PDA

View Full Version : 4344 Build Project

saeman
06-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Last year I managed to get my hands on a complete set of factory 4344 components - complete as in all components, x-overs, foil cals and grille badges. I didn't actually receive them until November but knowing they were coming I had but one sensible choice - build a pair of cabinets to put them in.

The pair of cabinets had been complete for months but I only recently managed to get the grilles built and covered with cloth. After months of photo procrastination I finally took some pics to post. I have quite a few and will try to post some more later.

There is quite a bit of 4344 info in various threads but little to none on factory built 4344's. If anyone has an interest I have a complete set of plans for factory 4344's. Ian, Giskard and others have posted several alternate baffle arrangements for the factory component set and there are spin-off plans also.

My rosewood clone 4344's are sitting here waiting completion - alternate baffle arrangement and eventually CC networks. I will someday give them a solid A/B comparison.

Rick :bouncy:

edgewound
06-19-2007, 09:21 PM
Good stuff, riessen.

johnaec
06-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Interesting grille cloth experimentation. I'd like to see tan sometime, with the foilcals mounted - 'bet they'd look nice too.

As always - 'excellent work!

John

richluvsound
06-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi Riessen,

Just as I expected, Superb !!!

Got any dates yet ?

Rich

saeman
06-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi John:

The grille cloth is actually a very nice and rich looking Burgundy. The photo lights have washed out the color and give it a rusty appearance.

From an earlier 4344 thread, here's a couple of pics showing tan or camel. I too am anxious to see the grille badges mounted against a tan background. I have another pair of badges but have run out of the little L-brackets to mount them. I'll post some pics when I get them done.

Rick

Chas
06-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I'd be very interested to hear your comments vs. 4345.

saeman
06-20-2007, 11:09 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I'd be very interested to hear your comments vs. 4345.

They both sound great but "Apples and Oranges" is the only fair comparison. The 2235H in the 4344's cannot compete with the low end produced by the 2245H - everyone knows that already. The components above that are identical in both systems.

Actually the low end on the 4345's is too boomy and I'll need to get some eq-ing done before I decide where they're right for my room. They're both currently running on factory 3144/3145 networks. I will eventually install CC networks in the 4345's. At that point I will get them set up for their best performance.

Chas
06-20-2007, 11:23 AM
I understand, I have had my fun with the 18's in the 4345's in my room too. I am curious to know if you perceiive a difference in upper bass articulation with string bass, etc.

saeman
06-20-2007, 11:31 AM
I haven't got that far yet. I'll be able to do some comparison over the next few weeks and I can post my impressions then.

Thom
06-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Did you make the red lens? If so, out of what?

Mr. Widget
06-21-2007, 12:52 AM
They both sound great but "Apples and Oranges" ...

Actually the low end on the 4345's is too boomy...I'd suggest room placement is the likely culprit. In most rooms it is difficult not to place such large speakers near a wall or even in a corner. I find most JBLs sound too boomy for me under these circumstances. Of course the room also plays a role here and I have heard Bo's 4345s sound quite good up against the wall and the bass is still quite defined and tuneful.

Widget

Robh3606
06-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Wow they look great!

Rob:)

Mr. Widget
06-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Wow they look great!

Rob:)Yeah, but with Rick you learn to expect that... :applaud:

Great work as usual Rick!

Widget

Jan Daugaard
06-22-2007, 04:56 AM
Where is the grille cloth available?

saeman
06-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Did you make the red lens? If so, out of what?

Thom: I found the wood lenses on Yahoo Japan. I ended up buying a second pair. Expensive but well made and nice looking. With plastic 2308's bringing $200 a pair I didn't mind picking them up.

Rick

Earl K
06-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Beautiful Work Rick !

<> Earl K :)

macaroonie
06-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Sweet job Rick--- I'll be at you for veneering tips shortly :D

saeman
06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
Sweet job Rick--- I'll be at you for veneering tips shortly :D

No problem. Happy to share what I know and what I don't know we can just make up.:bs:

saeman
06-27-2007, 09:32 PM
A few more pics

saeman
06-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Where is the grille cloth available?

Hello Jan:

The burgundy cloth came from www.cardomain.com (http://www.cardomain.com) It's a double knit polyester but is a bit thin compared to the factory blue. In the right light you can see thru it but I haven't found it to be a problem. I was looking for burgundy to match the L100 foam griiles from son-of-a-gun and it's a dead match. I've been surrounded with blue and just wanted a different look. They also have several other colors.

I did make a pair of grilles with factory blue just in case the JBL police come along for an inspection. I don't want to get a fine.

Rick :bouncy:

saeman
06-28-2007, 09:35 PM
I'd suggest room placement is the likely culprit. In most rooms it is difficult not to place such large speakers near a wall or even in a corner. I find most JBLs sound too boomy for me under these circumstances. Of course the room also plays a role here and I have heard Bo's 4345s sound quite good up against the wall and the bass is still quite defined and tuneful.

Widget

Thanx Widget:

I will do some placement changes and see what the effects are. My room is nearing completion with most of the new furniture in place. I still need to tear out and replace the carpet. I'm sure that will have some effect. The 45's will be a fun project. When my new side by side talking refrigerators are done they will sit in place of the 45's and the 45's will be moved to a longer wall - which will make things easier for placement changes.

Rick

macaroonie
06-29-2007, 03:54 AM
VERY MINTY JOB:applaud: