PDA

View Full Version : JBL 122A

ecl86
07-11-2007, 03:29 AM
I am shipping a couple JBL 122A speakers to a friend and not sure what is the proper way to pack them. The foam surround stick up higher than the frame. I normally bolt 2 speakers together for ease of shipping and protect the cones at the same time; though with these, i am not sure how to pack them without ruining the surround. I thought about mount each of them on a piece of plywood but can't do that neither due to the higher up foam surround. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

John
07-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Bolt them togeather and wrap compleatly with stretch wrap. Then line a box with at least two inch's of solid foam for a tight fit around the 2 woofers.:blah:

grumpy
07-11-2007, 10:19 AM
perhaps cutting a hole in a board inserted between them before bolting together would help.
-grumpy

johnaec
07-11-2007, 10:48 AM
perhaps cutting a hole in a board inserted between them before bolting together would help.
-grumpyI agree. Get a piece of plywood about 1/2" thick and cut a speaker opening big enough to clear the foam surrounds, but tight enough to fit the bolt holes, and mount the speakers facing each other, with the plywood between. Then, be SURE it's supported solidly in the shipping box!

John

Andreas
07-11-2007, 12:30 PM
I have been facing the same problem when shipping my 128H and PR300 (both from L150) to get them refoamed. The new foam "stands out" and will be damaged badly when you bold the two speakers face to face. I have done some trials and ended up with some plywood ring (carbon is NOT strong enough !) which covers just the metal frame and does NOT touch the foam. For shipment I have used a wooden box (well excepted by the forwarder). See the pics attached.

Andreas

doyall
07-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Put enough washers on the bolts between the speakers so they will not make contact with each other, then wrap, pack, etc.

John W
07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Cut the tube on an ordinary plastic pen into 4 sections using a utility knife. Then bolt the two together using these sections as a sleeve. The outside of the pen casing fits inside the mounting hole recesses just right and leaves plenty of space for a #10 bolt.;)

07-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Cut the tube on an ordinary plastic pen into 4 sections using a utility knife. Then bolt the two together using these sections as a sleeve. The outside of the pen casing fits inside the mounting hole recesses just right and leaves plenty of space for a #10 bolt.;)

I'd be afraid of finding little bits of plastic all over after seeing how some boxes arrived here. The bolts will hold, but I'd use metal sleeves if I was to need spacers, although a pair of passive radiators might be OK with no magnet weight to worry about. I LIKE the wooden box best!:applaud:

Plastic zip ties can work in place of bolts, but they NEED to be the wide ones. If they are NOT hard to push through the mounting holes, they're too small! Use the same number as the speaker has mounting holes...

Wanna see some pics of a pair of 2123's that some yahoo shipped with only two skinny zip ties? :barf:(The first pair I bought from the same seller were held together with four wide ones and survived. The third, replacement pair were bolted.)

speakerdave
07-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Generally I'm against bolting drivers together because it doubles the force of impacts, and there will be impacts. I received a pair of 2225's bolted together once and one of the struts of one was broken (of course the rest of the packing job was horrible; this package had some styrofoam peanuts, some wadded-up newspaper and some old nylons too).

I have not always done this, but I like to put each driver in its own box with rigid padding on all sides and the driver held firmly in place laterally by a heavy cardboard collar fitted around the magnet structure and folded and lapped at the insides of the box or padding. By this means the lip and frame do not absorb lateral shocks under the momentum of the magnet structure. This basically replicates what is done by manufacturers. If the cone is irreplaceable I will take extra precautions to protect it, like a couple of layers of heavy cardboard or one layer of very thin plywood.

I like the wooden crate too, but I really think the packing should protect and provide shock absorbtion as well, and unfortunately the wooden crate will transmit all the shock to the drivers. Magnets can be dislodged.

Assume that while in the hands of UPS (and maybe others as well) packages will be thrown and dropped. I believe heavy boxes are even more likely to be dropped rather than eased all the way down to the floor or other surface.--another reason for not putting pairs of heavy woofers (15," 18" and some 12"--2202, e.g.) in one box.

David

ecl86
07-15-2007, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciated your help on this.