PDA

View Full Version : Rack Systems

JBL 4645
06-15-2007, 08:56 PM
So after popping over to the Co-Op too get some tropical fruit drink, I looked though the magazine section and picked up “Sound On Sound” and looked though to see if there was anything that would catch my attention.

Found! There’s a place called Thomann based here in the United Kingdom, and I see they have an item called (Millennium SR-Series Studioracks) priced from as low as £66 £75 and £83 pounds. Now I need to do is a little bit more research before buying.

SR-2012 12 U frame £66.00 pounds
SR-2018 18 U frame £75.00 pounds
SR-2024 24 U frame £83.00 pounds

Now I need something that will accommodate several Alesis RA300 and one future Alesis RA500 also the DCX2496 and few DEQ2496 when I get around to buying them. Also the rest of the sound system that doesn’t have the fitting frames on the side but they will fit seeing there under in width.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_sr2024.htm

http://images4.thomann.de/pics/prod/129419.jpg

Most defiantly found! And wow what an affordable price as well! Now all I need to do is say yes to this week after this and forget about the third Alesis RA300 and get a rack system and then go for the third Alesis RA300 two weeks after!

Hmm, I think there based over in France or somewhere like that. Well at least I’m on the right tracks.

I think a little more searching around the Internet is in order.

hjames
06-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Found! There’s a place called Thomann based here in the United Kingdom, and I see they have an item called (Millennium SR-Series Studioracks) priced from as low as £66 £75 and £83 pounds. Now I need to do is a little bit more research before buying. --- Now I need something that will accommodate several Alesis RA300 and one future Alesis RA500 also the DCX2496 and few DEQ2496 when I get around to buying them.

Remember what Robbh told me - plan to leave room between your active (powered) gear & get some blank panels with holes punched in them to improve the air flow.

My "Mini Rack" is just a couple short rails I got from Guitar Center, bolted to some scrap Beech shelf material I bought for $1 each at IKEA. I don't have room for a regular roll around rack in the room, and most of my other gear lacks rack mount 'ears" anyway.

I know you don't want fans, but hot air rising will pull cool air in, if there are vent holes.
Cool gear is happy gear - works better, lower noise and and lasts longer!

JBL 4645
06-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Well I have a plan B for that some PC fans and I can set them to be more than whisper quite with a variable voltage controlling the regulation of the voltage flow!

But thanks for the reminder there Heather, what would I do with you.;)

Well I’ve found this item a Samson SRK21 priced at £84.99 pounds now I wouldn’t mind three or four placed along the sidewall beneath the JBL sidewall surround array on the right-hand side of the room.

Well unless I found something else within the next 10 days I’ll be going for this Samson SRK21, rack system. I’d say I’ll be able to get five or six Alesis RA300 in each unit and maybe the odd DCX2496, the rest of the home cinema equipment will fit, although I might need to make some special modifications. I mean it needs to fit and can you get faceplates to cover gaps up!

matsj
06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
Like this .

jim campbell
06-16-2007, 07:48 AM
try middle atlantic products,riverdale new jersey.........it seems a bit more expensive than the stuff you describe but from what ive seen its quality,heavy duty stuff

mgphoto
06-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Ebay can be your friend. I've picked up several racks/cabinets for pennies on the dollar of the orignal price.

jim campbell
06-16-2007, 08:43 AM
interesting how stuff can cost so much new and so little used...........i found a rack about three feet high with a drawer and a power bar for nine dollars.......the wheels alone are worth tripple that

JBL 4645
06-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Like this .

Now that! Is what I’m talking about presentation!:applaud:

Ebay can be your friend. I've picked up several racks/cabinets for pennies on the dollar of the orignal price.

Na mate I wont touch Ebay with ten foot cattle prod!

try middle atlantic products,riverdale new jersey.........it seems a bit more expensive than the stuff you describe but from what ive seen its quality,heavy duty stuff

You know some kiddie on a different site mentioned that and no I’m not mentioning the sites name they have attitude problems!

Anyway do you have or do you know of any links to suppliers within the United Kingdom because I’ve exhausted all my searching ideas I’ve looked at (Turnkey) and (Digital Village) where I’ve brought my previous products, but the don’t have (Middle Atlantic) racks on there system.

So chaps, I’ve got 11 days and so far the (Samson SRK21) is on the list. Options gentleman, I have 11 days, on 27th Wednesday I’m ordering the Samson, unless someone can find a better make of rack system and taller as well and affordable under £200.00 pounds UK.

hjames
06-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Well, don't forget to check this thread - some great ideas there - I like Don's Doublewide rack - very very cool!
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12863

JBL 4645
06-16-2007, 04:23 PM
I found another supplier doing (Samson SRK21) at £74.99
http://www.makingwavesaudio.com/prodidividual.asp?CategoryID=46 (http://www.makingwavesaudio.com/prodidividual.asp?CategoryID=46)

Thanks for the thread link I’ve visited it.

I’ve also found another supplier doing (Samson SRK21) at £74.99
http://www.makingwavesaudio.com/prodidividual.asp?CategoryID=46 (http://www.makingwavesaudio.com/prodidividual.asp?CategoryID=46)

Thom
06-16-2007, 04:33 PM
On this side of the pond industrial racks can be had for a song at the end of most swap meets. I don't know if factory modernizations and such are handled the same over there or not.

jim campbell
06-16-2007, 04:38 PM
On this side of the pond industrial racks can be had for a song at the end of most swap meets. I don't know if factory modernizations and such are handled the same over there or not.i guess its the specialized nature of the gear.........they have audio swap meets?

JBL 4645
06-16-2007, 04:53 PM
i guess its the specialized nature of the gear.........they have audio swap meets?

LOL, I’m certainly not swapping my old Marartz amps if that’s what you’re thinking but I will swap that AIWA that I found for a Samson SRK21 rack!:D

On this side of the pond industrial racks can be had for a song at the end of most swap meets. I don't know if factory modernizations and such are handled the same over there or not.

Sorry mate, I wouldn’t know, but I’ve been looking around this evening and found some hits and misses in the price realm. It pays to shop around!:applaud:

mgphoto
06-17-2007, 06:50 AM
APC has distribution and dealers in the UK. http://www.apc.com

JBL 4645
06-17-2007, 09:53 AM
mgphoto

Thanks for the link mate, but some of the prices for those fine looking racks where too steep! If I had won the lottery, I might have said yes.

9 days looks like its going to be the Samson SRK21.

JBL 4645
06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
While I was watching Congo on region 2 DVD, I was thinking about the volume level changes that I’ve made this afternoon. Now I don’t mind if I had a friend looking at the sound system, what I do mind is when the volume levels have been changed!

So a security panel will be needed o prevent little fingers tampering with the Alesis amplifiers, as well as accidentally knocking them myself!

So a piece of simple MDF with supports placed behind it to prevent it from buckling in the middle of the faceplate.

I’ll get the MDF cut to size with a hole placed in the middle to show the barograph power level display and to get access to the power ON and OFF switch.

This would be of course a later project once all the racks are in place, the plane will be made removable for any changes to the Alesis amplifiers if needed.

I remember seeing this feature on the JBL Urei 6290 THX amplifiers at the EMPIRE, except the volume control was fitted with a tamper proof plate that prevented any changes to the volume settings at the EMPIRE.

Thom
06-17-2007, 12:29 PM
i guess its the specialized nature of the gear.........they have audio swap meets?

Electronics swap meets. It wouldn't surprise me if some one some where there is an audio swap meet but I'll confess to not being aware of one. I've seen lots of audio gear at swap meets put on both by computer geeks and ham clubs and while the pickins may be thin the chances that what you find might be at a price you want to pay is probably better. I find if you're looking for a deal on something desirable early is better because a dealer will snatch something that's cheap enough and desirable enough to just flip but if you want some junk or something that's just not everybody's cup of tea and it's big it will be cheap late.

JBL 4645
06-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Well looks like I’m going to hath to delay the rack system for a few more weeks, no matter I will settle on the Samson rack, its just I didn’t realize my direct debit card account was slightly overdrawn and thou I have just managed to get it within a few pounds near credit its going to hath to wait until late next month. Also I was thinking about finishing the amplifier array off first and then buy the a few racks and rack this all up in one go.

So there it is.

hjames
06-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Well looks like I’m going to hath to delay the rack system for a few more weeks, no matter I will settle on the Samson rack, its just I didn’t realize my direct debit card account was slightly overdrawn and thou I have just managed to get it within a few pounds near credit its going to hath to wait until late next month. Also I was thinking about finishing the amplifier array off first and then buy the a few racks and rack this all up in one go.

So there it is.

No way to find a spare or used rack in some kind of ham radio jumble?
They do use that kind of thing for their gear - and a nice can of shiny black paint could make it like new again ...

SEAWOLF97
06-27-2007, 08:03 PM
I only needed to house 8 componets and everything in the house is oak, so,

solid oak cabinet , $20 @ GW....the wire mess is speaker leads for testing.

JBL 4645
06-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Looks nice but I prefer the tight fit of the new audio equipment as it really needs that finish touch and no way am I’m going down to the radio Ham shop at Christchurch to see if they have second hand rack. I’m patient and I’ll just hath to wait a little bit longer.

Talking about Ham radio I had a Cobra 148 GTL-DX with a double high band that embalmed me to transmit illegally on the 28MHz band this going back many years now around 1983. I could hear this guy in Southampton, talking to someone down in the Falklands islands, thou I couldn’t hear the guy that was half way around the world he could hear me and this really pissed off the guy at Southampton.

That’s the furthest distance I’ve got with a mere 200watts and ¾ wave antenna, I think it was High Gain CLR 2:p. When the guy told me to piss off the 28MHz band I just started to key out his contact with some music:D. Well that’s what you get when you don’t share sodden Ham band users.:D

jim campbell
06-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Looks nice but I prefer the tight fit of the new audio equipment as it really needs that finish touch and no way am I’m going down to the radio Ham shop at Christchurch to see if they have second hand rack. I’m patient and I’ll just hath to wait a little bit longer.:Di guess you could always build a cabinet the right size and screw in your own rack rails.........the unthreaded type with the little clips can be had from the phone company here for under 25 bux.mine is done that way and has worked well for over 23 years..........the rack mount shelving costs about 45 dollars for a 2 space unit and the vented blanks about 20.........

Storm
06-28-2007, 02:29 PM
Seawolf -

Nice cabinet and equipment, but why the need for an equalizer? What is all that stuff in the cabinet?

Nice find!

;)

-Storm.

louped garouv
06-28-2007, 03:05 PM
an equalizer channel (or a few) can come in handy Storm, that's why....

;)

http://www.electronics-manufacturers.com/info/audio-electronics/audio-graphic-equalizer.html

...Graphic equalizers comprise a useful audio processing device, often allowing a listener to compensate for differences in taste or acoustic surroundings as appropriate....

JBL 4645
06-28-2007, 03:27 PM
i guess you could always build a cabinet the right size and screw in your own rack rails.........the unthreaded type with the little clips can be had from the phone company here for under 25 bux.mine is done that way and has worked well for over 23 years..........the rack mount shelving costs about 45 dollars for a 2 space unit and the vented blanks about 20.........

Yes I know you can buy the parts at a fraction of the cost and just buy some MDF at a fraction of the cost and build some customized rack stands I’m all for that, but it’s the sound of the tapping on the side of it, arr, its made of steel.

These are wonderfully suggestions and even thou this project is still been done on the affordable price level, several pro racks at around £74.99p isn’t too bad.

I see real rumble in the jungle amplifier in that rack of his.:applaud:

As far as I can tell from the makes and the lighting angle, from the top it looks like a

SONY Mididisc
Yamaha pre-amp?
Cambridge Audio?
EQ name I can see?
Denon CD player?
NAD per-amp?
SONY CD player?
And the amplifier that was used in Universals Earthquake theme ride?

SEAWOLF97
06-28-2007, 03:54 PM

As far as I can tell from the makes and the lighting angle, from the top it looks like a

SONY Mididisc
Yamaha pre-amp?
Cambridge Audio?
EQ name I can see?
Denon CD player?
NAD per-amp?
SONY CD player?
And the amplifier that was used in Universals Earthquake theme ride?

not bad, tho you missed the speakers

SONY Mididisc yes
Yamaha pre-amp? yes
Cambridge Audio? nu reality srs - pretty rare, I wudnt expect you to get that one.
EQ name I can see? adc eq
Denon CD player? carver cd
NAD per-amp? nad receiver
SONY CD player? sony ES 5 disk cd
And the amplifier that was used in Universals Earthquake theme yes

JBL 4645
06-28-2007, 04:25 PM
^^^^LOL, well I wasn’t far off, I say lets all take a bad picture with poor light on the equipment systems and guess what name you think it is?:D

Whoops Oh the OHM’s!:p

SEAWOLF97
06-28-2007, 04:41 PM
but why the need for an equalizer?
-Storm.

YOU CAN SEE THE SLIDERS ON THE eq ARE NOT lit, so not in use. as LG noted, an eq can be invaluable in adjusting for room anomalies. They are pretty cheap used, maybe not a bad experiment....

I have one EQ that I've been meaning to dig out that has electronic virtual sliders. The cool thing about it is that it has 6 profile memories. XM and FM need a certain boost since they are compressed, the Carver CD is a little bassey, so its profile reduces bass, the minidisk needs some boost ...etc. Different profile for each.

JBL 4645
06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Well I learnt that lesson and as soon as I get around to racking up some 1/3 octave EQ with 31 bands to get this baby really cooking I’ll be more than pleased. :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
06-28-2007, 07:28 PM

As far as I can tell from the makes and the lighting angle, from the top it looks like a ride?

you missed the Roady2 XM receiver in front of the light...can read "Rolling Stones" in the display if you look hard.

JBL 4645
06-28-2007, 07:59 PM
you missed the Roady2 XM receiver in front of the light...can read "Rolling Stones" in the display if you look hard.

LOL oh I see spot the difference I like this game.Now let me have another peek.:D

JBL 4645
06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Well that was kinder hard to spot what is it looks like a temperature digital gauge device?

Storm
06-28-2007, 09:11 PM
Why didn't you just edit your last post instead of adding another post?

;)

-Storm.

Well that was kinder hard to spot what is it looks like a temperature digital gauge device?

JBL 4645
06-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Now don’t be rude to me again please!

Storm
06-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Not being rude, dude. Just trying to teach you that you can edit your post. Only stating the obvious because you posted twice about the same subject. Therefore, an edit would have been in proper order -- not starting another post.

;)

Life's too short to be angry. No hard feelings here, just plain and simple help I am offering. Please don't take it the wrong way.

-Storm.

Now don’t be rude to me again please!

JBL 4645
06-29-2007, 01:50 AM
I’m aware of the edit button and I’ve used it quite frequently during the past few weeks. :)

SEAWOLF97
06-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Seawolf -

What is all that stuff in the cabinet?

Nice find!

;)

-Storm.

fair question.

long (for me) disjointed answer...

The big OHM F's have unreplaceable drivers. I love these speakers, SO, to make them maybe last longer, I run the bass flat. Not pictured are the B speakers - JBL 4412s and the Infinity powered sub, which do most of the bass production.

The OHMs are 4 ohm and 4412s are 8 ohm. When I ran them off a speaker selector box, the combined load was between 1.6 and 2.6 ohms. While the amp handled that load OK, I was a little concerned.

So when I picked up the Yammy preamp, it o/p's to 2 power sources. It runs A channel to the big BGW amp to the OHM F's. The NAD receiver is the B o/p and it runs the JBLs and sub. Gives me seperate tone and volume control over the B speakers.

Other boxes are minidisk , CArver CD - which is clean, but bassy , the Sony ES changer for when I just want to let 5 disks roll unterrupted. The SRS (sound retrieval system) widens the field , moves the vocal foreward and retrieves masked sounds. We've been thru the EQ. All these are wired into the Yam pre which now controls 5 speakers. And there is an XM receiver.

JBL 4645
06-07-2009, 12:54 PM
:wtf:
The price as shot up by at least £20 pounds!:banghead:

Well that’s kinder outside the budget plan. BUGGER IT! I know I should have brought these a few years ago at the under £100 pound mark!

http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=Samson+SRK21&hl=en

Well at least I still have plan B rack frames and D.I.Y. :) I’ll have to look for something similar in rack fames.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Well after 4 years I brought a Samson SRK21 equipment rack to start racking up the gear into tight small space where the computer sits. Te computer will be placed in the bedroom once I have some leads for phone/internet to trail from living room to bedroom.

I hope to get at least 4 racks in the space the height max will be (82 ½ inches or 6foot 8”) that is with the other racks caster wheels removed so it can rest on top of the other casing rack.

The depth of the casing should I hope be within a few millimetres of flash with chimney breast as (depth is 18 ½ and rack depth is 18”).The skirting-board might push the rack out by ½ inch and that won’t bother me in the slightest.

The package arrived this afternoon a little past 1:00 pm and has taken about an hour from unpacking to final assembly. Next time it should take 30min as I’m somewhat now familiar with its assembly now.

I think the price was good yes ebay from an audio studio supply and its not April its May now! I also think for the cost under £100.00 free delivery is good otherwise I’d had pay devilry charge if I brought it from another studio supplier of £6.00. For the weight of the item its good buy it neat it smells oily at least the handling the screws has traces of oil so the screw heads secure the casing.

The wheels make it easy to move around. I didn’t know it was going to be so heavy. Its going to be a whole lot heaver after it’s been racked up.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Nicely packed in cardboard I like to keep the box thou hoarding it in cupboard is (obsessive hoarding) :D so its going in the bin, its severed its purpose in getting the item devalued safely.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:01 AM
I was excited by this time of slowly unpacking as it’s my first rack.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:03 AM
I’m even more thrilled now and its only a rack. :D I like the sound of crinkly plastic in the afternoon.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Checking the contents of the box over for assembly parts and all seems to be in order.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Yep all the parts necessary for the assembly seem to be in order.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:11 AM
x1 rack space bar with Samson logo on it.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:13 AM
It’s so simple to put together I wonder how many units I can cram into it?

I got the continuity mixed up by a few picture, this one shows the side plate attached to rack.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Pillars fixed securely to the base.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:20 AM
The item looks smart enough not overdone, just simple.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:23 AM
Another view shows around the side of the racks casing.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Hopefully I can get x2 cases side by side on the floor between the chimney breast and door with another x2 racks stacked on top as I slowly revamp the audio gear to 19” pro-gear.

loach71
05-03-2011, 08:32 AM
For all those wishing to build a rack system, please take Heather's sage advice to heart. Keeping GOOD airflow around your equipment is a MUST. The cost of a $5 vent panel is miniscule when compared to a heat damaged power amp!

hjames
05-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Wow - looking at that first picture is a step back in time ...
my current rack is taller, VERY heavy (100+ lbs) and still has perforated front panels between every device to help with airflow.
Both are open in the back, and have no fans.

Remember what Robbh told me - plan to leave room between your active (powered) gear & get some blank panels with holes punched in them to improve the air flow.

My "Mini Rack" is just a couple short rails I got from Guitar Center, bolted to some scrap Beech shelf material I bought for $1 each at IKEA. I don't have room for a regular roll around rack in the room, and most of my other gear lacks rack mount 'ears" anyway.

I know you don't want fans, but hot air rising will pull cool air in, if there are vent holes.
Cool gear is happy gear - works better, lower noise and and lasts longer!
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=25822&stc=1&d=1182009402 http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=51087&d=1303571156

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
For all those wishing to build a rack system, please take Heather's sage advice to heart. Keeping GOOD airflow around your equipment is a MUST. The cost of a $5 vent panel is miniscule when compared to a heat damaged power amp!

I’ll take that onboard I gather the heat from the Alesis RA300 will rise temperature a bit most of the other items are fairly cool.

Items that do generate a bit of heat

Harman Kardon AVP1a
Behringer MDX4600
Alesis RA300

The above is the hottest! Why that Harman gets so damn hot I’ll never understand it’s a flipping processor not a nuclear power reactor! :D I guess it needs audio processing power!

The MDX4600 now that gets warm if not hot! I could fry an egg on it.

Alesis RA300 they’re slightly milder at throwing out heat that is noticeable when it gets warm in the living room on sunny warm day it feels like being outside in direct sunlight.

Also the £5.00 for vent panel where can you get that from I gather ebay since its now May and I’m back into (buying now) $5.00 dollars would work out something like a couple of pounds in UK yeah sure I’ll buy that few couple of £ pounds.

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Wow - looking at that first picture is a step back in time ...
my current rack is taller, VERY heavy (100+ lbs) and still has perforated front panels between every device to help with airflow.
Both are open in the back, and have no fans.

Yes airflow seems to be important audio safeguard tip of the day!

I’ll place a few pc fans in and around the inside set at low voltage to blow a cool air that will be whisper silent, and that should take an edge of the heat.

Your rack as slowly gone from short to tall what, are your feeding it? :D

hjames
05-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Yes airflow seems to be important audio safeguard tip of the day!

I’ll place a few pc fans in and around the inside set at low voltage to blow a cool air that will be whisper silent, and that should take an edge of the heat.

Your rack as slowly gone from short to tall what, are your feeding it? :D

Originally fed it from the Preamp out of an HK AVR -
now its fed the pure signals from the Integra processor

I started with the hottest amp on top, but Bo mentioned that was dangerous once the rack got taller -
seemed the hottest amp was also the heaviest amp, and the rack can get tippy if the heaviest is at the top -
bad with the JBL/UREI 6260 (and 6230) - now its much heavier with a pair of Adcom GFA-555s!

Besides, my rack doesn't even have wheels on them - I suspect they can be more tippy with wheels!!

JBL 4645
05-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Rack shelving will be needed for other items that don’t have (rack ear mounting plates) to make everything neat and tide. I’ll have to look for the best low (buy now) price. I need to place non-racked 19” audio gear and video devices.

Video
Pioneer laserdisc player
Pioneer DVD
Sony bluray/DVD
Phillips bluray/DVD
Yamada DVD-RW

Audio
Kenwood KRF-X9050D THX select
Yamaha DSR-70
Yamaha DSP-100
Pioneer VSP-200
Harman Kardon AVP1a

The rest of the non-pro EQ expect for the Technics SH-8055 is not a bad EQ thou most of the new EQ will be taken up with pro 31 band Behringer FBQ3102.

I like to stat racking now that means! Disassemble!!!! :D

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee15/Evolution3417/shortcircuit1.jpg

This is going to take several hours!

I have an order in which to do it for the time being and it would be lot easier to remove items and install new items has the year goes along.

So many rack trays to choice from and all universally same the size with different colours well a can of spray paint can transfer form it to black in matter of minutes. The cost also varies from silly prices to down to Earth sensible prices at shy over £10.00 pounds

I don’t want rake shelf draws that slide out they only cost a lot more! I think looking at the cost of most trays at around +£30.00 no way would I pay that! A shy over £10.00 yes due to the amount of trays I’ll need for x10 non-rack items just over £130.00 when summing up the total figure.

JBL 4645
05-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know if the one rack can be mated to another rack of the same make and model to extend the height of the tower rack? I think it’s in the design of the racks?

I want to mate the next rack so it can be fitted securely without any tendency to move if its not possible I’ll remove the wheels and let the sheer weight of the rack hold it down on top of the rack below it.

Lee in Montreal
05-04-2011, 08:47 AM
I like that Samson rack. Casters are great as they allow to move the tower around when comes time to make connections. In regard of heat, I would suggest to not use the side panels. This way, air can circulate freely.

JBL 4645
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
I like that Samson rack. Casters are great as they allow to move the tower around when comes time to make connections. In regard of heat, I would suggest to not use the side panels. This way, air can circulate freely.

Amps only get warm when driven hard! I run the system at sensible SPL db levels I don’t run the LCR at 150watts or even 50watts I only need at few watts power for 85db. Same goes for the JBL sub the levels have to be within the running of the JBL control 5 not +20 db higher otherwise the frequency response won’t match it would overwhelm the LCR with a smooth LFE.1 boom noise!

I’m going to fit the inside of the cabinet with pc fans set at low voltage to blow cool air around the gear so that should reduce any risk of high build up of heat.

Plus fact I don’t want to look at the sides of the rack I want to get all this gear neatly stacked tiredly.

You’re right about the wheels it’s easier to move if it didn’t have wheels it would rub against a carpet if not ripping the carpet to shreds! The wheels glide over the floor and the rack as it is at the moment is DAMN HEAVY! Try lifting it as whole and you’ll be in hospital! :D

I have new LED touch I brought last week that has been beneficial in looking behind while wiring up as its fairly dark inside. I might install a tiny light inside the rack an LED light I have one of these sticky LED lights that takes AAA batteries a few of them placed on the inside of the rack should work okay, thou the touch will suffice.

The warmest item at the moment appears to be the Harman Kardon AVP1a the MDX4600 seems to be running a bit cooler at the moment? The Alesis RA300 seems to be also running cool.

Over the weeks I have been looking at racks on ebay (buy now) only some nice tall ones second hand (pick only) sigh. I thought might as well buy a brand new one and add racks on top into a large rack tower.

Other racks costing £700.00 or more madness! Who in their right mind will shell out £700.00 or Dollars yen what ever on cabinet? Some come with fancy glass fronts but I don’t need glass. Cinemas don’t use glass thou a few (a few might us glass doors). They do look so choice but the cost really.

I think for £99.99 delivered its done a lot in one day where a wooden rack stacked along the floor was taking up at least 19 inches of floor space due to the fact its stuck in front of the chimney breast! I couldn’t have placed that wooden rack where the Samson rack is now, I’d have to climb over it! :D to get out of the living room.

Also having the pc in the bedroom is different its made the living room a lot quieter over the pc fan noise. The only noise I can hear is the odd few Alesis RA300 amps very mild a lot softer than pc fan noise.

If the new Behreinger A500 put out a much heat as the Alesis RA300 thou they are similar in spec and design it wouldn’t surprise me if they are cooler or the same.

I’ll have to attach cables with cable ties I don’t have any at the moment only wire tiring up the cables the mains cables that will be undone and redone once I get the second rack installed. I’ll have to fit the mains extension cable junction to the inside the rack so I can reduce the cable from audio gear and tighten it up so cables don’t hang down keep them at horizontal while the cable bends and travels down along the inside the cabinet to mains extension cable box.

I’ll leave at least a good 15/20 inches of cable slack from the mains power point so cables won’t get sagged or ripped from the plugs.

JBL 4645
05-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Like this .
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=25809&stc=1&d=1181973894

I do like matsj (rack for the fact its stacked) with DCX2496 now that looks super co:cool:ol. and of course Crown QSC.

JBL 4645
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Re-thinking the racking situation over and I don’t want the rack or the rack shouldn’t go too high due to left sidewall surround positioning.

SRK16 and SRK 12 are my best option for adding on any extra height SRK 16 looks favourable as that would leave plenty of clearance for the rack to be moved out without knocking into the control 1 headroom will be at least 4 inches!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/r...%20Drawing.pdf

I could move the Behringer audio processing into the SRK 16 with amps taking up space in SRK 21 and audio/video in the other SRK 21 and another SRK 16 so it might turn out to be x4 Samson racks x2 large racks with x2 medium size racks. Otherwise I’d have to change the surrounds entirely.

The other option number 2 is to place SRK21 in the bedroom which would isolate any mains transform hum from the amps being audible while listening to film soundtracks (that is only option number 2 for the meantime). I have to find space in the bedroom to accommodate the rack space! I have sofa that is taking up a lot of space a bed that I sleep on a computer desk that might well be sold and smaller desk placed in its place!

Or option number 3! I can place the amps racked in the kitchen!

Its just I don’t want humming amps sounding I like to listen to the sound of music not the sound of humming amps when the dynamics on films are playing at softer level.

I'll play it by ear for the meantime and see how it progress over the next few months.