PDA

View Full Version : JBL L-112 Century II Loudspeakers

Mark4321a
07-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Hello everyone,
I have several questions regarding my possible purchase of a pair of JBL L-112 loudspeakers. I appreciate any and all responses.
1. What questions should I ask the seller?
2. What is a reasonable amount to pay? I understand condition is a factor here

I think that this covers my main areas of concern. However, if anyone has any additional thoughts regarding my possible transaction I would love to here what you have to say.

Let me thank everyone in advance for any and all responses.

VR
Mark

jpevrard92
07-01-2007, 11:56 AM
As the 112s are 25 years old and more, you may have some problems.
- The components on the network ( condensers ).
- The 044 is hard to find and the D8R044 spare part is obsolete ( I'm looking for one since a few weeks and I can't get it...By the way, if a seller read us...Thanks ;) )
- The 128H might have to be refoam.
And keep in mind that you'd better use a very powerful amp
to get the great sound you attempt to.
But if you go on and purchase a pair of L112s, you will enjoy one of the best JBL product !!

Storm
07-01-2007, 12:00 PM
But if you go on and purchase a pair of L112s, you will enjoy one of the best JBL product !!

Aside from the JBL 250TI's, of course.

;)

-Storm.

richluvsound
07-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Storm,

I guess your pretty happy with the 250i's then. Perhaps you could describe the experience. I have never heard them.

Rich

brutal
07-01-2007, 01:25 PM
They like lots of amp. I'm running a pair of Yamaha M-80 (250WPC non-bridged) in bridge mode (via a C-80 bridging capable preamp). They take everything the amps can dish out, including looping in an EQ and DBX-3BX DS via the C-80.

1. driver condition, don't accept anything with mitfingerpoken disease.
2. cabinet condition. stains, deep gouges, etc. are unacceptable.
3. foilcals intact?
4. clean or scratchy LPADSs?
5. original plastic twist posts or replacement 5-way gold binding posts?
6. any other re-work?
7. make sure they're a MIRRORED pair, lefty and righty.

Fred Sanford
07-01-2007, 07:11 PM
1. driver condition, don't accept anything with mitfingerpoken disease.

The sign on my studio's control room door:

Alles Touristen und Non-technischen Lookens Peepers!

Das Machine control is nicht fur Gerfingerpoken und Mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy Schnappen der Spriggenwork, Blownfuse, und Poppencorken mit Spitzensparken. Der Machine is Diggen by Experten only. Is nicht fur Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen. Das Rubberneken Sightseenen Keepen das Cottonpicken Hands in das Pockets. So Relaxen und Watchen das Blinkenlight.

duaneage
07-01-2007, 07:38 PM
The L-112 is essentially the home version of the 4411 studio monitor with a vertical arrangement of teh drivers. The crossover network is different, somewhat simpler than the 4411. The 128H 12 inch driver is one of the best there is in that size, bass is very good. The 044 tweeters can be problematic with several problems. The coating on the dome can come off, the drivers may have lowered output or need alignment. The midrange is the LE 5-9 and is quite good, although pricey these days.

I've never been one to worry about cabinets since I can build my own and have. The grilles are a item that can fail, if they need replacing figure 150 for a new pair.

BMWCCA
07-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I've owned a pair of L112s since new probably twenty years ago. What speakers don't like more power? That being said, I've run these with an old Crown D150 (Series Zero, the one with no faceplate) most of their lives, and a lot of that time with a Mac C-20 tube preamp. They sounded great with just that 75-90 watts of power. I'm sure they'll sound even better with the PS-400 I'm using with my 4412A's, but I've really never noticed a deficiency in them with the small Crown. In fact the bass was so intense I had to move them off the floor about 4" (I guess that's why JBL calls them bookshelf speakers).

I've had zero problems with them over two decades, other than the surround deterioration, so check the condition of the surrounds and hope that they've not been played much with severely deteriorated surrounds or even stored upright with the surrounds missing completely. Otherwise, you should be fine. I suspect most of the problems with the 044 have come from bad amps. I've never had a problem with them on the L112 or the L150As but I got so paranoid from listening to everyone on this site coupled with not knowing what I'd ever do without the L112s that I bought a pair of 044s to keep as spares, just in case. I surmise if they're working now and you don't feed them crap amps, they'll work just fine for many years to come.

Just don't let your fourth post be the one in which you tell us you're selling them or parting them out to make a profit. :no:

Rusnzha
07-03-2007, 12:32 AM
The midrange on the L112 is the LE5-12.

Hofmannhp
07-03-2007, 03:52 AM
The sign on my studio's control room door:

Alles Touristen und Non-technischen Lookens Peepers!

Das Machine control is nicht fur Gerfingerpoken und Mittengrabben. Oderwise is easy Schnappen der Spriggenwork, Blownfuse, und Poppencorken mit Spitzensparken. Der Machine is Diggen by Experten only. Is nicht fur Gerverken by das Dumnkopfen. Das Rubberneken Sightseenen Keepen das Cottonpicken Hands in das Pockets. So Relaxen und Watchen das Blinkenlight.

John, what's this ????? I cannot read or understand it...

Does it mean: When the red light flashes, don't come in

HP

brutal
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM
The midrange on the L112 is the LE5-12.