PDA

View Full Version : posting problem

sailor
06-13-2007, 10:29 PM
Hi, I managed to post on the diy forum my first attempt but in trying to reply to a responce the page comes up blank when I click the "submit reply" button and asks me to log in although I can read " Welcome sailor" and also on this page read "Logged in as sailor" Please help.

hjames
06-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Hi, I managed to post on the diy forum my first attempt but in trying to reply to a responce the page comes up blank when I click the "submit reply" button and asks me to log in although I can read " Welcome sailor" and also on this page read "Logged in as sailor" Please help.

have you ever logged in to this site before, perhaps with another username?

Some folks have been here before, forget their username or password, and tried to create a new ID but then have problems ...

sailor
06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Hi Heather, I know what you're saying and no this is my first registration on this forum. Remember I am able to log in, just nothing happens when I click "submit reply". I am going try and send this now, so if it goes off then maybe the problem has resolved itself.
Regards.

hjames
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi Heather, I know what you're saying and no this is my first registration on this forum. Remember I am able to log in, just nothing happens when I click "submit reply". I am going try and send this now, so if it goes off then maybe the problem has resolved itself.
Regards.

Looks ok to me. I am a way from the site and sometimes things hang for a while when I reply - I always figured it was just a slow connection to the internet from my end - I'm near Washington, DC and things get busy around town here and that can slow our outside connections ...

sailor
06-14-2007, 12:07 PM
This has just happened again when trying to post on the diy forum. I am loged in, type a reply, hit "submit" and a blank form comes up telling me I am not logged in. I need help here.However posting on "forum issues" seems to work. :bs:
Regards

hjames
06-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Okay, I'm just a member here, not a moderator, but to do any kind of troubleshooting I need to know a bit more about your system;

What kind of machine - how much memory?
(PC - Intel, AMD, or? Mac - G3. G4, G5 Intel?

What Operating system and what version
(I'm on Mac OSX 10.4.9 - if you are Windows, which one?)

What browser do you use and what version
(I usually use Firefox 2.0 but sometimes folks use IE 6 or IE7, AOL, or even Opera)

How do you get online?
Telephone modem, Cable TV Modem, wireless, internet cafe?

It looks to me like sometimes it works for you and sometimes not -...
more info may help to figure why when it doesn't work ...

boputnam
06-14-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm not entirely sure of what is going on - kudos Heather for having a go at it.

Bear with us, Sailor. I've reported this and thereby escalated it to the Admin doods. Help is on the way...

In the meanwhile, enjoy Durban (I know I do!!). :smthsail:

johnaec
06-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Do you have cookies enabled, which I believe is necessary to remain logged in?

John

Don McRitchie
06-16-2007, 07:34 PM
The most common reason for this problem is that the cookie for your registration has either been lost or was never issued. Without cookies, your session times out after a fixed period, and if this happens while composing a post, you may be asked to log in again when you submit.

To resolve both, ensure that cookies are enabled by examining your browser's option settings. Most importantly, make sure that the check box next to "Remember Me" on the login form is filled when you log in. It is this check box that allows the cookie to be issued.

sailor
06-18-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi everybody, I played with the cookie settings and checked the "remember me" box as suggested. This seems to have solved the problem as I successfully managed to post on the diy forum. Many thanks to those kind people who took time to respond to a niggling problem.
Regards.