PDA

View Full Version : looking for standard JBLD120F push terminal

horseshead
06-15-2007, 05:33 AM
where can I find the top part of the standard two part JBL D120F "push/crimp" type terminal? Mine fell off and apparently rolled off without saying goodbye. Thanks - Rick

John W
06-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Are these small (1/4") or large (1/2"), red or black. I have some small ones laying around and could send you one.

horseshead
06-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Isn't it a common item easily gotten in most hardware stores? Perhaps if not then an electrical supply seller has these. Buy 100 for $10?
Rick

Thom
06-16-2007, 01:28 PM
It's almost standard. I believe standard is to have the holes go through. JBL didn't trust you to be smart enough not to short the wires on the back side so the hole doesn't go through out the back. They are nicer about it but actually say so in literature.

hjames
06-16-2007, 08:22 PM
It's almost standard. I believe standard is to have the holes go through. JBL didn't trust you to be smart enough not to short the wires on the back side so the hole doesn't go through out the back. They are nicer about it but actually say so in literature.
Spade lugs are poor mechanical connectors at best, with ring terminals just slightly better.
Better to do some kind of soldered connection that is mechanically strong as well as electrically robust.

Thom
06-17-2007, 01:02 PM
Spade lugs are poor mechanical connectors at best, with ring terminals just slightly better.
Better to do some kind of soldered connection that is mechanically strong as well as electrically robust.

I'm confused as to what your answer has to do with mine. I'm not taking exception to what you are saying. It is actually debatable but I usually take the solder side myself. I just don't understand what hidden message I communicated that I wasn't even aware of and still can't see when I re-read what I posted.

I don't know why people think rings make better contact than spades. I've been ordered to cut off spades before and put rings on. There is a marginal difference in surface area. The advantage to rings is that if they get loose they won't fall off but they will still make a bad connection.

Zilch
06-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't know what either of you are talking about, or rather, more specifically, why, as it seems to me that horseshead is talking about the spring terminals, which are not, to the best of my experience, available at the local hardware store. :blink:

The small ones are still being made as I recall, but not available from JBL. The larger ones are....

horseshead
06-18-2007, 04:35 AM
spring terminals (sic) are not, to the best of my experience, available at the local hardware store. :blink:

The small ones are still being made as I recall, but not available from JBL. The larger ones are....[/quote]

To discover if it's a small or a large spring terminal, what is the correct way to measure it? - Rick

Robh3606
06-18-2007, 07:18 AM
To discover if it's a small or a large spring terminal, what is the correct way to measure it? - Rick

Re-read the second post in this thread. He is talking about the diameter of the post. You still have the bases but the top black and red caps fell off?? That's exactly what happened to mine.

Rob:)

Thom
06-18-2007, 11:03 AM
It's probably not important, but I have never seen the blind ones except on jbl speakers. Then again there are lots of other things I have never seen. Aren't the ones that mount on a spoke a little different length then the ones that mount to their own cast pad? Soldering them works fine as long as they are physically supported at an insulator on the frame so your speaker wires don't hang off the cone. (yes, I've seen this) and you don't let the tinsel wick up solder so it doesn't flex. (seen that to)

As to how to tell the large SQUARE ones from the small ROUND ones. If you have to ask let someone else do it.

horseshead
06-18-2007, 11:53 AM
Re-read the second post in this thread. He is talking about the diameter of the post. You still have the bases but the top black and red caps fell off?? That's exactly what happened to mine.

Rob:)

wow that's very bizzare - the second post mentions 1/4" or 1/2" but not diameter. Thanks. So what did you do?

Rick

horseshead
06-18-2007, 11:56 AM
It's probably not important, but I have never seen the blind ones except on jbl speakers. Then again there are lots of other things I have never seen. Aren't the ones that mount on a spoke a little different length then the ones that mount to their own cast pad? Soldering them works fine as long as they are physically supported at an insulator on the frame so your speaker wires don't hang off the cone. (yes, I've seen this) and you don't let the tinsel wick up solder so it doesn't flex. (seen that to)

As to how to tell the large SQUARE ones from the small ROUND ones. If you have to ask let someone else do it.

So mine is a round one - no need to measure the diameter. By eyeball, I can see it's no where near a 1/2" diameter so it must be the 1/4

What is your suggestion. I need to do it myself if it's simple. I used to do these kinds of things everyday for about 12 years.

Rick

Thom
06-18-2007, 12:13 PM
The connector is made of telescoping tubes. The buttons sit atop the outer tubes which are spring loaded. Are the outer tubes still there and are they still spring loaded or are only the inner tubes there?

Zilch
06-18-2007, 12:23 PM
What is your suggestion.John W said he'd send you one in post number 2. He has the small ones. That's apparently what you need. Send him a Private Message telling him which color you want and your mailing address. If the little spring is missing, THAT (or equivalent) is likely available at your local hardware store.

Spring goes in, cap goes on, and you crimp in the part of the cap below the wire opening to keep it in place....

The connector is made of telescoping tubes. The buttons sit atop the outer tubes which are spring loaded. Are the outer tubes still there and are they still spring loaded or are only the inner tubes there?Well, yes, it could be just the colored plastic "hat" is missing, but typically, it's the whole pushable portion that falls off, rolls away, and is ultimately batted under the refrigerator by the cat.

The spring may usually be found in the vacuum cleaner bag.... ;)

John W
06-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Just for clarification, here is an image from a D120 pulled off ebay. I have a few of these lying around, mostly from old crossovers. I have an address and will mail a couple off.

Along the same lines, anyone notice the 2435HPL drivers have a really beefed up spring in the binding post? I wonder what the engineering requirement was for that?

Zilch
06-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Along the same lines, anyone notice the 2435HPL drivers have a really beefed up spring in the binding post? I wonder what the engineering requirement was for that?Yes indeed, John.

Takes two hands to depress some of them, which is kind of, well, "counterproductive." :p