PDA

View Full Version : Robh3606 on Greg Timbers on AlNiCo

Titanium Dome
07-16-2007, 04:58 PM
This is just about the funniest thing I've ever read.

FYI, the new 1500Al used in the S9800 can take continued pulses of 5000 watts and lose no more than 1%. The test can only be done a few times before the coil is destroyed, but the magnetic assembly is totally stable.

:rotfl:

See the whole thing here in the second post:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4031

(I didn't want to spoil the thread with an inane post, so I put it here.)

Robh3606
07-16-2007, 06:58 PM
:hmm: I don't get it?? What's the joke???

Rob:)

Titanium Dome
07-16-2007, 08:43 PM
It's kind of an "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" statement. It'll take 5000W and the magnet will retain most of its strength, but in the process you might destroy the speaker. I just thought that had to be the tongue-in-cheek comment of the year.

If others don't think it's funny, well...what can I say? :dont-know

hjames
07-17-2007, 05:48 AM
It's kind of an "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" statement. It'll take 5000W and the magnet will retain most of its strength, but in the process you might destroy the speaker. I just thought that had to be the tongue-in-cheek comment of the year.

If others don't think it's funny, well...what can I say? :dont-know

nah - its absolutely hilarious ...
.. but its "only an engineer would appreciate" humour tho ...

Damn good magnets, hey?

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Ian Mackenzie
07-17-2007, 06:07 AM
It would be the equivalent of plugging it into an aussie power point (240ac # 7200 watts peak!):D

4313B
07-25-2007, 07:01 AM
This is just about the funniest thing I've ever read.

I don't get it?? What's the joke???
That's Greg. He is witty and engaging, genuinely enjoyable to talk with. Alot of people are boring, especially with respect to mundane subjects like Audio. Greg isn't one of them. I thoroughly enjoy his humor, sarcasm, and bluntness.

edgewound
07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
That's Greg. He is witty and engaging, genuinely enjoyable to talk with. Alot of people are boring, especially with respect to mundane subjects like Audio. Greg isn't one of them. I thoroughly enjoy his humor, sarcasm, and bluntness.

I'll agree there.

I met Greg at the CES show this last January. I've only spoken with him once....but I must say he's the least affected....least arrogant and a very down-to-earth guy. He's a truly breath of fresh air in the snob-filled high end audio world.

Another guy like that is TAD's Andrew Jones...Greg's British counterpart.

I guess when you're good you don't have to be a jerk.

John
07-25-2007, 05:58 PM

:applaud:

boputnam
07-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Another guy like that is TAD's Andrew Jones...... who we too met at CES 2007, and had an indelibly memorable listening session on his progeny, the TAD Reference One.

The extensive samplings involved R-to-R, vinyl, and CD.

Whoa... :spchless:

Fangio
07-26-2007, 02:09 AM
http://www.meta-gizmo.com/tri/aroma.html

;)

RKLee
07-26-2007, 02:19 PM
It's this subtle "dry American humor" that gets me every time.:)

Tom Brennan
07-26-2007, 07:52 PM

On the other hand when you're good you can be a jerk.

My old man (a retired engineer) says some guys are nice guys because they aren't good enough to be pricks.

hjames
07-27-2007, 02:54 AM
On the other hand when you're good you can be a jerk.

My old man (a retired engineer) says some guys are nice guys because they aren't good enough to be pricks.

Some guys cover their lack of knowledge with a gruff exterior so they don't get observed real close ...

Your dad is wrong - or knew the wrong crowd.
I've been around plenty of engineers - frankly, its easy to be a jerk ...
it takes a bit of thought and trouble to be civil ...

Some guys make being nice seem easy because they have lots of practice -
I suspect Greg is in that lot ... and still a good engineer.

... I wish we could change the laws of physics just for you, but ...

JBLnsince1959
07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Some guys cover their lack of knowledge with a gruff exterior so they don't get observed real close ...

it takes a bit of thought and trouble to be civil ..

Some guys make being nice seem easy because they have lots of practice
I suspect Greg is in that lot ... and still a good engineer.

I couldn't agree more....

I grew up in prep/military-school (Randolph-Macon Acd.) and saw just about every type of personality up close.
Anyway, when I was senior we on the senior staff took matters into our hands when "correcting" a first year cadet who had beat on other RATS( first year cadets), we beat him up:p. Col. Wiiliams, the president of the school, call us all in and he said something I'll never forget..

"any idiot can be a jerk or try to solve problems with their most base behaviors......HOWEVER...It takes a strong man to be gentle...."

I guess I'll say it in my own words tho... If the true measure of man is how BIG a jerk he is, then that's a damn small yard stick you're measuring with.....

Just my 2 cents...others may disagree.

Titanium Dome
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM
If the true measure of man is how BIG a jerk he is, then that's a damn small yard stick you're measuring with.....

:rotfl: Good stuff.

Tom Brennan
07-28-2007, 12:14 AM

it takes a bit of thought and trouble to be civil ...

Some guys make being nice seem easy because they have lots of practice

Jesus Christ, it's a wonder anything get's done anymore you guys are so touchy-feely.

Some guys are good and nice. Some guys are good and sons of bitches. And lots of guys are mediocre and nice, that's how they survive, by staying under the radar and being agreeable.

The point, which in your zeal to wag your schoolmarmish finger you missed, was that when you're good you can act any way you want, nice guy or jerk-off.

Me, when I ran work I was usually a nice guy but I'd be a prick if I had to be. It was always most fun being a prick to the people above me.

theophile
07-28-2007, 04:20 AM
Tom,
I think I know what these guys are getting at,and I also appreciate what you are saying.
I used to work in the Operating Theatres of one of the then most prestigious OTs in Australia.This particular set of theatres pioneered the techniques of heart transplants/heart-lung transplants in this country,and there the experienced surgeons,trained other surgeons who would take those newly acqired skills to other hospitals.
The surgeons were the best heart surgeons in the land and were a very easy going,unpretentious bunch.They were in their speciality 'at the top of the heap',but because they were there,they didn't have to go around impressing anybody.Everyone knew what they could do(the sort of stuff most wouldn't take-on),
The doctors who were trying to impress one with their 'importance',were the ones who would have liked to have been held in that regard.:)

MJC
07-28-2007, 06:34 AM
It would seem that this thread has run way off course from where it started, that being the personality, and witt of GT.

JBLnsince1959
07-28-2007, 06:42 AM
It would seem that this thread has run way off course from where it started, that being the personality, and witt of GT.

good observation......:applaud:

Well, It's time for me to light a scented candle, drink my green tea, do a few minutes of Ommmmmmm and go hug the trees outside good morning....

Robh3606
07-28-2007, 06:42 AM

I would have to agree

Rob:banghead:

MJC
07-28-2007, 06:51 AM
good observation......:applaud:

Well, It's time for me to light a scented candle, drink my green tea, do a few minutes of Ommmmmmm and go hug the trees outside good morning....
Yes, good morning, its real early here, not yet 7am.

Titanium Dome
07-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Yes, the thread was started as a bow to some wit and wisdom from Greg Timbers.

Let's take a deep breath, smile, and move back on topic, please. :)