PDA

View Full Version : JBL D120F red basket versus gray basket

horseshead
06-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Why do people seem to think that the red basket D120F is any different than the gray basket D120F other than the paint? Is there anything I'm missing?
Rick

edgewound
06-20-2007, 12:27 PM
No, Rick.

I think you mean the Fender "orange" baskets? They are exactly the same as the grey baskets.

The only difference might be the collectable romance of being branded as "Fender".

Zilch
06-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I don't believe JBL ever sold the orange drivers directly, whereas the "F" series was offered as components, and OEM'd to other manufacturers.

If it's orange, it likely came out of a Fender amp, or was sold through them. If it has the Fender foilcal, it almost certainly did.

[EXCEPT for the counterfeits, of course.... ]

horseshead
06-20-2007, 04:12 PM
No, Rick.

I think you mean the Fender "orange" baskets? They are exactly the same as the grey baskets.

The only difference might be the collectable romance of being branded as "Fender".

I remember the grey baskets branded D120F on the back of the speaker just the same as the orange baskets were branded.

Maron Horonzakz
06-21-2007, 04:52 AM
There were also purple baskets used for Heil Music. JBL will paint them any color you want if you order in mass quantities.

GordonW
06-22-2007, 07:26 AM
No, Rick.

Apparently, as was said above, JBL would paint them any color, if you bought enough. I've seen a D130 with a RED AND AQUA GREEN basket/magnet (the basket was bright red, the magnet was aqua green, with a factory JBL label on top of the aqua green!)...

Regards,
Gordon.

Harvey Gerst
06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Apparently, as was said above, JBL would paint them any color, if you bought enough. I've seen a D130 with a RED AND AQUA GREEN basket/magnet (the basket was bright red, the magnet was aqua green, with a factory JBL label on top of the aqua green!)...

Regards,
Gordon.
I'm pretty certain this painting custom colors was the brain child of Tony Lowe, who took over the OEM stuff after I left JBL.