PDA

View Full Version : Packard Bell amp for consideration

Fangio
07-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Hi all,

thought I'd share this home made tube amp that I've had here recently for a quick test, in my bi-amp setup with the 4343s for the MF/HF/UHF part. Would like to hear a bit about it - options to use or some background from the tube knowledgeables here, is anyone familiar with that stuff.

It sounds very good to my ears and surprisingly outperformed the solid state power amps in my current setup - a very rich and warm sound particularly through the horns, very detailed. Its somehow cool although the finish seems to leave a bit to be desired. As you can see its labeled Packard Bell and using a EL84, thats pretty much all I know about it. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't that one of those console amps that I've read about over at AK, and it seems these get more and more appreciation on the market lately?

Last not least, in case I'd get over the look and wanted to buy it as an improvement for the use described above, I'd like to learn a bit about the worth - where do such things range in connoisseurs eyes.

So, in short what do we have here? As always thanks in advance for any input.

Chas
07-06-2007, 08:14 AM
I am not familiar with this exact amp, but I have spent many years with vintage and home brew tube equipment. EL84's are very nice, sweet sounding tubes if you can keep them within their power capabilities. You have probably noticed that they do drive your 4343 top end quite nicely up to reasonable levels.

Even though it would alter the sound character somewhat, I would highly recommend you change out all the capacitors, including the electrolytic filters, since they would be pretty tired after 40 years or so. Also, I would verify that the resistors are still within spec.

The output transformers look like typical, economical (i.e. narrow bandwidth) devices for the period if you were to measure them on a test bench. But, many people prefer their sound this way. It can be very pleasant, though somewhat low resolution compared to others.

I hope the above 2 cents helps.
Charles.

Fangio
07-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Interesting to know about the output transformers Chas, thanks. I believe it was revised already, at least partially but will keep in mind to verify that.

Steve Schell
07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Fangio, welcome to the wonderful world of tube amplification. My introduction came years ago via a Curtis Mathes stereo amp from a console. It used single ended 6BQ5 outputs as I recall. Yours is a little fancier with higher output power using the push pull 6BQ5 outputs, though some listeners prefer single ended amps. In any case, isn't it a revelation how much closer to real an inexpensive old tube amp can sound after a lifetime of exposure to solid state stuff?

I haven't kept up on the prices of units like yours. They used to be available all over the place at swap meets for $5 or $10, but I doubt that is the case anymore. Searching around on ebay is a good way to get an idea of current prices.

Fangio
07-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Steve, thats great - have hoped you would chime in here, thanks a lot. Always a pleasure to get your carefully worded expert opinion.

I felt the same - and know already that route won't be considerably less expensive than solid state amps, in the long run. But - the combination of tubes and horns is indeed very pleasant, imho.

As for this amp, I'm afraid I got it loaned actually with the ulterior motive to hook me.. ;) We'll see.

James_Bond
02-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Did you have to adjust the power supply to make it work as a stand alone unit, without the external tuner and preamp hooked up?
I have the same unit and rebuilt it but having a hum and distortion problem .
I also have the Sams photo facts diagrams for the whole console.

Regards

Fangio
02-24-2011, 12:50 AM
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121746

check out this thread over at AK. You might want to add your questions to it, or start your own one in the tube audio section. Some really knowledgeable folks around there, you will probably get better informed feedback and/or suggestions from other owners how to proceed.

Good luck.

Wagner
02-24-2011, 07:23 AM
The output transformers look like typical, economical (i.e. narrow bandwidth) devices for the period if you were to measure them on a test bench. But, many people prefer their sound this way. It can be very pleasant, though somewhat low resolution compared to others.

Not necessarily so.

Thomas

Krunchy
02-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi Fangio

What Steve said, and, I would also consider changing the EL84s if you do keep it. I have a couple of small tube amps and I am quite fond of the wonderful sound they reproduce.
I also use one to drive the top end of my 4345s, they are just a lot of fun & sound great. That said I know there are other members here far more knowledgable on the subject than myself & I am sure they will chime in.
I do like the tube sound for sure, it seems like you do too, I guess it comes down to how much your friend is asking for the unit.

Its somehow cool although the finish seems to leave a bit to be desired.
Its a little homely looking but I like that, it has a lot of character, as long as it sounds good thats all that matters :)

Let us know if you do decide to keep it & enjoy in the meantime.

Fangio
02-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Thanks Krunchy. :) The posting you quoted is from 2007. I don't have this amp anymore, and I think I have made some progress in exploring the world of tube amplification since then.

Krunchy
02-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Recent activity got the better of me, but I am glad to hear that you've been enjoying the world of tubes. :)