the complete effect.

Are you guys having a "rave" or something!!!! I thought LSD went out of fashion in London in the 60's...

Ian Mackenzie
09-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Hello everyone.

Its Saturday night here in London.

Myself, Juergen, Florian, George and Rich have had a wonderful time this afternoon and over dinner.

Here are few images.

Ian

Andyoz
09-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I love this photo....there should be an award for the best caption...

I'll start with ...Rich says, "Hey Ian, should the red wire be attached to the positive or negative terminal!!!"

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28204&stc=1&d=1189896340

only kidding Rich..:)

Titanium Dome
09-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I think the caption should read, "Alright then, anyone without a beard gets clubbed upside the head with this drill motor."

Zilch
09-15-2007, 09:32 PM
"HA! They'll never figure it out. I fixed it REAL good!"

richluvsound
09-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Caption should read " Ian pass me that Aussie Snake Oil and leave that French waitress alone":D

Andyoz
09-16-2007, 02:26 AM
or Rich says... how did my car keys get in there...been looking for those for months!!.

p.s. I wouldn't turn my back on that guy with the drill...;)

Hoerninger
09-16-2007, 03:19 AM

No trust? He - Juergen - is the only one showing his face, the others are turning away. :dont-know

Ian Mackenzie
09-16-2007, 03:21 AM
Bye for now.

It was a lot of fun!

Ian

Guido
09-16-2007, 07:30 AM
I'm jealous!

But I really couldn't make it this time.

Will visit you soon Richard

boputnam
09-16-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm jealous!Me, too! And look how nearby I was! Business duties were commanding my timetable. The best I could manage was a local call to Rich... :(

Next time...

rs237
09-16-2007, 11:38 AM
hello,
the beard arrived again well at home at Germany.
Thanks rich for the beautiful time.

regards

juergen

rs237
09-16-2007, 11:44 AM
or Rich says... how did my car keys get in there...been looking for those for months!!.

Andyoz,

there is not a danger. Or have you a few fits for my Ph2 bit into the back.;)

richluvsound
09-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Juergen ,

it really was a pleasure having your company . You are welcome anytime .

Great Chinese too.

Did you want some of that sheet glue to try ? PM me your address and I'll mail you a sample .

Rich

Krunchy
09-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Hi Rich,
Looks like a good time was had by one and all :applaud:
What happened to Mac? I thought for sure he would have made it to the Festivus :D

macaroonie
09-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Growing a beard:p

richluvsound
09-17-2007, 11:38 AM
hairy baw bag ,

2405's on German Ebay.

no affiliation

Rich

Fangio
09-18-2007, 03:59 AM
Rich, LOVED your place, that little old factory hall fully developed to a cosy two-storeyed studio. Let me thank you first for your noble hospitality, hope I can pay back some soon. ;)

London was on display from its best side - sunny (! who'd have thought that), a warm late summer weekend, lots of festivals and 'to see and be seen' events along the Thames - certainly alone worth a trip anytime. A special pleasure to meet Ian also - we had lots to laugh all the time, and what a knowledgeable guy to talk shop with. Whoever didn't make it they missed an awesome meeting. Of course the 4345s were a very good reason also - definitely super well-crafted, a great job and a genuine pleasure to listen to music with, particularly through those 18"s. Rich is an artist in many ways. :yes:

richluvsound
09-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Fangio,

thank you for your kind words. It was a real pleasure showing you some of the sites, (how are the feet?).

London can be a beautiful city indeed; I guess I just take it for granted.

talk soon, Rich;)

Fangio
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Okay, arrival around lunch time, love the unique tube net. UK vehicle industry seems a bit dated though, or at least bizarre - somehow not surprising. :coolness: Rich and I agreed about the last pic - it rather belongs into the Big Horns thread.

Fangio
09-18-2007, 11:01 AM
The location - ceiled by Rich to double the room - beautiful loft, and stunning amount of work in there

Fangio
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Got there just in time for the afternoon session.

Ian, George, Juergen, Rich and a friend preparing, warming up, sorting tunes, and then give the 45s a serious audition.

Fangio
09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
After an excellent dinner in an italian restaurant, the night session. No limits for SPL if desired, friends and neighbours dropped in all the time for a short audition. We couldn't stop until 4 or 5 in the morning. Along the way always answering PMs: iAn.

Titanium Dome
09-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Yowzer! Mac on a Mac. Imagine that. And Fosters to boot!

Ian Mackenzie
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
It was a scream.

Unfortunately Guido and Merlin were unable to attend the Saturday dinner but we made up for them and had numerous, and I mean numerous toast's on their behalf. Perhaps next time in Berlin.

Rich was fantastic, my host, tour guide and buddy. We really had some funny moments and laughs.....Rich is a magnet for the ladies. I worked out his MO. He leave the door open during the day and fires up the JBL's.

They come in like bee's to a honey pot!

I enjoyed meeting George, Florian and Juergen. We all come from different cultures and backgrounds but are bonded by our passion for the JBLs.

Florian has become a 4343 connoisseur by all accounts and Jueregen is tackling a Hartsfield diy project. (If anyone has a horn lense for that system they dont need please pm Jueregen.)

Rich like football.

Here is the rack. Currently in use a Musical Fidelity Nu Vista preamp (beautiful) , a Conscequence CD player model 120 with upgrade, Technics TT and Ortofon cartridge (also shown a Quad Cd player, Nak preamp, Bryston 3B power amp) . No event is complete without BigBen. Interesting numerous Pro DAC clocks use BigBen as a their namesake.

Ian

caladois
09-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Pics are so impressives... Just a question concerning the set up ? Except the 4345 what the electronic rack was compposed with ?
I can see a huge amp... Can you tell us a bit more.

Regards Stephane

richluvsound
09-18-2007, 01:01 PM
in the rack :

Technics 1200 mk 2:)

Quad CDP 2 - CD player , optical pre-amp: barf:Its just a DAC and toslink. Deviod of musicality and warmth

Musical Fidelity Nu Vista pre-amp:applaud:

Consanance CD 120:applaud:

Nakamichi CA 5A 11:D

Bryston :D

BAT VK 6200 (The Monster on the floor):D

SAC 150 class A mono blocks:applaud:

Audion Class A mono blocks . minus 4 tubes that should be here tomorrow.

On the horizon. Aleph 60 mono blocks,:applaud: and a pass crossover:applaud:. And , ofcourse ,The 2 way project with 2435 and 1500al

But, first I need to thin the herd.

I guess I'm doing ok for choice.

Rich

hjames
09-18-2007, 01:09 PM
Looks like a great time was had by all ...

But in the run down of gear, although TiDo clocked the Mac, you forgot the Dalek!!
It exterminates the noise and oversees EVERYTHING!

in the rack :
But, first I need to thin the herd.

I guess I'm doing ok for choice.

Rich

Fangio
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
... And , ofcourse ,The 2 way project with 2435 and 1500al
Oh my, the skills to build such things - I've seen the complexity that goes in there. Maybe you're closer when there will be progress - can't wait to see what you'll use for the finish. :)

richluvsound
09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Looks like a great time was had bad all ...

But in the run down of gear, although TiDo clocked the Mac, you forgot the Dalek!!
It exterminates the noise and oversees EVERYTHING!

the Dalek came looking for the doctor and a Bose convention .So Ian grabbed his sonic screwdriver and cut him down a peg or two !!!!!!

JBL 4645
09-19-2007, 03:28 AM
LOL are those the new JBL horns you’re making now? :D

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28283&stc=1&d=1190138224

caladois
09-19-2007, 04:58 AM
What a good time you seem to had. I wish I come. May be an other time. Last saturday I went to an other French place :

Your JBL DIY project is very interesting. Wait and see.

Ian Mackenzie
09-27-2007, 02:26 PM
I will post some un published images:D of the UK voyage here over the weekend.

Should be entertaining.

I understand there have been some interesting developments since my departure.

Ian

richluvsound
09-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Ian ,

I think my horn issues are sorted :applaud:

Rich

4313B
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Ian ,

I think my horn issues are sorted :applaud:

Rich:hmm:

Ian Mackenzie
09-28-2007, 03:45 AM
Rich,

I agree your horn issue is fixed.

Sounds like you've opened PANDORA'S BOX.....

I'll say one thing, she's a good kisser.

Ian

Titanium Dome
09-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Congratulations.

¡Qué cara hermosa!

richluvsound
09-29-2007, 04:58 AM
Ti,

is that Spanish ? I'm having a hard time getting my tongue around French;) And, thank you MackenZieeeeee ! The Lady has many wonderful talents indeed :D
Rich

Hoerninger
09-29-2007, 05:16 AM
Love-ly thread here.
The speakers tell all about horns. ;)

Anyway - congratulations!
(nice picture)

(Sorry, it is all so public here.)

Titanium Dome
09-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Ti,

is that Spanish ? I'm having a hard time getting my tongue around French;) And, thank you MackenZieeeeee ! The Lady has many wonderful talents indeed :D
Rich

Yes. It's exclamatory Spanish, literally "What a beautiful face!" It sounds much better in Spanish, less rude than shouting it in English.

richluvsound
09-29-2007, 08:05 AM
I think Ian is making mischief. I'm not sure why:( ??? The whole thing was about having fun.... We had many , many laughs. The first of many I hope. We became good friends and got to understand a little about eachothers lives. The thread is called " Dinner In England " It's all tongue-in-cheek. All who enter do so at their own risk !!!!!!

Nuffrespect, Rich

Titanium Dome
09-29-2007, 10:23 AM
Saucy mischief perhaps, but not yet cheeky. :rotfl:

What is truly wonderful is that you got to know each other, so the saucy jibes are simply that. Nothing more. It's a sign of growing camaraderie.

I imagine many of us wish we could recreate Ian's experience and have a great tour of LH members' homes, towns, and systems. What a great time it would be! :yes:

richluvsound
09-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Saucy ! thats our Ian. But ,all in good fun. He certainly knows how to get the 4345's to Purr. It was a real pleasure to meet Ian . He has an incredible amount of knoweldge about this speaker stuff. A humility , sense of fun and perspective that were a godsend. Ian Mackenzie is a very naughty boy indeed.

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
09-29-2007, 01:29 PM
It was on Tuesday I recall that I explained to Rich how correct the 4345 levels with the Sonic screw driver.

When we turned the 4345's back on Rick really jumped with joy. He was once again in love with his music.

It was worth coming all this way just to see that..........

I had a great time in London with Rich.

From the moment we met at Paddington Station I knew it was going to be a hoot. We kind of clicked.

Rich was already thinking up what to call my visit to London on the forums..(were'nt you mate!).......

I will post some images a later today of this wonderful experience.

Ian

Images taken from Southwark and the London Eye.

boputnam
09-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Below, a picture from Ian's 2004 visit - Ian snuggling the barmaiden in La Honda, CA, where we were gigging.

I think we have now determined the true reasons for Ian's worldwide forays...
I'll say one thing, she's a good kisser.:rotfl:

richluvsound
09-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Ian ,

we just went to listern to those Tannoy's a again( Red Seal Monitors) you were right , I was wrong:banghead:. Anyway.... Nah mate, Anne christine missed the 10 incher so we left. She's got taste !!!! But ,kissing an ausie twice threw it all into question for a moment.

Rich

JBL 4645
09-29-2007, 06:13 PM
“Your gonna need a bigger boat.” :rotfl:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28683&stc=1&d=1191109687

JBL 4645
09-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Congratulations.

¡Qué cara hermosa!

"What expensive beautiful"

Titanium Dome
09-29-2007, 07:38 PM
"What expensive beautiful"

Ha ha, maybe as an inference.

cara
I f
1 face: quise darle un beso, pero me torció la cara, I wanted to give her a kiss but she turned her face away
2 (expresión del rostro) puse cara de póquer, I tried to look as if nothing was happening
tiene buena/mala cara, he looks good/bad
tienes cara de circunstancias, you look serious
3 familiar (desfachatez) cheek, nerve: ¡qué cara tienes!, what a cheek you've got!
4 (de un folio, disco) side: está escrito por las dos caras, it's written on both sides
5 (anverso de una moneda) right side: ¿cara o cruz?, heads or tails?

Ian Mackenzie
09-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I should finish editing the London pics tonight and will post then.

I suppose I should summarise with some interesting stats like the number of miles travel, hours slept, beers drank and sexy woman I met!

Meeting 4 other JBL 4345 owners/users was fun. These 4 way systems are either happening or they're not. Come to think of it its a good excuse for an overseas get away. I am even setting up a global tuning service.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
10-01-2007, 02:09 PM
More London sights:

richluvsound
10-01-2007, 02:14 PM
Ian ,

stop holding out , what about this one !!!!!:applaud:

Ian Mackenzie
10-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Rich,

Just when I was trying to maintain some sense of maturity here.....old chap.:)

I was going to post this pic last.

So romantic.....

richluvsound
10-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Ian,

i got carried away, soz :o:. Can we get back to speaker stuff . The new cabs are far more interesting .

Seriously though, you have have got some wonderful shots of London.

Girls come and go but , but the Jbl's are here to stay.:D

Rich

boputnam
10-01-2007, 06:31 PM
So romantic.....She has great taste in cabinets (and cabinet makers)...!! :rotfl:

Nice pics, btw. Looks like Hyde Park, Buckingham Palace and Parliament - you guys were all around where I was holed-up in meetings - at the QEII Conference Centre! Only a few days difference...

:(

Ian Mackenzie
10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
We passed like ships in the night!

There are some more interesting images I'll post tonight.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Here Princess Diana's memorial.

Ian Mackenzie
10-03-2007, 06:08 AM
London is a very interesting and enjoyable city to visit.

Over the course of the week of my stay I made everal trips into London to focus on the Tower of London, Westminster Abby, The Strand, The London Eye and Buckingham Palace.

Ian Mackenzie
10-03-2007, 06:41 AM
Unfortunately I was unable to take photographs inside the palace.

The music room was very impressive and I recommend a tour of Buckingham Palace if you plan to visit London.

No tour of London is complete without a visit to some of its pubs.

Andyoz
10-03-2007, 07:47 AM
No tour of London is complete without a visit to some of its pubs.

London's got nothing on Dublin mate...

Get down to Temple Bar out of the tourist season and there's nothing to match it in the world I think.

Ian Mackenzie
10-03-2007, 08:04 AM
There is a story to these images taken inside the Royal Mews of the Queens carriages.

Prior to leaving I arranged with my sister to contact two close friends Janet and Phillip who work at the Royal Mews and let them know I was coming over. However Janet did not get the message from Phillip that I was coming over so it was a big surprise when I called that I was in London. I went over for dinner on Thursday night. A number of people live and work in the Mews but there is only one Australian.

For several years we provided Janet's Ballet School concerts with JBL sound and we stayed in touch up until Phillip got a job as coachman looking after the Queens carriages about 6 years ago. For anyone who knows anything about the equestrian business Phillip is very well regarded in those circles. A number of people live and work in the Mews but only one Australian family. Janet and Phillip have two daughters, one is studying veterinary science in London.

The insurance premium on the larger carriage is about 1mil pounds apparently. Its fourteen feet high and weigh's 4 tones and is drawn by eight horses. They are on public display. The stables are also located within the Mews.

Ian

Andyoz
10-03-2007, 08:14 AM
My favourite's the Foggy Dew.

There's also one that's so narrow that it's actually physically impossible to fall over drunk (the walls & people hold you up). Great place.

Ian Mackenzie
10-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Andy,

I think you missed my joke!

Dublin sounds like a fun place for an ale.

Ian

caladois
10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
London's got nothing on Dublin mate...

Get down to Temple Bar out of the tourist season and there's nothing to match it in the world I think.

My favorite pub in Dublin :"the Palace Bar". :cheers:

Ian Mackenzie
10-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Rich an I went up to Windsor on Friday and met with Merlin.

The Castle was interesting but let me just say this was experience in itself. There are Englishmen and there Englishman.

Merlin (Michael) is no exception.

Better looking than Richard Geer (a definite likeness) our Merlin is in a class of his own. Black Porsche and a very serious player in the Tad and JBL business. I don't think Merlin buys off reviews, he flys over to places like Japan hear what the fuss is about. I like his style.

We met in town and then went back to hear Merlin's HiFi.

First impressions are important.

I think this HiFi is worth more than my home sez I!

There where some familiar components such as a Passlabs XVR1 active crossover, 1500AL JBL woofers, Tad 4003 drivers , Tad tweeters and a Tad Horn. I did not completely figure out his hifi rack but there were some nice OLT valve amps.

We listened. I was spell bound by the silky midrange, spine tingling highs and the riveting bass dynamics. Very nice indeed...and huge potential.

Rich was right...it was Tadilating!

Our Merlin has been developing his speaker system for a while and is investiging a suitable arrangement for positioning the drivers for optimum listening angle.

Please let us know how it develops. Sorry I don't have a pic.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
10-03-2007, 06:57 PM
Back to London.

Of course we talked about nothing but audio on the way home.

The next day we would see the arrival of our friends from far a field.

While we all have our own JBL journey it was a unique opportunity to share our experiences and our passion.

The JBL Sound.

By this stage I had heard 3 pairs of 4345's on this trip. Bo's updated vintage 45's, Rick fine reproductions and Rich's diy darlings. While I am certain there are no doubt better loudspeakers available today it would require an all or nothing approach and a serious amount of cash make the jump worthwhile.

Ian

richluvsound
10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Ian,

that weekend was a lot of fun.It gets pretty lonely here with this Tannoy mob. I stand proud,firm and defiant in the face woofer envy and the subsequent jibes. :D
Our MYSTIC MERLIN is in the land of the rising sun as we speak .... I wonder what he'll come back with this time ???

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
10-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Rich,

Sounds like you need watering!

Ian

Andyoz
10-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Andy,

I think you missed my joke!

Yep, went right over my head...what did I miss exactly.:)

Ian Mackenzie
10-04-2007, 03:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Mountbatten,_1st_Earl_Mountbatten_of_Burma

I am not sure if they found his gum boots or not!

Andyoz
10-04-2007, 03:43 PM
What most people don't remember is that this happended on the same day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrenpoint_ambush

I live in Warrenpoint. Hard to imagine it happened in this scenic place.

richluvsound
10-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Andy ,

that hit a deep nerve mate !

Rich

Andyoz
10-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I know, and it was never reported back in Aust from what I remember. Rich, I hope no one you know was linked to that terrible event? :o:

Let's get off the subject!!!!!!!

merlin
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Our MYSTIC MERLIN is in the land of the rising sun as we speak .... I wonder what he'll come back with this time ???

Rich

You guys are too kind :D

Here's a little taste of the local audio scene. Sorry for the phone picture

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/airwise/JBL4345Tokyo2007.jpg

richluvsound
10-09-2007, 09:57 AM
You guys are too kind :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/airwise/JBL4345Tokyo2007.jpg

Hey, I aint Kind . I'm hoping for an expensive , esoteric present :applaud:

welcome home , post some more pics !

Rich

merlin
10-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Well the new Orb album's worth a listen and not out over here... a copy for you sir. Sadly I couldn't find anyone to ship the Nissan Skyline coupe.

Didn't take many pictures - too busy listening to rather large Westlakes.:D You would love the maid bars Rich.

richluvsound
10-09-2007, 03:08 PM
What, no bloody westlake's for moi........ ? Your forgiven.
the new ORB sounds good. As long as it aint waylon and bloody willie.:blink:

Thats done it I'll be next to get banned now.

Dinner soon Mate !

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
10-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Nice to hear from you Merlin.

Ian

georgebrooke
10-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi,
I seem to have been remiss in not posting the photos of Rich's Day. One of the reasons (I think) was the discussion that I had with Rich. Until I saw what he had been up to my hobby was quietly meandering along, with a tweak here and a tweak there and generally a hobby-approach to improvements. Then I saw Rich's work! Not only self-made, but of the highest quality finish and, of course, sound. Since then I have been reworking my own plans to try to get halfway to that standard. As he is (apparently) leaving the country I might get a bit of peace out of this, but due to the Internet, I doubt it.
Anyway, here are my photos. Rich has got the best combination of workshop and listening room that I have ever come across. The space needed for speakers like the 4545s is considerable and here they could really shine. I was not there just as an observer. Rich needed me to help himself and Ian get the speakers onto an elevated plinth (possibly a pair of railway sleepers?). Anyway, it all worked out fine and it was a really great listening day and an opportunity to meet some new friends. Thanks to all involved

George

merlin
10-14-2007, 04:53 PM
welcome home , post some more pics !

Rich

Karaoke done properly!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/airwise/DSC_3523_JPG-35.jpg

JBL 4645
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Ian

My digital camera really sucks for £50.00 pounds :( and those digital images Ian, I like them, the tone of the light and shadow looks wonderful, focus is sharp, it’s almost like being there.:)

JBL 4645
01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28284&stc=1&d=1190138386

Rich

Do you think the JBL 4345 sound best on a concrete floor, and if so would a customized wooden floor made of timber beams and layered with sheets of MDF over it, make for a good sounding platform for the loudspeakers?

Ian Mackenzie
01-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Its improbably for Rich to know as he has not heard them in another environment as yet.

I was fortunate to have heard them at Bo's , at Rick's and Rich during my breakfast in America tour in September 2007 and at home in the Tardis.

In each instance the rooms were entirely different but I enjoyed each encounter.

I leave to the owners to describe if they wish their impressions in their rooms.

Ian

Edit : The pommie git was more concerned about whether he had it "right" when I was there and it did not take me long to earn my board and keep. Then there was the "british" blooding moaning & constant nagging that went on for days about the midrange until we got artistic span the diaghragms on the turntable with some aquaplas.

JBL 4645
01-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Its improbably for Rich to know as he has not heard them in another environment as yet.

I was fortunate to have heard them at Bo's , at Rick's and Rich during my breakfast in America tour in September 2007 and at home in the Tardis.

In each instance the rooms were entirely different but I enjoyed each encounter.

I leave to the owners to describe if they wish their impressions in their rooms.

Ian

Edit : The pommie git was more concerned about whether he had it "right" when I was there and it did not take me long to earn my board and keep. Then there was the "british" blooding moaning & constant nagging that went on for days about the midrange until we got artistic span the diaghragms on the turntable with some aquaplas.

Ian

Well at any rate I think concrete is a good surface, thanks.:)

Ian Mackenzie
01-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes an no,

Great for sleeping on if you have a crook back and great for a work shop.

But it does not allow the low frequency energy to escape the way a wooden floor does.

Ian

JBL 4645
01-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Yes an no,

Great for sleeping on if you have a crook back and great for a work shop.

But it does not allow the low frequency energy to escape the way a wooden floor does.

Ian

So is concrete are friend or foe for sound?

richluvsound
01-26-2008, 03:10 PM
So is concrete are friend or foe for sound?

Ashley,

concrete in mass is our best friend. If the floor is pre-cast and post-tensioned (SPRUNG FLOOR) need I say more ? 25 mm MDF on the floor , isolated from the floor will absorb the energy . Remember your room is basically an extension of the enclosure . open windows and doors are your ports. If you put the sofa on the MDF floor you will not need so much volume to achieve the same experience .

Please ! someone jump in If I'm talking through my arse

Rich

JBL 4645
01-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Ashley,

concrete in mass is our best friend. If the floor is pre-cast and post-tensioned (SPRUNG FLOOR) need I say more ? 25 mm MDF on the floor , isolated from the floor will absorb the energy . Remember your room is basically an extension of the enclosure . open windows and doors are your ports. If you put the sofa on the MDF floor you will not need so much volume to achieve the same experience .

Please ! someone jump in If I'm talking through my arse

Rich

Rich

That sounds technically correct to me.

Ian Mackenzie
01-27-2008, 12:30 AM

It would help if you knew why you were asking the question here.

I sense you are really trying to relate this to your new flat with your sub.

That being, please realise its a case by case thing and you are best to open a new thread with all the background facts rather than distort this thread with OT noise.

If Andy is watching he would be the best qualified to answer you questions in the appropriate place and context.

Ian

JBL 4645
01-27-2008, 04:09 AM

It would help if you knew why you were asking the question here.

I sense you are really trying to relate this to your new flat with your sub.

That being, please realise its a case by case thing and you are best to open a new thread with all the background facts rather than distort this thread with OT noise.

If Andy is watching he would be the best qualified to answer you questions in the appropriate place and context.

Ian

Ian

No, no, not trying to take this off track. I see that Rich has and I have a common thing, his studio is concrete as noted, and I, also noted the same thing with this new flat.

Hmm, new thread would be interesting along with a simple voting poll; I’ll get on with it. :)