PDA

View Full Version : is there a current replacement for the LE20 tweeter

J. Cairns
06-20-2007, 06:49 AM
I am looking to swap out the LE 20's for something better. Keeping in mind that they should compliment my LE 10 A woofers. The second question is - would I still be able to use my LE 11 crossover with the new tweeters?

edgewound
06-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I am looking to swap out the LE 20's for something better. Keeping in mind that they should compliment my LE 10 A woofers. The second question is - would I still be able to use my LE 11 crossover with the new tweeters?

The current JBL Transducer Replacement list has the 035TIA as the "last resort" acoustic equivalent substitute for the LE20-1.

soundboy
06-20-2007, 12:23 PM
If it were me, I would use the LE26 from the 4301/L19. They are surprisingly smooth, considering the use of paper. They are smoother and go a bit higher than the LE20, from what I have heard....They also will sound much nicer at a lower crossover than a 035ti, IMHO. One of the reasons that the 4408 monitor sounds irritating and hard to me, is I beleive the low 2500hz crossover of that titanium tweet. The 4406's don't have the same problem. Just my opinion, as the 4301's, with the same driver sizes, to my ears don't irritate in the same way.
They should work fine with the exixting crossover, as well.

Thom
06-20-2007, 02:11 PM
The current JBL Transducer Replacement list has the 035TIA as the "last resort" acoustic equivalent substitute for the LE20-1.

Why do you (or who ever you are quoting) call it last resort? I normally wouldn't be interested but last night I dropped an L100 right on it's tweeter. I don't plan to use it soon but I will have to do something about the tweeter. What are 066 characteristics in comparison ? I've got a pair of heath speakers I can take the right speakers out of. I don't plan to sell so original doesn't mean that much to me. I don't plan to part either unless it's for play time. I couldn't exactly tell you why but I always sort of hated that tweeter. Most of their drivers of the day seemed sort of special it seamed like just another tweeter. I could be wrong. Have been before.

edgewound
06-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Why do you (or who ever you are quoting) call it last resort? I normally wouldn't be interested but last night I dropped an L100 right on it's tweeter. ......

.... I couldn't exactly tell you why but I always sort of hated that tweeter. Most of their drivers of the day seemed sort of special it seamed like just another tweeter. I could be wrong. Have been before.

Thom,

Let me clarify what my source is. My source is my JBL Professional Factory Authorized Service Manual.

The 035TIA is quoted as a last resort option should a certain transducer be no longer available or repairable.

You see...when a vintage part is no longer in production the service manual suggests a currently available factory replacement. Ideally one that is supportable with current replacement parts.

Now...LE25's of different flavors are available on the used market and are
repairable...The D8RLE252 is currently available.

If your L100 has an LE20 good luck finding parts. If you have an LE25-2 you're in luck....it can be rediaphragmed to new condition for about $90/ea. I believe the only difference between the LE25 and LE25-2 is the foam ring....-2 has a neoprene rubber ring rather than open-cell foam...it doesn't rot.

So...that's why I say these things...because I'm authorized by the factory to say them on their behalf.

John
06-20-2007, 05:23 PM
So...that's why I say these things...because I'm authorized by the factory to say them on their behalf.

:jawdrop:WOW

edgewound
06-20-2007, 05:36 PM
:jawdrop:WOW

Then you should just ignore factory supplied info.

After all...I was asked what the quoted source is.

Apparently an honest answer isn't appreciated....

Whatever.

John
06-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Then you should just ignore factory supplied info.

After all...I was asked what the quoted source is.

Apparently an honest answer isn't appreciated....

Whatever.

Hi Edge Relax, I was trying to inject humor into the forum. I know there is a lot of stress out there in socal but you got to smooth out the edge!!!;)

I know it can get frustrating with handing out info and then
being questioned about it, but you have to expect that on these public forums:)

edgewound
06-21-2007, 12:50 PM
Hi Edge Relax, I was trying to inject humor into the forum. I know there is a lot of stress out there in socal but you got to smooth out the edge!!!;)

I know it can get frustrating with handing out info and then
being questioned about it, but you have to expect that on these public forums:)

Fair enough, John.

The stress in SoCal is a good kind....just ask your recently ex-expat that's going as far Southern California as can be to get away from you effin' Canadians.

Humor.:jawdrop::rotfl::yes:

John
06-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Fair enough, John.

The stress in SoCal is a good kind....just ask your recently ex-expat that's going as far Southern California as can be to get away from you effin' Canadians.

Humor.:jawdrop::rotfl::yes:

As far as I know there is no such thing as good stress:o:

As far as Ken going to Mexico? He will be back.;)

Care to place a bet:hmm:

jim campbell
06-22-2007, 04:37 PM

As far as Ken going to Mexico? He will be back.;)

Care to place a bet:hmm:one would have to question the sanity of of anyone who had not one but two chances to flee only to return, except maybe at gunpoint

edgewound
06-22-2007, 05:38 PM

...:hmm:

Eustress...That's what we search for and hopefully find:applaud:

...like the right replacement tweeter.;)