PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap JBL 2 way DIY system?

oldr&b
02-11-2004, 05:24 PM
In 1974 I put one D130 and 075 each in a pair of Bozak Concert Grand enclosures. I covered the extra factory baffle board openings and cut what I "calculated" to be the correct size rectangular port. I ran the D130 full range and put a cap on the 075. I drove them with a Dynaco PAS3X and a Scott LK150 tube power amp. In the right size tuned enclosure and with a real crossover how would that combo stand up today as a low bucks system? Thanks, as usual, for the good feedback.

Hey, all you pro sound jungle denizens, I guess this is the place where "good feedback" isn't an oxymoron.)

Mr. Widget
02-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Back in 1977 I built a similar system. I used a K-130 in a 5 cu ft box and tuned it by using some JBL calculator a friend had. I let it run out on the top end and built a second order 5KHz high pass for the tweeter. I used an Electrovoice T-35A because I could get them for $35 ea. The total system cost including MDF ( a new item at the time ) was $305 for the pair.

I really thought I had something. These speakers powered many a party with their 103dB/watt sensitivity. My old Kenwood integrated amp really made them sing. (Still have the amp. I use it as the HF amp in my shop.)

A few years ago I borrowed the speakers back from the friend I had sold them to. I guess I have become a bit more discerning. I had remembered deep bass and a smooth midrange. Not! They sounded like s_ _ _.

What a difference a few decades of education makes!

mikebake
02-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I just deleted my first idea; how about a decent home brew JBL based sub and then two semi-el-cheapo satellites using JBL?? Concentrate on letting the sub do the hard work up to around 100hz, then on to a two way mid/hi design??

oldr&b
02-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Mikebake, with a 100 Hz crossover point, some think a MONO sub can work effectively but I'm wondering about the extra cost of the mains to sub crossover network.

Anyone out there have any ideas for a decent bucks down active (or passive) 100 Hz crossover for a 3 piece system?

oldr&b
02-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Mr. Widget, free is better than cheap. Before I learned the error of my ways, I obtained 075s from Midnight Audio Supply taking them off telephone poles at intersections where they were used as part of traffic light managing hardware.

mikebake
02-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Oldr&b;
For band for the buck, i like the Parts Express subwoofer plate amp, so you can adjust phase, crossover, level, and have decent power, all for cheap. Their site is under maintenance, but I think they are are $200, and some guys on here use 'em I believe.

oldr&b
02-12-2004, 09:11 AM
Mikebake, yes I've got a Parts Express catalog and their stuff could do the trick.

Alex Lancaster
02-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Well, getting back on the "cheap" 2 way: an eBay DIY 4430, the 2235's, 2425´s are easy, the 2344's more difficult, but You could use p-audio´s horns, and there are xover designs on the forum.

Let us know, Thanks, Alex.