PDA

View Full Version : A ? for people who have shipped or had speakers shipped to them?

oldsoundz
07-14-2007, 07:09 PM
I recently had a potential buyer of some speakers tell me that he bought another pair of like speakers, and that 1 of the 6 drivers is this 3 way set did not survive the trip. No damage to the cabinets and packaging was sufficient.

I question this happening and would like input from other members. Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Either shipping out or having them shipped in.

Audiobeer
07-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Very unlikely. I have had speakers shipped that were dropped hard enough that the baskets cracked the front baffle but did not damage the driver. I have had some speakers shipped ant the foam disenegrated from rot on the way to me. :banghead:

Zilch
07-14-2007, 08:50 PM
I have had drivers shipped to me with slipped magnets.

"Musta happened in shipping...."

Closer examination of the auction photos revealed the undisclosed defect was there all along.

Had to file with Paypal to force a refund, and got my first neg for added pleasure.... :(

Gary L
07-15-2007, 06:38 AM
I've had many good and bad experiences.

If you buy or sell an Altec horn and driver then ship it with the driver removed from the horn!

Model 15s with the plastic bent horns and heavy 802 drivers attached don't travel well either, horn flange can crack or break especially if the speaker is laid on it's back.

I have shipped a pair of model 19s from NY to TX Palletized and properly packed for the trip with Forward air and they arrived in perfect condition and at pretty reasonable rates and transit time.

My guess is that 75% of all shipping damage is due either to poor packing or is not shipping damage at all and just a lie from a bad seller looking to unload what he knows is bad.

Gary

JBLRaiser
07-15-2007, 08:08 AM
the JBL company that outlines packing materials, shipping procedures, impact studies, etc. Just curious if this was an area JBL has documentation of and the possible problems and solutions they experienced over their many years in the business of shipping their products..

brutal
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM
I am so frustrated right now with the terrible and careless packaging people use it makes me sick. I just received a set of 044 tweeters that although the seller was quite ingenious in the packing method, didn't think it all the way through. He zip tied 2 of three mounting tangs to the bottom of a Tupperware container. 2 of 3 creates a stress point and one of the containers cracked in shipping and the dome cover mesh suffered. Thankfully, the dome was not damaged. He also did not even think to add a little paper/wadding/bubble just in case and they were in a small box just big enough to hold the containers with no extra padding. To top it all off, the inside of one of the Tupperware lids was still greasy from whatever vile food item was once in it. Gross. :biting:

Three other recent shipments, one a Yamaha preamp, the other 2 old EQ's were just thrown in a box with large busted up pieces of stryro. So sad. :banghead:

SEAWOLF97
07-15-2007, 01:42 PM
when I ship speaker pairs , I cut 1 inch pieces of closed cell foam for each screw mounting hole , bore a hole thru each foam , then run a cable tie thru the back mounting hole on one speaker, then the foam , then the matching hole on the 2nd speaker. This way they are face to face securely with an inch of foam between them. Then wrap the pair in a wad of bubble wrap. Have NEVER had any damaged in transit. Most buyers compliment the packaging. :applaud:

JBLRaiser
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
when I ship speaker pairs , I cut 1 inch pieces of closed cell foam for each screw mounting hole , bore a hole thru each foam , then run a cable tie thru the back mounting hole on one speaker, then the foam , then the matching hole on the 2nd speaker. This way they are face to face securely with an inch of foam between them. Then wrap the pair in a wad of bubble wrap. Have NEVER had any damaged in transit. Most buyers compliment the packaging. :applaud:

aren't you special.:D Much better avatar you have there. That guy with the camera was scary.

brutal
07-15-2007, 02:07 PM
need a circular "standoff" of sorts to prevent damage.

00Robin
07-15-2007, 02:49 PM
ummm,I know I am not little miss know it all by ANY standards,but when I shipped my old Altecs to Oklahoma,I used the lined up screwhole technique with lots of bubble wrap and then and then built a crate so that the speakers actually floated in suspension while shipping. It was a drag to do ,but the man who bought them was really happy with all the trouble I went to.

SEAWOLF97
07-15-2007, 04:45 PM
That is the best method, but the meshed or highly domed drivers
need a circular "standoff" of sorts to prevent damage. .

on high domed ones, I use a double thickness of foam . cable tied together, they move as 1 unit and never contact.