PDA

View Full Version : Old Marketplace Posts

Robh3606
06-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Have you been noticing that several have been restarted due to Google hits. The last one was over 4 years old. I don't see why we can't just archive those over a year old or just delete them. Might stop these essentaily dead threads and dead ends from resufacing.

Rob:)

Don McRitchie
06-28-2007, 10:57 AM
As an alternative, I would suggest closing any marketplace posts after a certain date. Being the packrat that I am, I like keeping information. Keeping the posts means that the Marketplace board becomes an archive of sorts to see what has been coming up for sale, and on occaision, selling prices. Since it takes no more effort to close a thread than to delete it, I prefer the former over the latter.

Don McRitchie
06-28-2007, 03:39 PM
As a test, I closed all of the marketplace threads that are over one month old. If anyone feels this too long or too short, voice your opinion here. If there is a consensus that this is not a good approach, it's no big deal to undo the closures.

Don

BMWCCA
06-28-2007, 03:46 PM
You're on the right track, and it's an excellent idea. IMHO a longer time to closing might make more sense. I was thinking something around 3-6 months without any new posts, if it's not any more trouble than one. But then I guess if someone really needs to contact the seller, a PM will do.

Was your month from the date of the first post or the last? :hmm:

Mr. Widget
06-28-2007, 09:11 PM
For most Market Place threads a moth is fine, but there are many times when that is just too short of a time period... I'd like to see them wait 90 days before closing them.

Widget

4313B
06-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Being the packrat that I am, I like keeping information.We buried alot of good information in Marketplace...

spkrman57
06-29-2007, 07:43 AM
So we may check for reference in the future.

Ron

JBLnsince1959
06-29-2007, 11:58 AM
We buried alot of good information in Marketplace...

yes indeed.......

For most Market Place threads a month is fine, but there are many times when that is just too short of a time period... I'd like to see them wait 90 days before closing them.

Widget

agree, sounds very reasonable

So we may check for reference in the future.

Ron

10-4, wish more people would include the pictures from ebay as those auctions disappear after awhile....

glen
06-30-2007, 08:05 PM
For most Market Place threads a moth is fine, but there are many times when that is just too short of a time period... I'd like to see them wait 90 days before closing them.

Widget
I'd second the 90 days before closing.
Looking at the two threads on each of the latest 10 Lansing Marketplace pages with the most replies found that 16 of the twenty threads had a span of 90 days or less between the first and last post. Only 4 threads, 20 percent, had posts more than 90 days after the thread was started.

An exception might be made for the Ad of the Day thread.

Don McRitchie
07-01-2007, 11:08 AM
For what it is worth, the method I used to close threads is that there had to be no activity in the thread for the last 30 days. In other words, the time was measured from the last post and not the first post.

Voice
10-09-2016, 04:06 AM
How to edit or erase threads on the Marketplace ?