PDA

View Full Version : Solen Inductors - Where To Buy?

Uncle Paul
07-07-2007, 12:07 PM
I'd like to use Solen inductors in my 3145 network, but the ones I need aren't stocked by PartsExpress, PartsConnexion, or Percy Audio.

I can order through Solen, but would need to give them my Social Security Number for the duty requirements.

Does anybody know of a US or duty free source that carries a large variety of Solens that won't require me to disclose my SSN?

grumpy
07-07-2007, 03:39 PM
madisound used to sell them...

(madisound.com)

Uncle Paul
07-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks, Grumpy. I checked them out and they only have the 14 ga standard. PartsConnexion has 12 ga and 14 ga standard. Parts Express has some Jantzen inductors I could use that have the correct values and DCRs for all but the 1.8 mH inductor. They have a 15 ga standard 1.8 mH with a DCR of 0.42, which I'm sure will work just fine.

If I can't locate the Solen parts somewhere else, I'll go ahead and use the Jantzens. I don't think it will make any difference. Substituting the caps would be a very different story. Fortunately they are much easier to obtain.

I do have an email out to Solen requesting more information about the useage of the SSN. I've also sent an email to PartsConnexion to see if they are willing to get the parts for me as well.

The design calls for the following (Biamp circuit only):

Hepta Litz 14 ga 1.8 mH 0.46 DCR
Standard 20 ga 0.62 mH 0.54 DCR
Standard 18 ga 0.27 mH 0.54 DCR
Standard 20 ga 0.16 mH (unwound to 0.10 mH) 0.24 DCR

Titan100
07-07-2007, 07:53 PM
I am located in Quebec. I have often done business with Solen. They are very flexible in their transactions and very honest. I have never heard of such a thing that US customers must give their SSN number in order to order parts from them. That's confidential personal information. They don't need it. It sound weird. Be sure to talk or contact the right people at Solen. It sounds like someone is trying to scam you!

grumpy
07-07-2007, 09:07 PM
a thought... (not to push Madisound) but if they are still selling Solen, I would
be a bit surprised if they couldn't special order off-the-shelf Solen parts... as
opposed to what's just shown on a web site. -grumpy

Requiring SSN for order? I'd be more likely to send my left lug nut first.
:screwy:

Uncle Paul
07-07-2007, 09:07 PM
I have asked in email for clarification, but the requirement is listed on their web page: http://www.solen.ca/

Click on Orders and scroll down about 3/4 of the way. I don't think that Solen is attempting to do anything wrong. If I'm providing this info myself to customs, then I don't have a problem with that. My only concern is if I'm expected to give this info to Solen for them to give to customs. I'll give an update next week when they have had a chance to reply to my message. I want to make sure that I have this correct and don't want to spread misinformation.

U.S.A. ORDERS

U.S. Custom Requirements:
Companies must provide their Income Revenue Service Number and individuals must provide their Social Security Number .

John
07-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Ship the parts to me and I will foward them to you.:)

Ian Mackenzie
07-08-2007, 01:57 AM
Uncle Paul,

You have mail

Ian

Uncle Paul
07-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Here is what Solen had to say:

"You are not required to provide us with your social security number if you
wish your order to be shipped by mail.

Social security numbers are only a requirement for items ship via courier.

It is not retain in our data base, however it does appear as a 9 digit tax
number on your invoice and other customs documents."

Also, PartsConnexion is not only willing to get them, but at a discount from retail :)