PDA

View Full Version : Decision of Olympus proportion

mbottz
07-15-2007, 02:54 PM
I have a set of C50 single woofer ported Olympus cabinets and a set of C60 Olympus cabinets with 1 woofer and pasive radiator. Each is in the beginning stages of restoration. I have enough components to make one set an S8R and the remaining set I wish to make in to sub woofers.

My first question is this. Which set is more collectable and sounds the best. I certainly do not wish to cut up the most collectable set. The other set will be come the subs.

My second question is can someone help me calculate the port size for the subwoofer based on the olympus cabinet volume using an 18" 2245 woofer. I wish to end up with 2 subwoofers which looks like an Olympus and sounds like a B460. I will be using PVC pipe as my port material so it will be easy to do multiple ports or one large 4" port.

Let me know any measurements you may need for the calculations.

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MB

Zilch
07-15-2007, 03:43 PM
C60 is Sovereign, not Olympus.

C50 single-woofer Olympus was closed-box, not ported. Was that a mod?

They're both 6 cuft, whereas B460 is 8.

I'm suggesting:

A) This is not such a good idea, and,

B) There are better alternatives for using those cabs.... :yes:

mbottz
07-15-2007, 04:52 PM
You are right they are both C50's but one has a single woofer and square port and the other uses a passive radiator. Is the port not original as it sure looks original to me. I am attaching pictures of both baffles.

A. Can you tell me which model is most collectible and sounds the best?

B. Also please offer your suggestions for the spare cabinets. I am open to a good Idea.

Thanks

MB

yggdrasil
07-15-2007, 06:20 PM
S8R's will give you the best price. But then again they will do so as components too.

My guess is that the S8R's have the best potential for sounding great. Since they have a bottom end, and the 075. They sure could do with a crossover upgrade.... I have one planned for mine, but it seems to be somewhere long into the future.

Zilch
07-15-2007, 08:07 PM
You are right they are both C50's but one has a single woofer and square port and the other uses a passive radiator. Is the port not original as it sure looks original to me. I am attaching pictures of both baffles.

A. Can you tell me which model is most collectible and sounds the best?

B. Also please offer your suggestions for the spare cabinets. I am open to a good Idea.

I'd say that port is not original, and thus the box is already messed up as consequence. If you want to use these as subs, consider closing the small openings and installing a 2235H in each cab. Measure the interior dimensions precisely and compute the internal volume. Box modeling software will then tell you the optimum tuning and port dimensions for use as subs. Once the actual volume is known, Giskard may also have some suggestions based upon prior experience.

I have a pair of these tuned per a JBL tech support recommendation, which I have documented here previously. It's probably easier for me to measure the ports than to find the post, tho.

So, my answer is to put S8R in the boxes already set up for the passive radiators. In this case, your concern regarding resale is well-founded.

I'd be making two-ways out of the other cabinets, not subs.... :yes:

mbottz
07-15-2007, 08:19 PM
When figuring cabinet volumes should I figure the volume of the bracing material and subtract it from the box volume?

Thanks

MB

Zilch
07-15-2007, 08:23 PM
When figuring cabinet volumes should I figure the volume of the bracing material and subtract it from the box volume?Ignore the bracing, but not the sloped front....