PDA

View Full Version : Parasound's new jc 2 preamp

MJC
06-30-2007, 08:30 AM
I just got a card in the mail from Parasound, showing their new, Ultra-premium stereo preamp. I assume I got the notice as I bought a Parasound THX amp 5 years ago.
Its got a long list of features. But @ $4000, if I were to spend that kind of cash, I might prefer a Mac.

http://www.parasound.com/halo/jc2.phphttp://www.parasound.com/img/halo/jc2_back_panel_photo_600.jpg

Mr. Widget
06-30-2007, 11:12 AM
But @ $4000, if I were to spend that kind of cash, I might prefer a Mac.You might prefer the Mac, but I'd bet the Parasound sounds better. The John Curl designed Halo stuff is excellent... even if it doesn't come from upstate New York.

Widget

MJC
06-30-2007, 12:08 PM
You might prefer the Mac, but I'd bet the Parasound sounds better. The John Curl designed Halo stuff is excellent... even if it doesn't come from upstate New York.
Widget
I've heard some of the Halo gear, which all had a steep price. Which is why I bought 30 year old Citation preamp/amp, this past winter, to get good sound w/o spending way too much.

Storm
06-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I've heard some of the Halo gear, which all had a steep price. Which is why I bought 30 year old Citation preamp/amp, this past winter, to get good sound w/o spending way too much.

You should try a Nakamichi Preamp. For less than $500.00, you can't go wrong.

Wow, for $4K --- that is what I spent on my CA5, PA5 and JBL 250TI speakers. I feel MUCH better, but even that still does not help explain it to my other half. He thinks the audio thing is nuts, but oh well.

;)

-Storm.

hjames
06-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Wow, for $4K --- that is what I spent on my CA5, PA5 and JBL 250TI speakers. I feel MUCH better, but even that still does not help explain it to my other half. He thinks the audio thing is nuts, but oh well.

;)

-Storm.

He's right, of course. If you can't HEAR the difference you should never spend that kind of money.

Ian Mackenzie
07-01-2007, 05:32 AM
http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2007/011307parasound/

Even if you can hear the difference would you spend that much on that particular brand.

I would prefer something with a bit more long term dollar value like a MAC.

Maron Horonzakz
07-04-2007, 06:21 AM
You cant hear the difference for that kind of money....Is like saying you cant see the difference between a picassio print and the origional million dollar painting......Your paying for John Curls preamp expertese...one of the best in the industry. As the saying goes,,, "But then again pearls before swine";)

Mr. Widget
07-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Even if you can hear the difference...Reading Ian's link I found this quote quite interesting...

"I can show you six areas in the JC 2 where I can change parts that will change the sound but not change the measurements," Richard told me. Sound, rather than measurements, was thus considered as the ultimate test of the design’s success.

I am not a scientist or even an EE so I have never considered myself as an expert, but I have discovered that it is remarkable how component changes etc. can affect the perceived sound where it is difficult or impossible to measure those changes.... and conversely, when dealing with speakers you can tweak a speaker system's frequency response and yet it still sounds like "that" system where a different system with a similar frequency response has an entirely different character.

Sorry for veering off topic... but in discussing the JC 2 preamp, I think most of us would find that it is an awesome sounding unit... primarily because it was designed to be listened to and not designed to be measured.

Widget

MJC
07-04-2007, 12:23 PM

;)

-Storm.
Counting shipping I paid just over $500 for both the Citation 11 preamp and Citation 19 power amp. that combo is far superior to anything else I've ever had connected to my L212s.

So my chances of spending $4k for a stereo preamp is about zero.
On the other hand I might spend $3100 for a Lexicon RV-8 receiver(refurb) or $5k for Lexicon 12(from upgrade program)for the HT.

Ian Mackenzie
07-04-2007, 04:03 PM
While the L250 is quite good system would you be justified in spending that in a preamp not to mention your source and power amp?

Ian Mackenzie
07-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Widget,

There is a cool thread on diyaudio where they talk about the Blow Torch design in depth ( J Curl).

It was designed way out beyond the edge and was more akin to an RF preamplifer in the way it had to be constructed. Even the boards were special to keep it stable.

In those circumstances I have no doubt subtle parts changes would be apparent.:)

Of a minimalist but also excellent execution is the Pass Labs X2.5 preampifier. (this is by no means the top model)

The active gain stage is SM technology and the volume control is also SM ladder attenuation controlled by a micro processor. They say the volume control is a significant aspect in the purity of the signal.

I dont have image of the Blow Torch pre amp handy but at least these images will give some indication of the lengths manufacturers go to to perfect their designs.

I have no complaints....and it did not cost $4K and for the differnce I bought a nice Lavry Dac.

Ian