PDA

View Full Version : The JBL 250, 250TI, & 250TI Jubilee Club

Storm
07-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Hey, why not have a club?

The guys who own the 4345's, do!

Potential benefits of forming a club; sharing technical help, upgrades and the opportunity to communicate with other JBL 250 owners.

So for those members who are currently owners you may wish to register you interest.

This club will remain exclusive to the 250 owners or those currently in the process of building the 250 to JBL specifications.

Through this thread, I look forward to meeting fellow audio heritage members who own these wonderful speakers.

Thank you once again - Greg Timbers, for creating such marvelous speakers!

Below, are my beloved JBL 250TI speakers -- matched with a Nakamichi CA-5AII Pre-Amp & Nakamichi PA-5 Amplifier. My music source: Ipod (over 2K songs, currently in inventory).

The poll is designed for an easy and quick identification on who ones what version of the 250. Just thought owners could come together in one thread instead of rummaging through the countless of threads on this site.

Hope this thread finds us well and wish that we all take away something.

-Storm.

;)

Storm
07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
I just noticed that the poll has two JBL 250s. The second one down will be JBL 250TI.

I tried revising, to no success. If any moderator wants to change it and then delete this post, that is fine with me.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you.

-Storm.

jackgiff
07-17-2007, 07:57 PM
Why not a toothbrush owners club?

Someone help put together the poll, please.

SEAWOLF97
07-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Why not a toothbrush owners club?

Someone help put together the poll, please.

:rotfl:

opimax
07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
I own other JBLs and even other speakers :blink: I am happy reading and posting in the public. Most of what is about the 250s is applicable to the rest of the series too.

You can start a thread the way HJ did about her speakers keeeping facts only. You can start you can stat your own web site on them if you like. I am happy you trying to keep your 250 comments in your own threads

Mark

kingjames
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Storm good idea,bad idea. Good idea that you took the initiative to consider this and bad idea as the 250ti's are ever so relevant in all the other thread's.

IMHO the 250ti's should be left in the open forum as they are referenced quite often, compared to even more,and a classic in it's own right.;)

hjames
07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Storm good idea,bad idea. Good idea that you took the initiative to consider this and bad idea as the 250ti's are ever so relevant in all the other thread's.

IMHO the 250ti's should be left in the open forum as they are referenced quite often, compared to even more,and a classic in it's own right.;)

My humble opinion - it IS a good idea. That shouldn't stop you from talking about them in the open.

I think its a great idea to build a 250s reference thread that talks about the different models of the 250, quotes the Greg Timbers post where he spoke about them, and add in some images and text about what makes them great. Fact driven stuff, not just opinion.

I thought about doing that myself but I just didn't feel comfortable talking them up without having hands on experience and a pair I could open up for pictures. Frankly, I don't own a pair and don't know as much about them as I'd want to, other than the fact that they are one of JBLs top rated models.

Storm
07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
I thought it was a good idea -- especially because I took it from this thread, started by Ian Mackenzie.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10490&highlight=4345

Just trying to gather information on the 250 line all in one place.

Sorry if I failed.

:blah:

-Storm.

Ian Mackenzie
07-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Please don't remind me.

You have a nice setup and what I think would be nice is L250 experiences thread and from there you can gather a bunch of information and images forum members for a reference thread

Titanium Dome
07-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I thought it was a good idea -- especially because I took it from this thread, started by Ian Mackenzie.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10490&highlight=4345

Just trying to gather information on the 250 line all in one place.

Sorry if I failed.

:blah:

-Storm.

Storm, it's only been a day. Some threads take a while to get going, and some never do. You can only post and see what happens.

Some of my threads die after a few posts and some go on for a very long time. I don't take it personally either way.

If a few guys get a little shitty, I just let it rest for a while, then come back to see if there's any residual interest. Sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't.

Posting something here is not the same as speaking direct to someone and having them look you in the face and ignore you. You just need to wait until the right responder comes along and try to engage that type of person. Ignore the rest.

(I try to do that, though not always successfully. Some guys are just... well, I won't let it go there.)

-----------

I guess I consider my L250s, which I got at a fair price, to be fine speakers, but not outstadning by today's standards. The 044-1 tweeters are OK, and that's it. The 108H and LE14H-1 drivers are really nice and still can hold their own. The LE5-11 mid is dated for sure, but still performs well.

I think the 250Ti is a marked improvement. Someday my intention is to upgrade these L250s beyond the 250Ti, and I'm sort of waiting on JBLnsince1959 to get his ass in gear so I can profit from his experience.

Here's a comparison of the tall L250 with an SV1800 to the left, and an L7, L5, and L3 to the right.

Andyoz
07-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah, why not. There seems to be a lot of interest in that particular model as it is getting semi-vintage now I guess.

I am interested in how many owners of the 250 series are on the forum. It's hard to tell really. I have been posting various bits and pieces about my L250 and 250Ti experiences but it tends to get lost unless you are prepared to do some hard searches.

Storm
07-18-2007, 04:44 PM
My point, exactly.

:D

-Storm

Yeah, why not. There seems to be a lot of interest in that particular model as it is getting semi-vintage now I guess.

I am interested in how many owners of the 250 series are on the forum. It's hard to tell really. I have been posting various bits and pieces about my L250 and 250Ti experiences but it tends to get lost unless you are prepared to do some hard searches.

Andyoz
07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Seeing as though the 4345 and 250 series have been mentioned in this thread, here's a link to a post by Greg Timbers where he discusses both systems http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110075&postcount=27

The bit about the 250's reads:

"...Before closing I should comment briefly about the 250 - 4345 comparison. Simply put, I prefer a 250. I like the bass quality of the LE14 woofer. Alway have and always will. The 2245 when used as a dedicated sub is one of the best sounding woofers ever. It has an amazing blend of speed, pitch and punch. So does the 14" but the 18" is better. Unfortunately the 18" dislike for passive networks hurts it more than the 14" is hurt by a passive network. I think the mid and high range on the 250 is smoother and much more open however the 4345 wins by a bunch in terms of effortless dynamic sound. I have made all of the above changes to 250 systems (except for separate amp on UHF) and the improvement is huge. I have not done so on the 4345 but I suspect that that system will benefit from theses changes more than a 250 would. If both systems were tweaked out to about the same level, I suspect it would be very hard to come up with a clear overall winner, but I think I might lean towards the 4345 as having the greater potential."

opimax
07-18-2007, 06:42 PM
I still don't see a need for a "club", organized info is alway good but a club??? Secret hand shakes? Tshirts? being special because you bought something?

Again, I like Heather's thread as a way of collecting the data.

There has been a lot more bandwidth recently about these due to 1) new ownership,and 2) availability of parts and fluctuating prices IMHO

Andy,

Based on that info I would wonder if I should biamp with active XO(tibg XO can do that the original XO can't)?

Mark

Ian Mackenzie
07-18-2007, 10:50 PM
Storm,

I like the prints on the rear wall.

Ian

Storm
07-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks, I like em' too!

;)

-Storm.

Andyoz
07-19-2007, 02:48 AM
Andy,

Based on that info I would wonder if I should biamp with active XO(tibg XO can do that the original XO can't)?

Mark

Mark, I guess it would sound "better" whatever that is. I like the presentation as they are and just don't want to go down that route as you may drive yourself crazy fiddling around with all the settings that an active x-over presents you with.

Another great quote from Greg Timbers in that post I reference earlier:

"Remember that sound and music enjoyment are very personal things and that what makes you happy may or may not please others. Screw them. If you are happy and no one is geting hurt then go for it. No loudspeaker system even approaches real life so there is plenty of room for interpretation."

brudha
07-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Storm, it might be the camera lighting or angle; but, the black cabinets of the Classics don't seem to have the high gloss (piano) as usual. It looks to be more of a flat black. Was the shine toned down somehow?

Storm
07-21-2007, 10:57 AM
My pair - I purchased from a fellow audioheritage member. They were his friends speakers. His friend bought them as teak, but then painted them black. He tried to get to the original teak, but when the guy painted them black, he sanded the teak too much -- ruining it. So, he took the cabinets to his friend and had them professionally spray painted the black they are now.

I love it because I like the black, but with the wood grain under tone -- simply gorgeous!

;)

-Storm.

Storm, it might be the camera lighting or angle; but, the black cabinets of the Classics don't seem to have the high gloss (piano) as usual. It looks to be more of a flat black. Was the shine toned down somehow?

Storm
07-21-2007, 11:32 AM
I am so very frustrated.

I want to add a TV to my setup with my 250TIs, but my standard tube TVs are making the color to black and white.

I have no idea where to go or even why kind of TV to get that won't have this issue.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

-Storm.

hjames
07-21-2007, 12:38 PM
I don't quite understand - I have always had a tube-type TV near my speakers without a problem - maybe you need to spread the speakers out a bit further when you put a TV in the middle ...? Look at my system - maybe 3-4 foot away from the right speaker, but the woofers near the floor are the furthest away (they have the biggest magnets).

How far apart is everything in your system?

I am so very frustrated.

I want to add a TV to my setup with my 250TIs, but my standard tube TVs are making the color to black and white.

I have no idea where to go or even why kind of TV to get that won't have this issue.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

-Storm.

Hoerninger
07-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I am so very frustrated.

Had the same problem some days ago. Try different positions, it is a question of distance between the "strongest" magnet field and the tube. A few inches can make a significant difference.

Audiobeer
07-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Get your drivers away from the CRT TV. You could always go with a Plasma, DLP or LCD!

gerard
07-22-2007, 07:12 AM
Hello

No poll or place to answer for those like me who made 250 clones ?

Gerard

Titanium Dome
07-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Hello

No poll or place to answer for those like me who made 250 clones ?

Gerard

Vraiment une question valide, n'est-ce pas?

The choices in the poll are too limited. This might not even be a complete list:

L250
L250WX
250TI
250TIBQ
250TI Limited Edition
250TI Classic
250TI Jubilee
250 Clones

Andyoz
07-22-2007, 04:59 PM
What's a L250WX.

Not getting much searching the forum. :)

Titanium Dome
07-22-2007, 06:10 PM
The main differences are year of manufacture, price, and finish availability.

L250:
First Manufactured 1982
Last Manufactured 1982
First MSRP $1,300.00
General
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 400 watts continuous, per speaker
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Woofer 14"
Mid-Bass Driver 8"
Midrange Driver 5"
Tweeter 1"
Crossover Frequency(ies) 400Hz, 1.5kHz, 5kHz
Sensitivity 90dB (1 watt/1 meter)

L250WX:
First Manufactured 1983
Last Manufactured 1983
First MSRP $1,500.00
General
Recommended Power Amplifier Range 400 watts continuous, per speaker
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms
Woofer 14"
Mid-Bass Driver 8"
Midrange Driver 5"
Tweeter 1"
Crossover Frequency(ies) 400Hz, 1.5kHz, 5kHz
Sensitivity 90dB (1 watt/1 meter)

sourceoneaudio
07-22-2007, 06:50 PM
My pair - I purchased from a fellow audioheritage member. They were his friends speakers. His friend bought them as teak, but then painted them black. He tried to get to the original teak, but when the guy painted them black, he sanded the teak too much -- ruining it. So, he took the cabinets to his friend and had them professionally spray painted the black they are now.

I love it because I like the black, but with the wood grain under tone -- simply gorgeous!

;)

-Storm.

They were Walnut. Finish color is Semi Gloss Black.

louped garouv
07-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I saw a pair (first pair i've seen) of JBL 250s (no idea what iteration) the other day while picking up a real old Dynakit ST-70 (the dynakit had the cloth wires from the transformers, etc -- I think it was one of the first iterations)

those speakers are very good looking...

I didn't hear them, as the owner had matched up the Dyna i was buying to a pair of L100s....
:(

first time i've seen a bunch of Mac and HK Citation gear as well...

man, that old Mac and Citation gear is quite the sight to behold....

:)

jbl4ever
07-25-2007, 04:00 AM
early Ti250's Serial#00117 & 00118

Primus
05-26-2016, 02:37 AM
I got mine in the later part of 2001. They had been demospeakers at Neby hifi in Oslo. And when the change in the JBL/Harman group appeared, I got mine, at a reasonable price, through a friend. They needed some attention indeed! Only the left one functioned, the woofers had rot, and the high gloss black color, looked grey.:crying:.
But after a few days of attention, spraying the terminals with hifispray, ordering some new woofers and using bottles of car wax - they once again looked astonishing!!

And the sound and the elegance has followed me from then...... Am I addicted to the ti-sound? Yes!!:D:D

Primus
05-26-2016, 04:08 AM

Primus
05-26-2016, 04:10 AM

Primus
05-26-2016, 04:11 AM

BMWCCA
05-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Now that this zombie thread has risen from the grave, can anyone explain the choices in the poll? For instance, I have 250ti in Teak, so what button do I push?? :dont-know:

SEAWOLF97
05-26-2016, 05:50 PM
Now that this zombie thread has risen from the grave, can anyone explain the choices in the poll? For instance, I have 250ti in Teak, so what button do I push?? :dont-know:

read thread post #2

I just noticed that the poll has two JBL 250s. The second one down will be JBL 250TI.

I tried revising, to no success. If any moderator wants to change it and then delete this post, that is fine with me.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you.

-Storm.

Bliss53
09-25-2016, 09:53 PM
I just got a pair of L250 given to me by a long time friend. Some water damage that I can repair. The problem is a dented tweeter. Does anyone have a source for 044-1 tweeter diaphragms?

rdgrimes
09-26-2016, 11:05 AM
I just got a pair of L250 given to me by a long time friend. Some water damage that I can repair. The problem is a dented tweeter. Does anyone have a source for 044-1 tweeter diaphragms?

Most people resort to using a 044 diaphragm. Its not the same color but is identical in every other way.

Bliss53
09-28-2016, 03:54 PM
Most people resort to using a 044 diaphragm. Its not the same color but is identical in every other way.

Thank you for the response. Cam you suggest a source to purchase 044 diaphragms?

Thank you.

rdgrimes
09-28-2016, 07:58 PM
Thank you for the response. Cam you suggest a source to purchase 044 diaphragms?

Thank you.

Buy a couple used 044 tweeters.

MattBishop
12-19-2016, 09:03 PM
I'm in Dallas and I just bought a used pair of 250ti in teak. The 104H are completely gone from both speakers. I found a pair of new, in the box 104H-2 on eBay. Will these sound right and how will this substitution affect the resale value of the 250tis? Also, the grilles are completely gone. I would appreciate advice on restoring these 250s to as close as possible to their original condition and make them available to someone who has the room and financial resources. Where is the best place to advertise these for sale?

jblnut
12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
The 104h-2 is a reasonable substitute and some people might actually prefer it (talking to you Gordon :-). The lack of grilles may or may not be a problem for your buyer so I'm not sure I'd worry about that yet. You can list them for sale here but most of us are pretty well stocked up.

They are tough to ship so you may be looking at a local sale...

jblnut

robcoff
01-16-2017, 04:39 PM
I have had mine for a while now and I truly enjoy them. Replaced the grill cloth and all is good. Previous owner had the woofers refoamed.

srm51555
01-16-2017, 06:28 PM
Good to hear, welcome to the forum!

Philster
02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Hello all,

Picked up my 250s on Craiglist last year, was the first set I have seen in 30 years. Bought them out of a guys garage.
He hooked them up to an old boombox with removable speakers, sounded like crap but I didnt care. Guy was asking 650 gave him 750 to seal the deal. So they needed the woofers refoamed, one of the mid woofers had a hole in it, and the tweeter domes were pushed in and one of the tweeter grilles were missing. Now all the damaged drivers have been repaired, friend of mine used to work at Jbl refoamed the woofers, repaired the 8 inch woofer, and carefully pushed out the titanium domes. Bought some dead 035ti tweeters on ebay to use as parts for the metal grill that was missing. And no have not listened to them yet. Now we are refinishing the cabinets and upgrading the components on the crossovers. Hopefully will have them done by the end of March. Cannot wiat to listen to them! Will be a year in May.

Cheers,
Philster

Siljuholtet
01-07-2022, 06:39 AM
Does anybody know how many of these were made ?

HCSGuy
01-09-2022, 11:58 AM
Does anybody know how many of these were made ?
There is probably no way to find this out. I have never seen a pair in white, so if you have them, post pictures! I would also be very suspicious of a white pair being black originally, and refinished later in white.

Robh3606
01-09-2022, 02:11 PM
There is probably no way to find this out. I have never seen a pair in white, so if you have them, post pictures! I would also be very suspicious of a white pair being black originally, and refinished later in white.

There is a picture in Greg Timbers office and he has a pair of them in white. You can just see them on the edge of the photo's

Rob :)

jblnut
01-12-2022, 11:56 AM
What are those mini-9900s on the desk ????

THOSE are COOL !

jblnut

BMWCCA
01-12-2022, 08:05 PM

THOSE are COOL ! I saw those, too. Would love to hear their story.

Mr. Widget
01-16-2022, 01:49 PM

THOSE are COOL !
I assume they are static appearance models created by/for the industrial design team to sell the design to management.

Widget

srm51555
01-17-2022, 07:10 AM
Cool picture Rob. I wonder if the bookshelf was built in house as well. Almost looks to be the size of a 4350/5 cabinet.

Siljuholtet
02-02-2022, 07:06 AM

They are original white. Bought in Germany. In perfect shape. Have tried to upload pictures but it dont work.

HCSGuy
02-02-2022, 04:57 PM
They are original white. Bought in Germany. In perfect shape. Have tried to upload pictures but it dont work.

Very cool! You could put together a 1980's Miami Vice style sound system; wear your pastel suit, and find some of the old Adcom equipment that was available in white :)

On your pics, you may need to resize them to lower file size - 2-4MP or so.

Siljuholtet
02-03-2022, 02:22 PM
Very cool! You could put together a 1980's Miami Vice style sound system; wear your pastel suit, and find some of the old Adcom equipment that was available in white :)

On your pics, you may need to resize them to lower file size - 2-4MP or so.

The pictures

Odd
02-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Very nice.

The others in the pictures are L100 Euro model?
I've never listened to them.

Siljuholtet
02-03-2022, 03:56 PM
Very nice.

The others in the pictures are L100 Euro model?
I've never listened to them.

Yes, L100 "Euro" or "Tower" or "Made in Denmark". They are very good, a little sharp in the upper area, the woofer is exellent and more precice than the 250`s .Maybe because of the amp , a Sansui AU D11 II.
They are very precise. Cant find another picture of the white ones, are there any others ?

Odd
02-03-2022, 04:12 PM
There is not much information about these Euro variants on the forum here.

A good thread here (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?8694-JBL-L-90).

Siljuholtet
02-04-2022, 10:14 AM
Yes, L100 "Euro" or "Tower" or "Made in Denmark". They are very good, a little sharp in the upper area, the woofer is exellent and more precice than the 250`s .Maybe because of the amp , a Sansui AU D11 II.
They are very precise. Cant find another picture of the white ones, are there any others ?

That I wonder myself. I know this pair is original, and I know they where delivered in white but i have never seen another pair. That is what i try to find out.