PDA

View Full Version : Altec Lansing Model 8

Pengvim
06-24-2007, 03:29 AM
Hi, I'm just wondering; is Model 8 one of the good Altec Lansing's? I've got a pair of Focal Chorus 826V from before and I'm happy with those.. but how will Altec sound in comparison? I guess it won't sound like crap in comparison?

Earl K
06-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Hi

Read this thread about the LZT tweeter used in the Altec model 6. (http://www.hostboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3729&t=2519) The remarks made by Russ Farrell ( an ex Altec employee ) are quite revealing to me. The fact that the Model 6 compared favourably with JBLs' 4313 model ( which Altec was trying to displace in the studio market with the Model 6 ) , is indeed quite high praise ( at least it is to me ).

I realize you're asking about the biggest model with the 12" woofer. Personally ( when blindly buying a 12" woofer based 3-way ) , I'd rather own the JBL 128H-1 . Others have testified that this 12" hifi woofer ( I believe , also found in the Model 14 ) is pretty musical . You might want to research a bit more about this particular woofer / unfortunately, I believe it was never deemed important enough to have been given a bona fide model number .

A couple of things that I like about this series of Altec three-ways is the cabinetry ( nice veneer from the South Pacific ) and the soft-fabric placed on the baffle-board for sound absorbing duty ( that was a nice touch ).

I realize this is all anecdotal information / but I fear this sort of reply is about all you'll get on this scarce speaker .

One note of caution, getting replacement parts for a speaker like this ( from an extinct company ) will be virtually impossible. But like I said, I do like the cabinet .

:)

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/specs/home-systems/model-4-6-8/page15.jpg

Pengvim
06-24-2007, 06:22 AM
well, the one I'm looking at has just been resurrounded and kits for doing that are not hard to get. The rest is supposed to work like it should, but i will listen to it before handing over the cash.. we're talking about 250$ btw, so not a really big load..

If I buy them (I probably will), I'll post a comparison with my Focals..:D

btw, is this model supposed to be angled up towards the listener? Like Klipsch Heresy I mean.. In that case, what can I use to angle it?

Earl K
06-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Hi,

$150.00 ??? I don't think you can go too wrong at that price, especially if the vereered cabinets are attractive to your taste in wood.

Listening first ?? Always a superb idea .

JBL 128H-1 woofs ? Everyone should own at least one pair ( unless of course they already own a pair of JBL le10H woofers / a 10" variant ). I'm sceptical that the model 8 will have the same size hole cut out of the baffle to retrofit the JBL 12". You might ask other Altec 14 owners about the size of the woofer cutout before buying ( if a woofer retrofit is part of a future plan ) .

btw, is this model supposed to be angled up towards the listener? Like Klipsch Heresy I mean.. In that case, what can I use to angle it?
Angled stands ? Here's a pic of the angled floor stands that JBL sold for the L100. Something like this should work for you . You'll need to make them or wait to buy a pair if they ever appear on eBay .

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6065&stc=1&d=1111327072

- There might be plans on this site showing the dimensions and rough directions on how to build a set / use this sites' search engine ( input; "L100 Stands" or just "Stands" ) and you'll get a lot of hits for you to read through .

JBLRaiser
06-24-2007, 07:40 AM
well, the one I'm looking at has just been resurrounded and kits for doing that are not hard to get. The rest is supposed to work like it should, but i will listen to it before handing over the cash.. we're talking about 250$ btw, so not a really big load..

If I buy them (I probably will), I'll post a comparison with my Focals..:D

making the angled stands showing up from time to time. If I can locate him, I'll add info.

Pengvim
06-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi,

$150.00 ??? I don't think you can go too wrong at that price, especially if the vereered cabinets are attractive to your taste in wood.

Listening first ?? Always a superb idea .

JBL 128H-1 woofs ? Everyone should own at least one pair ( unless of course they already own a pair of JBL le10H woofers / a 10" variant ). I'm sceptical that the model 8 will have the same size hole cut out of the baffle to retrofit the JBL 12". You might ask other Altec 14 owners about the size of the woofer cutout before buying ( if a woofer retrofit is part of a future plan ) .

- There might be plans on this site showing the dimensions and rough directions on how to build a set / use this sites' search engine ( inputting "L100 Stands" or just "Stands" ) to get a lot of hits for you to read through .

typing error, it's 250$ for the pair. I love the wood (and hope for no scratches).. and it's according to the seller the same price he paid for the resurrounding-job..

Are the JBL woofers that much better?

Earl K
06-24-2007, 08:35 AM
Are the JBL woofers that much better?

I'd say yes, but then I'm hopelessly biased in favour of JBL woofer technology / ( though I do store a pair of Altec 416-8C(s) just in case I change my mind ).

ps : Really I won't be much help to you deciding if $ 250.00 is a fair price to pay for these.

Pengvim
06-24-2007, 08:56 AM
Well, I might retromount JBL woofers some time in future. We'll see..:D

Storm
06-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Well, I might retromount JBL woofers some time in future. We'll see..:D

Well, then why don't you just buy a set of vintage JBLs?

Just a thought.

;)

-Storm.

Pengvim
06-24-2007, 09:47 AM
because I wanna know how Altec sounds.. I might just like it better..:D

besides, the only JBL available used here in norway right now are a pair of Radiance Series R82..
well, I don't know if these are good. I don't know wich model it is either.. they listed for about 200$..

louped garouv
06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
I would buy them for $250 if they were in good working order...

I would suspect that they would sound better than JBL Radial iPod Docking Speaker System with IR Remote at least....

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4135638&JRSource=googlebase.datafeed.JBL+RADIALWHT

http://images.jr.com/productimages/JBLRADIALWHT.PNG?CELL=380,380&QLT=67&FTR=3&BGCOLOR=FFFFFF&CVT=jpeg