PDA

View Full Version : Foam Re-Edging Kits

bert58
07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
My JBL 2235h are in need of new foam surrounds. I called one of our authorized JBL repair center and was told that JBL does not sell or make new original surrounds and to achieve a proper repair the entire cone and surround which is still available at a cost of $217 plus $70 can. for labor per speaker. I find this really expensive for one and probably unnecessary.
I've hunted the web for replacement surround kits and I'm baffled by what is available out there. Cheap surrounds can go for as low as $2-3 each all the way to $55 for a kit. This last kit's provider advertises that their surrounds will last a lot longer than the 8-15 years. They also claim that their surrounds have the proper compliance (stiffness) as oem specs. What do you gentlemen think? These remarks come from decware.com. Are they viable, or do the cheaper surround kits work just as well. Any good Canadian addresses?
Or do I have to have my kit sent from the USA...

Allanvh5150
07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Hi, Drop Rick Cobb an email. [email protected] he is is Florida. I have use some of his kits and they are perfect. Allan.:)

boputnam
07-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Rick Cobb is a great source for surround kits - they do fit perfect.

Since the spider has likely fatigued too, it is worth considering a factory recone, particularly since the JBL kit is still available. With a recone, you basically have a new transducer (since the ferrite motor will not have de-magnetized much at all - see: The Great Alnico / Ferrite Debate recently updated by Rob).

Allen's advice is sound, and I've done plenty myself with Rick's kits, but whenever a JBL recone kit is available, that's the route to go.

kingjames
07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
I only buy from R. Cobb, the cd he send's you is also a must have for aligning the voice coil.

macaroonie
07-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Me too and I'm over here:applaud:

Andyoz
07-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Me too and I'm over here:applaud:

What do you normally pay to get them to the UK, do they organise shipping at their end?