PDA

View Full Version : Removing Metal Dustcaps

Longfellowe
07-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I recently acquired a pair of 4311Bs in pretty good condition. The one flaw is that one of the black metal dustcaps on a LE5-10 midrange is pushed in. The speaker itself is in good shape, it just needs a new dustcap. I know a lot of folks just ignore this problem and maintain that it doesn't hurt the sound. Call me obsessive, but I want to fix it.
So how do you get a metal dustcap off without damaging the cone? And, does anybody sell just the caps?
Thanks for any help.....

Allanvh5150
07-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Try dropping Rick Cobb a line at [email protected] . I just got some Aluminum Le5 caps from hime. you can normally just slice off the old cap with a super sharp blade kept paralell to the cone. If you are real carefull you can remove the surround while only very slightly marking the cone. It will be all hidden under the new cap. Otherwise leave it there and glue the new one on top. I was carefull and removed the whole cap from mine and the new caps went in a treat. :)

John
07-17-2007, 09:07 PM
Try dropping Rick Cobb a line at [email protected] . I just got some Aluminum Le5 caps from hime. you can normally just slice off the old cap with a super sharp blade kept paralell to the cone. If you are real carefull you can remove the surround while only very slightly marking the cone. It will be all hidden under the new cap. Otherwise leave it there and glue the new one on top. I was carefull and removed the whole cap from mine and the new caps went in a treat. :)

How much $$$ for the caps???:bouncy:

DavidF
07-17-2007, 09:40 PM
I recently acquired a pair of 4311Bs in pretty good condition. The one flaw is that one of the black metal dustcaps on a LE5-10 midrange is pushed in. The speaker itself is in good shape, it just needs a new dustcap. I know a lot of folks just ignore this problem and maintain that it doesn't hurt the sound. Call me obsessive, but I want to fix it.
So how do you get a metal dustcap off without damaging the cone? And, does anybody sell just the caps?
Thanks for any help.....

I do not try to remove the entire old dome. I use an exacto knife to cut an "x" in the dome center using just enough pressure to puncture and cut. Using needle nose pliers I hold onto one of the ears created by the x pattern to support the cone while cutting away the material in a circle pattern around the glue joint. I leave the glue joint on the cone. So what you are left with is only the outer rim attached to the cone. This provides a centered base to glue down the replacement and the new dome will cover the old piece completely.

Do not handle the dome directly. Try using a piece of tape just attached enough to hold the piece. Do not press the tape on with your finger if possible. Just lay it on top usually works to get a grip. It is very light but very fragile. Make a small glue bead around the old part of the dome. Too much will cause some ooze-out. Place the new dome down right onto the old part still attached. It will fit right down. Use a soft bit of foam shaped to a point to work around the dome to set the glue. Try a dry run before gluing. Once the glue is dry pull off the tape, very gently.

DavidF.

Longfellowe
07-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Thanks very much for the suggestions. I didn't realize that the domes were so thin as to be cut by an Xacto knife. I'll give it a try. Worst case I'll have to have the speaker re-coned.

Thanks again......

oldsoundz
07-18-2007, 08:20 AM
There is a JBL tech at Performance Audio here in Salt Lake who charges me $15.00 per speaker to replace these dust caps. I felt it was a very fair price considering I didn't want to attempt it myself and damage the cone. Guess my hands aren't very steady.

Good luck getting it done. I sympathize with you, because I hate looking at dented dust caps, even if "They still sound the same".

Longfellowe
07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow, Oldz, for $15 bucks I agree with you. I'll see if I can contact them. With shipping I'm probably looking at less than $50. A re-cone resulting from a mistake would cost at least twice that. Thanks for the lead....

brutal
07-18-2007, 04:38 PM

Allanvh5150
07-19-2007, 02:42 AM
I got mine last Friday. I must have got his last 2.:pThey were only a few dollars each. Identical to the originals. Wht do people insist on sticking their fingers in there!

Allan:)