PDA

View Full Version : Altec Stonehedge 3

02-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I have a pair with re-coned woofers. My bass performance is really bad. I have never heard this model with original woofer cones. I am not sure who re-coned my woofers as it was done before I acquired them. They may not be Altec factory cones.

Does anyone have experience with an "original" pair? If I get original 604's would the bass response be better? Perhaps similar to a model 19? Or is the cabinet too small or poorly designed and good bass will never happen?

Thanks,

Todd W. White
02-15-2004, 09:25 PM
The 604-based Stonehenge III had really superb bass response - not the knock-you-down performance of the 416 in a Model 19, but ver natural and well behaved, none the less.

You should have Great Plains Audio rebuild them to original specifications.

Stonehenge Man
05-02-2005, 11:32 PM
I have a pair of I's coming into my hands this week, and one cone is patched, the grilles are in heaven maybe, there are two nails at the top of each cabinet, the shaft is broken of one control and a small bit of the veneer is missing in places.

I sure need some help here, and I haven't found a lot yet. I THINK it was in the 1975 lineup, so I shall look, but which drivers shuld I look out for on the auctions and other sales?

Thank you. Everything here has been more than helpful!

Stonehenge Man
05-10-2005, 05:58 PM
I have ONE of the Stonehenges in the back of the car right now, and the other comes tomorrow. Yes they DID sit in a shed for several years, and they look it :montyp: but Christmas came early :window: :tree: so I shall get to work and get the camera working so you can see in a new thread soon. :bouncy: :applaud: