PDA

View Full Version : Cool Craigslist find JBL Endtables

kingjames
06-24-2007, 06:41 PM
Got these on Craigslist.

I'm sure these cabinets weren't made by JBL but they are built very well. There are wheels on the bottom as well.How practical these really are. Put lamps on them and when you're ready for the music just open the doors. Pictures attached.

kingjames
06-24-2007, 06:45 PM
cont.

kingjames
06-24-2007, 06:46 PM
cont

Mr. Widget
06-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Got these on Craigslist.
I'm sure these cabinets weren't made by JBL but they are built very well. There are wheels on the bottom as well.How practical these really are. Put lamps on them and when you're ready for the music just open the doors. Pictures attached.Are we to congratulate you on your finding a very tidy JBL 030 system or are you posting these to sell? I'd guess you want to sell them since they are in the Market place??

Either way, they do look quite nice... the cabinets are not my style, but someone with a shag carpet theme may really dig them.

Widget

kingjames
06-25-2007, 05:02 AM
Are we to congratulate you on your finding a very tidy JBL 030 system or are you posting these to sell? I'd guess you want to sell them since they are in the Market place??

Either way, they do look quite nice... the cabinets are not my style, but someone with a shag carpet theme may really dig them.

Widget

Mr. Widget I put these in the marketplace because my last post on free items that I was offering to members was moved there. I'm not sure where anything goes anymore:D. I just like the concept of these, an out of the way cabinet so to speak.It definately has that 60's look. I can remember in those days when all end tables looked like these. I like wood items and though I really don't care too much for the finish on these they are still wood none the less.

You say these are the 030 system, I will have to do a search on this to feed my brain. I haven't hooked them up yet but they look to be in good shape and don't think there will be a problem. I am curious to see how they sound.I don't know if I can get used to a 2 way system again.

I remember in the early 70's I had a 2 way system with a 15"LF driver and this 075 HF driver. Don't remember what model cabinet. I also remember that it took some getting use to a 2 way system. After a while though it grew on you and sounded outstanding as you would expect from JBL in those days.

The history on these as told by the person who sold them to me is that they have been in a warehouse since the 60's and have not been used.The owner of this property died in 1968 and the property was just more or less abandoned,maybe he had no realitives or something. This guy purchased this warehouse for the land and found a few goodies after entereing the building.

In one room that had been completely sealed for this long revealed these speakers and a JBL console equipment cabinet which had an old Teac reel to Reel, Mcintosh Amp and Mcintosh preamp and a Knight microphone.

These items have probably 40 years of dust when I picked them up but what was good there was no dust whatsoever inside the cabinets.It's just good that these 15's don't have foam.

Inside one cabinet I found a perfect cartoon section from the Chicago Tribune dated July 16th 1967.I have posted a couple of picture's of it.

Isin't this D130 LF driver considered a guitar speaker? If so why would it be matched with an 075 HF driver?

Don McRitchie
06-25-2007, 07:08 AM
I have to admit I am still confused. Are you:

just posting interesting pictures you found on Craigslist?
selling this system?
keeping the components and giving away the enclosures?
just wanting to find out more about the system?

The D130 is not a guitar speaker, though variants have been made for that purpose. It was the first 4" voice coil driver made by JBL and was personally designed by Jim Lansing in 1947. Like the speaker you have illustrated, the system you recall from the 70's would have been the 030 system, consisting of the D130, 075 and N2400 xover. JBL never packaged this system in a dedicated enclosure but offered a number of enclosures that could accept this kit, the last 70's version being the L45 Flair. I would gues that many more systems were installed in custom enclosures than were ever supplied in JBL cabinets. In the 70's our local JBL dealers pumped out scores of these systems in locally built, unfinished 13 cu. ft. cabinets.

jim campbell
06-25-2007, 07:33 AM
selling this system?
just wanting to find out more about the system?The D130 is not a guitar speaker, though variants have been made for that purpose. It was the first 4" voice coil driver made by JBL and was personally designed by Jim Lansing in 1947. Like the speaker you have illustrated, the system you recall from the 70's would have been the 030 system, consisting of the D130, 075 and N2400 xover. JBL never packaged this system in a dedicated enclosure but offered a number of enclosures that could accept this kit, the last 70's version being the L45 Flair. I would gues that many more systems were installed in custom enclosures than were ever supplied in JBL cabinets. In the 70's our local JBL dealers pumped out scores of these systems in locally built, unfinished 13 cu. ft. cabinets.western sound im guessing,as i remember i bought my stuff there after a side by side demo with an 030 in grey cabs........my original receipt said 030-3 as it was a 136a,077,and an le 5-2 in a slightly smaller box,unpainted mdf.......

clmrt
06-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Where did the tweets go in the cabs? I don't see the opening.

Don McRitchie
06-25-2007, 08:02 AM
western sound im guessing,as i remember i bought my stuff there after a side by side demo with an 030 in grey cabs........my original receipt said 030-3 as it was a 136a,077,and an le 5-2 in a slightly smaller box,unpainted mdf.......

Actually, I was referring to Advance. For at least three years, there were always sets for sale in their main showroom. For a while, they were selling 030's in Karlson cabinets as well.

kingjames
06-25-2007, 08:12 AM

selling this system?
just wanting to find out more about the system?
The D130 is not a guitar speaker, though variants have been made for that purpose. It was the first 4" voice coil driver made by JBL and was personally designed by Jim Lansing in 1947. Like the speaker you have illustrated, the system you recall from the 70's would have been the 030 system, consisting of the D130, 075 and N2400 xover. JBL never packaged this system in a dedicated enclosure but offered a number of enclosures that could accept this kit, the last 70's version being the L45 Flair. I would gues that many more systems were installed in custom enclosures than were ever supplied in JBL cabinets. In the 70's our local JBL dealers pumped out scores of these systems in locally built, unfinished 13 cu. ft. cabinets.

Don, thanks for the info on the 030 system and specifically the D130. Now to answer you're questions.

1.Wanted to share another find with the forum

2.Eventually I will sell this system sometime as I have no desire for DIY projects.

3. I would like to sell as complete system when I do decide to sell them

4.I always want to know about stuff I find.

Mr. Widget
06-25-2007, 08:17 AM
1.Wanted to share another find with the forum

2.Eventually I will sell this system...Cool find then.

I'll move it to "General" then... you can always sell them on eBay, post a link in the Market Place or simply post them on the market Place when the time comes.

Widget

kingjames
06-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Where did the tweets go in the cabs? I don't see the opening.

In the box there is a cutout below the woofer and the cutout looks like it was originally designed for a horn. In this cutout not noticeable in the pictures is a little area that was cut off on the top edge and they were mounted here with the brackets. I hadn't noticed before but just noticed that the LF driver is on top and the 075 is on the bottom. Why do you suppose someone would do it this way? Is there any advantage to this setup? I never seen a setup where the HF driver was below the LF driver but I haven't seen too many sytem's anyway so I am not an expert.

Mr. Widget
06-25-2007, 08:21 AM
In the box there is a cutout below the woofer...That rectangular cutout is likely a "tuned" port.

Widget

Titanium Dome
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
That rectangular cutout is likely a "tuned" port.

Widget

Yeah, well you can tuna port in an enclosure, but you can't tuna fish.

kingjames
06-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Cool find then.

I'll move it to "General" then... you can always sell them on eBay, post a link in the Market Place or simply post them on the market Place when the time comes.

Widget

Thanks much Mr.Widget.

jim campbell
06-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Actually, I was referring to Advance. For at least three years, there were always sets for sale in their main showroom. For a while, they were selling 030's in Karlson cabinets as well.thats where i got my le 85/hl91 stuff but i just dont remember the jb stuff...........maybe thats before they deemed me worthy of the big rooms....i do remember they used to have the big infinities.quantum line source and maggies,the three section grey ones come to mind.....was that during the reign of roseman and siwiki............i ran into brenda a while back........its amazing that they remember after all this time but the guys they got there now probably would forget you as soon as you walk out the door......

Mr. Widget
06-25-2007, 08:26 AM
I hadn't noticed before but just noticed that the LF driver is on top and the 075 is on the bottom. Why do you suppose someone would do it this way?The 075 was used in rail yards to beam ultra high frequency sound across the yard to a detector... as cars rolled by they would break the beam and get counted... maybe someone devised a similar setup in their home to keep track of the cat's traveling back and forth?

Widget

jim campbell
06-25-2007, 08:34 AM
i wonder if they were originally designed for a single full range driver,and the 030 stuff added later...........a lot of the old cabinet radio/record players were set up that way.........

kingjames
06-25-2007, 08:46 AM
The 075 was used in rail yards to beam ultra high frequency sound across the yard to a detector... as cars rolled by they would break the beam and get counted... maybe someone devised a similar setup in their home to keep track of the cat's traveling back and forth?

Widget

:applaud::rotfl::applaud:

toddalin
06-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Dollars to donuts that they are Barzilay cabinets that were popular in the 60s. I picked up a set that looked quite similar (but without the opening fronts) with an 030 system in them for my father-in-law many years back.

kingjames
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Dollars to donuts that they are Barzilay cabinets that were popular in the 60s. I picked up a set that looked quite similar (but without the opening fronts) with an 030 system in them for my father-in-law many years back.

Now that you mention this these look very similiar as to the equipment cabinets that I see on ebay from time to time which were barzilay cabinets.

kingjames
06-26-2007, 04:10 AM
I have put this link here as it confirms that these are Barzilay cabinets.Mod's I used this link to continue continuity in this thread and not as a sale item that should be in market place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-JBL-speakers-scott-am-fm-tuner-turntable_W0QQitemZ260132461303QQihZ016QQcategoryZ 50597QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jblwolf
06-26-2007, 05:42 AM
THE "end tables" were part of a equipment cabinet made by Barzilay1967-8 with many opitions,one being doors for speakers cabinets,the sample you picked up are a excellent example and the link to a ebay auction is the whole system.I should have added,the picture is from 1968-9 catalog,the most common that you see on ebay.I have had a few of these cabinets,that I reworked with excellent results(Le15a)

kingjames
06-26-2007, 07:52 AM
thanks Jblwolf, you're catalog pictures is also a confirmation.Where did you locate that catalog?

jblwolf
06-26-2007, 10:20 AM
I think it came from a Allied catalog?,I found the page in a equipment cabinet with speakers,the speakers were Altec 605's,mac preamp/amp,sony reel to reel,garrard turntable,I redid the speaker cab to house a le15,I redid the equipment cab to house a single 2245(tent sale item $105:applaud:)no pictures yet-and used the extra lumber to build the mounts for the 375/077's

jblwolf
06-26-2007, 10:36 AM
and

kingjames
06-26-2007, 11:04 AM
AWESOME!!!:yes:

spkrman57
06-27-2007, 07:25 AM
I wish I had the 3 piece model. I have the model II which is a one-piece.

I can't even give that console away!!!:blink:

Ron

kingjames
06-27-2007, 09:26 AM
I wish I had the 3 piece model. I have the model II which is a one-piece.

I can't even give that console away!!!:blink:

Ron

I would prefer the 3 piece as well.

jblwolf
06-27-2007, 09:58 AM
you said free?To bad your not closer,how close are you to the michigan/ohio boarder?.you may want to take it apart and save it for the vintage lumber.what I like about the barzilay stuff is its only 18" to 20"deep,I had a pair of L300(23-24"deep) and a B460(24-25"deep)and they really took away alot of room from the wall.I started picking up barzilay stuff and reworking the cabinets,or saving the lumber for future projects(pictured 6.5cuft for the le15a)and the project Im working on now,redoing a equipment cabinet to house a 2245h(15-16cuft-60x28x18).I guess I like to tinker around with my sound system,over the last 25 years my taste has changed,moving from factory made systems to completely custom,experimenting with different driver combos from Altec/Jensen/JBL/Tru sonic and so on.a sheet of walnut goes for $115 to $155 a sheet,when I can get the barzilay on the cheap:D you catch were Im coming from?

spkrman57
06-27-2007, 03:13 PM
you said free?To bad your not closer,how close are you to the michigan/ohio boarder?.

a sheet of walnut goes for $115 to $155 a sheet,when I can get the barzilay on the cheap:D you catch were Im coming from?

Take a road trip to Columbus and pick mine up free!!!

Ron

jblwolf
06-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I did a mileage calculator and 345+miles oneway is a bit to far,I didnt think the border was that far from my city. I really thank you for the offer.

John
06-28-2007, 12:02 AM
I did a mileage calculator and 345+miles oneway is a bit to far,I didnt think the border was that far from my city. I really thank you for the offer.

Damm, you sure your not in Ontario? ;)