PDA

View Full Version : JBL numbering database, an idea

Hofmannhp
02-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Hi All,

few years ago I had the idea of building an international database for all numbers on the plates of all JBL stuff.

I thought about gathering the whole history of each speaker which is around here and everywhere.

Data can be:
- number
- year of fabr. (if known)
- bought when
- owned by (at this time)
- owner changing
- new diaphragma....when
etc.

I think this forum can be the right platform for this and the database only fed by the forum members will be the right beginning.

What do you think?

replies wanted!

HP

boputnam
02-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Oh no.... :banghead:

It would take centuries just to track the movement of just one pair of L1:D:D's. :rotfl:

Hey - maybe that's where "Century" came from...? :slink:

OK, sorry thoots! I've thought the same about just inventorying the 43xx-series large format monitors - how many were made, and where they're currently. Probably an impossible task. :(

Tom Loizeaux
02-11-2004, 05:31 PM
Some people have tried this with vintage Fender Precision basses. Because the numbers are almost managable and the owners and fans of these are usually quite fanatical, a very large, shared worldwide listing does exist!
For this to work with JBL speakers, I suspect it would need to narrow the field considerably. Maybe just the two top models of vintage JBL studio monitors: the 4350 and 4343.
Since I own a pair of 4343s, I'd be interested to learn where the others are and might brenifit from talking with other 4343 owners.

If you want to follow through with this, maybe you could post a templatre on the Forum and have owners just fill these out for tabulation and possible posting. ?

Tom

Hofmannhp
02-18-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Oh no.... :banghead:

It would take centuries just to track the movement of just one pair of L1:D:D's. :rotfl:

Hey - maybe that's where "Century" came from...? :slink:

Hi Bo,

ok..ok..ok.... I think your'e right Bo. I didn't thought about the quantity of stuff everywhere.

My own list with my poor JBL stuff got around 35 positions.

:banghead:

HP