PDA

View Full Version : Les Paul and the Iconic

Don McRitchie
07-11-2007, 07:41 PM
For some time, we have had a picture on our site of Les Paul from the 40's working in his studio. Hanging from the wall is his monitor - a Lansing Manufacturing Iconic (http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/lmco/iconic.htm).

http://www.audioheritage.org/images/lmco/photos/products/iconic/les-paul-iconic.jpg

Tonight, PBS aired the first run of a documentary on Les Paul on American Masters. This documentary gives the background of the above picture. His studio is actually the garage of the first house he lived in when he moved to Los Angeles. In another segment, Les takes an employee from the Smithonian on a tour of his collection of vintage gear, some of which is intended to be donated to that museum. I always wondered if Les Paul still has that Iconic. Now I know.

Don McRitchie
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
He also has an Altec Lansing 820 (far right in first picture, top left in second).

boputnam
07-11-2007, 09:12 PM
In another segment, Les takes an employee from the Smithonian on a tour of his collection of vintage gear, some of which is intended to be donated to that museum. What an incredible assortment of legendary gear, in the care of a legend...

:applaud:

Steve Schell
07-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Don, as you know I have had that picture of Les Paul and his Iconic on my kitchen wall for years. They showed a close up of it with excellent resolution; you could see the cheesecloth on the rear panel of the Iconic through the bass reflex port, illuminated by the camera flash.

Last night I nearly flew out of my chair when I saw that Iconic in his room of piled up stuff. I'm not sure it is the same one as he had on the wall in his Hollywood garage, as this one had been painted a light color, is missing the metal nameplate and has handles on the side. Could be the same one though, as it has been 58 years since that picture was taken.

It was also cool to see that he has an Altec 820. I couldn't get a good enough look at it to see which version it is.

For those that didn't see this American Masters episode, it was a very well done 1 1/2 hour tribute to Les Paul. I'm so glad that they made it while he is still with us. It will probably be in heavy rotation on PBS for awhile. The DVD can be ordered by calling 800 336-1917.

BMWCCA
07-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. It was a great show. For those who missed it, you can go to this link: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/database/paul_l_stub.html
and click on the "check local listings" button for repeats in your area. (I'd list the link itself but don't need my zip-code cookie to confuse others!).

louped garouv
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
I recorded it, but haven't yet watched it......

neat-o

I just knew it would be worthwile viewing when i saw the TV listing.....

confirmed now...

:)

John
08-31-2007, 09:30 PM
The DVD is on sale as of yesterday for $11.99 at BEST BUY. This is a sale price down from $16.99. Lots of extras that are really fantastic.:D

By the way this was in the USA. Not sure if they have them in Canada:(