PDA

View Full Version : Julie and I are moving way south...

Ken Pachkowsky
06-16-2007, 06:34 PM
yep, Julie and I have bought into a Property Management company in San Jose Del Cabo, Mx.

We just got back from finalizing all the details and applying for our FM3 visa's. We hope this is our last major move and plan on retiring in Baja.

My cell# has been the same for many years and is north america wide so if any of my buds (you know who you are) wants to visit, our door is always open. Widget is excluded because he won't sell me a pair of 1500's...:D

Here is the view from our patio.....

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
06-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Yes, the waves are about 6-8 feet high at this time of year. Great for surfing.

Ken

jim campbell
06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
canuckistan will miss you

Ian Mackenzie
06-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Ken,

Looks very relaxing.:)

Salt water is good for your well being but bad for Foam Rot!;)

I think Widget should sell you 1500AL at once.:bouncy:

Ian

boputnam
06-17-2007, 12:01 AM
yep, Julie and I have bought into a Property Management company in San Jose Del Cabo, Mx. ... We hope this is our last major move and plan on retiring in Baja.Holy-moly, Kenman... Quite a switcheroo. Great idea!

Now I know why the "Westies" were tossed over the side - only so much baggage for a trip like this... :p

Ken Pachkowsky
06-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes, we think this will be a good change. The last couple of years have been....well, stressful to say the least.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
06-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Yep, we think it will be great.

Ken

scott fitlin
06-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Hey Ken, that looks INCREDIBLE! Nice way to live, looks relaxing and sunny, I love that.

ENJOY!

:applaud:

Ken Pachkowsky
06-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes, heh did you ever get the new K2's you were after?

If not, what did you get?

Ken

scott fitlin
06-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, heh did you ever get the new K2's you were after?

If not, what did you get?

KenNo, I was going to get three macro tech 2402,s, Canal Hi Fi had stock on them.

But, I was going to go with a budding new companies product, they were going to make me amps traditional class AB, huge PS, 12 pairs of output transistors PER CHANNEL, but, they cant deliver quickly enough, so I cant go that route. The first amp I was to demo has yet to arrive here, and IF I ordered two more, MAYBE, Maybe I would see em by the END of July. No can do!

At this juncture, I decided to just say " FUG IT " and jump into some of the newer technology. I KNOW what the Labs sound like, I know what the new crowns sound like, I also know about QSC,s newest amps, and I have been told that The Digam Powersofts are good.

I had a long conversation with a tech guy I know very well, and his opinion, is the Crowns do sound a bit different than the older Crown stuff, but they do have that Crown BASS Slam.

So, I have caved in, and since I have pretty much always been a Crown powered system, I am going to go this route.

I also had a long discussion about this with my dad, who also is my mentor in many things, we get along well, and his opinion is whatever I choose to do, he feels I should purchase amplifiers from a major manufacturer, not a new company that is yet unkown. After all, something breaks, who services it?

Crown recommended the I Tech 4000,s to run my TAD 1603 woofers, and I need three of them, and I decided to put my socks in my mouth this time, and listen to them. I actually have them ordered and am due to pick them up this coming weeek.

Sorry for the long windedness, I really like your new place of abode! very amazing veiw of the water, very tropical. Youll be happy there, Im sure.

:D

Ken Pachkowsky
06-17-2007, 12:22 PM
Believe it or not, I never tried a K2 till just before selling the HR1's. Wow, the bass was stunning. Wish I had done it sooner. I did selll the K2 with the speakers and have been looking for another to use with the new system subs.

Westlake was kind enough to supply me with the actual blueprints for the BB8SWP subs. They require Tad 1603's but could be modified to accept 2235H's. Whats your opinion?

Ken

scott fitlin
06-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Believe it or not, I never tried a K2 till just before selling the HR1's. Wow, the bass was stunning. Wish I had done it sooner. I did selll the K2 with the speakers and have been looking for another to use with the new system subs.

Westlake was kind enough to supply me with the actual blueprints for the BB8SWP subs. They require Tad 1603's but could be modified to accept 2235H's. Whats your opinion?

KenAgree, there is something about the way crowns do bass. That snap and growl, that kick, very good for dance oriented entertainment systems, and even home subwoofer use, IMHO.

I happen to really like the TAD 1603,s they get down to 28hz, which is fairly low, they have a unique tonality in the bass through low mid registers, that wooden snap, drums sound really incredible through TAD 1603,s, kick drum has tha realistic sound of a well damped kick drum, like you hear a drummer play, and basslines have great definition. Its a bit of a heavier sounding low end compared to the JBL 2226, but the bottom thumps and purrs. I would guess if you like the 2235, this would be sort of similar, not quite as high compliance a suspension as the older 2235, but let me tell you this, they handle power, and they are CLEAN, yet not brittle sounding. They definitely have better low mid response than the JBL 2226, IMO, and THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ME! The deep low end has a sound, really gets down, and has good clean articulation. They give me something that woofers used to give me years ago, that I find alot of todays woofers lacking, THEY make the building SHUDDER!

I definitely feel that using high powewred Crowns, whether K2,s or I techs, you can safely use this power with the 1603, as opposed to the 2235 not really having been designed for this type of power! In this respect, Widgets subs, loaded with the JBL 2242,s taught me something! Whenever I would do what people told me, use high power with my older 2240,s and other older high efficiency woofers, you could audibly hear todays amps sometimes being too much for them, especially folded horns and the ouput would be tremendous, but not proper sounding. OTOH, with The WidgetMaster JBL 2242 loaded cabinets, they take the power of todays amps, and sound good doing it. Todays speakers work well with todays electronics, and that is what I found out.

I also know of Westalke and their love of TAD components, you want some additional info, PM, we can talk in private!

:D

Mr. Widget
06-17-2007, 10:32 PM
...if any of my buds (you know who you are) wants to visit, our door is always open. Widget is excluded because he won't sell me a pair of 1500's...:D That's right... now if anyone besides Ken would like a pair of Sub1500s we can talk :applaud:

Just kidding... none for sale at present.

Congratulations Ken... I know you'll miss the rain, but other than that, it certainly does look like one hell of a departure from the cold and rainy climate of the Pacific Northwest. :bouncy:

Widget

Mr. Widget
06-17-2007, 10:40 PM
For the rest of you, who like me, didn't actually know where in hell Ken was talking about...

Here it is:

richluvsound
06-18-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi Ken,

We have never corresponded, but WOW Man ! Living by the ocean, new westlakes and loads of fresh fish. I learned to surf at the tender age of 43 . I love it . Not much surf on the Thames though ! Your'll need a boat of course ! I can recommend a rarther good English boatbuilder:D Anyway , all bull aside, Enjoy.
An envious Brit,
Rich

JBLnsince1959
06-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Hi Ken:

best of luck in your new adventure...looks exciting:applaud:...wish you guys all the best

I usually go to the Baja about once every one to two years to study with some Indian Shamans ( lately I haven't been tho, but we'll start back once both me and my lady are well again) so you never know; We may make it that far south and say hi some time....drinks are on me....

boputnam
06-18-2007, 08:41 AM
For the rest of you, who like me, didn't actually know where in hell Ken was talking about...:shock:

Glad I snared them 4345's when I did! :rotfl:

Ken Pachkowsky
08-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi all

We had one hell of an adventure moving down here. Perhaps I will tell the whole story if anyone is interested.

Just wanted to make sure everyone who bought stuff from me was happy? I was shippiong stuff as late as the day I crossed the border. Please send me a message if anyone had or has any issues with damage etc.

I fired up the BBSM 8's....

They sound pretty good but I am definately spoiled. All kidding aside, if I want to continue I will have to buy and trade my way back up again. Obviously thats impossible from this location.

Be well guys.

Ken

edgewound
08-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Ken,

Good to hear from you. Sorry I was out of the country when you were looking for me. I heard from you indirectly.

John
08-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi all

We had one hell of an adventure moving down here. Perhaps I will tell the whole story if anyone is interested.

Just wanted to make sure everyone who bought stuff from me was happy? I was shippiong stuff as late as the day I crossed the border. Please send me a message if anyone had or has any issues with damage etc.

I fired up the BBSM 8's....

They sound pretty good but I am definately spoiled. All kidding aside, if I want to continue I will have to buy and trade my way back up again. Obviously thats impossible from this location.

Be well guys.

Ken

Hey Ken Good to see you and the wife made it safely down there.

Did you happen to see the matching westlake subs that were on ebay?

They were loaded with 18" tads. :bouncy:

boputnam
08-10-2007, 02:24 PM
...I will tell the whole story if anyone is interested.Hey...

Never got that return call from you - I guessed you were deep in the move!

Do the tell, my friend - entertain us! Pics, too...?

Hello to Julie... :wave:

JBLRaiser
08-11-2007, 04:19 AM
Hey...

Never got that return call from you - I guessed you were deep in the move!

Do the tell, my friend - entertain us! Pics, too...?

Hello to Julie... :wave:

would love to hear about your adventure.:bouncy:

jim campbell
08-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi all

We had one hell of an adventure moving down here. Perhaps I will tell the whole story.

Be well guys.

Kenglad to hear you made it out ken........did the guards find the tunnel or can some of us still use it..............

JBLnsince1959
08-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Hi all

Ken

Hi Ken..glad you made it OK and safely. I can beleive that it was an adventure having spent so much time down in the Baja and central Mexico myself.

Just remember that Mexico is sometimes a corrupt country and money/things/respect to the right people can help most situations. ( just don't break the law!!!)

I would love to hear how your trip went. We'll try to make it down the next time we're in the Baja.

all the best
Rick

Ken Pachkowsky
08-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Hey Ken Good to see you and the wife made it safely down there.

Did you happen to see the matching westlake subs that were on ebay?

They were loaded with 18" tads. :bouncy:

John, I most certainly did. I was very tempted.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
08-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Ken

johnaec
08-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Hey Ken - time to change your sig location... ;)

Do you have decent Internet access down there?

John

Steve Schell
08-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow Ken, do I understand correctly that you guys have moved down there permanently? Where 'bouts are you located? Please do tell the long version of the story of your move.

I have been to Baja many times on short trips, and drove the peninsula once in 1984. I'd imagine its a bit more built up now, but some things (like the cerveza, the washed out bridges) never change. Baja is a wonderful place!

glen
08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Benvenidos a Mexico Amigo!

Hope you'll have much fun down there!

Puttin' together a butt-shakin' subwoof will be childsplay for you no doubt.
I'll look forward to the thread.

Salud, dinero y amor!

louped garouv
08-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Just remember that Mexico is sometimes a corrupt country and money/things/respect to the right people can help most situations. ( just don't break the law!!!)

i think that is the case in many parts of the world... especially parts of Asia where I have had the opportunity to visit....

(Come to think of it, growing up in N'awlins was probably not much better... unless you had friends in low places :blink:)

Hi all

+1 more vote for storytime....

glad you all made it....

one word...
sunscreen

Ken Pachkowsky
08-17-2007, 07:12 AM
I will post message describing the trip down over the next couple of days.

Ken

PS: I need some advice for a new friend down here. Can someone suggest a decent quality home theater sound system in the 2 grand or better yet, less range? A 5.1 system. He needs 2 of them.

Ken