PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows?

Mr. Widget
02-12-2004, 11:02 AM
I noticed recently that the 1500AL woofer to be used in "Project May" shares the same basket as the W15GTI (I believe a car subwoofer). The motor and cone assembly are obviously quite different. My question is, are these drivers being built at Northridge? They are both being marketed through JBL Consumer in NY and seem to have very little in common with any of the JBL Professional drivers.

Hofmannhp
02-12-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
My question is, are these drivers being built at Northridge? They are both being marketed through JBL Consumer in NY and seem to have very little in common with any of the JBL Professional drivers.

Hi Widget,

I had the same idea.....and read somewhere, that this speaker is external made by Nexus....whoever this is. I found a precision mechanics company with this name in south cal.
Maybe that it's to expensive to built this part in the JBL plant. For me it's no problem when the JBL standards are ok.

Hope that Giskard can tell us more......

HP

Hofmannhp
02-12-2004, 04:26 PM
it's me again,

BTW ...I wonder why the consumer division is acting from NY.
When thinking about synergie effects in administration it must be more cost effective to divide the marketing.

HP

Don McRitchie
02-13-2004, 05:32 AM
All engineering, Pro and Consumer, is done at JBL Northridge. Only the management and marketing for JBL Consumer is in New York. Both Pro and Consumer have separate engineering resources and teams. However, the K2 drivers were unique in that they were a collaborative effort between Pro and Consumer. The visual links between the 1500AL and GTI have to do with the fact that they were both the ultimate responsibility of JBL Consumer's Senior Transducer Engineer - Jerry Moro. Plus, the industrial design for both was done by Dan Ashcraft. The professional involvement in the 1500AL and 435 is covered in a new article on the Project May section of the website that should be public within a few days.

dgorshe
02-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Well i have a similiar experiance, i had the older model jbl 1200gti car stereo competiton sub, it was almost identical to the a home version of the woofer that came in the 4312. I hooked it up in an L-100 box and it just didnt sound nearly as good as the white coned woofers that were orginally in the boxes. but it had alot of low end bass, just lacked the mid bass. so i hooked them up to my surround sound system and powered them with an NAD 7600 and by god they sounded as good as could be for a powered sub. it was a perfect match to my other JBL's in the front and center channels. i ended up giving them to my little bro for his car stereo cause thats where they were made to be and my little bro likes having JBL's that can sound better than all that mass produced over priced junk they try to sell today in car audio. well thats my info/rant